GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've seen those but haven't messed with them. It would be an interesting option if MPI wasn't on the horizon. But with the cost of these and the added benefits of MPI, I decided not to go that route personally. DI is great for overall power, but PI keeps things much cleaner. We do have access to all the injector data in Cobb, so it is possible.

-- Ed

I imagine not many people have messed with them, the entry fee is mighty steep. Especially considering the need I assume for the HPFP upgrade as well as a standard LPFP upgrade to supply these, unless a lower pressure higher flow situation negates that HPFP need.

Throw on top of that the valve cleaning benefits of MPI for the long term, and you've doubled your costs and gained nothing. I guess maybe these injectors on top of MPI could allow for a more effective fueling for people north of 700+ HP, but I don't know whose pockets are deep enough to find out :eek:

Thanks for responding!

CmlapisMK7R

I just purchased Ed's stage 1 ECU/TCU Base map. It has a amazingly smooth powerband. I highly recommand his e-tunes.

Ed,

If I order your stage 2 map when I get my downpipe do I need the stage 2 Tcu map also?

Thanks Colin

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
An e-tune is always going to be better overall and will usually allow us to dial in a bit more power as well as make sure things are running properly for your specific car and mods. But my OTS maps run very well and are generally on the safe side. So if you're not looking for every last bit, they're a great option.

Thanks

-- Ed

Would you be able to say what the hp/tq gains are of an E30 map over the OTS 91 octane map? I'm still debating on whether or not it's worth it for me to get an ethanol map on top of an OTS.

As mentioned, my GTI's only engine mod would be an intercooler.

Thanks for answering our questions, Ed. I've spent the past couple of hours looking through your website and weighing all the possible options. At this point, I'm pretty much just waiting for myself to be prepared for the tuning process.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Would you be able to say what the hp/tq gains are of an E30 map over the OTS 91 octane map? I'm still debating on whether or not it's worth it for me to get an ethanol map on top of an OTS.

Thanks for answering our questions, Ed. I've spent the past couple of hours looking through your website and weighing all the possible options. At this point, I'm pretty much just waiting for myself to be prepared for the tuning process.

Obviously I can't speak for EQT's specific tunes, but with my 5150 tunes there is a very healthy difference between my 91 file and my ethanol mix (E40) file. Similar to you, I basically only have an intercooler upgrade with stock airbox mods. I trapped 109.5 mph under crappy conditions, and I'm transmissionally impaired (I have a 6MT), which I think is pretty good for stage 1. I've seen posts from others who have realized around a 20-30 whp increase throughout the powerband on an IS20. If you have easy access to E85 in your area, you'd have to be crazy to not also get an ethanol file :D

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have a GTI with APR Stage 1 High torque tune right now. If I wanted to get your TCU tune, would I have to buy a Cobb accesport with the tune loaded on it, or could I come down to your shop (I'm close by in Davis) and have you guys flash the TCU tune onto my car?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
You could buy the cobb from him and he could load the map on it, or you could buy the cobb then buy the map from him and he'll e-mail it to you.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Ed, thanks for setting up this Q&A. Just what we needed, especially regarding wide temperature swings by region.

I'm very happy with the EQT Stg.2 base map that I purchased a few weeks ago. Is there any discount if I choose to e-tune in the near future? Might be a good gateway drug for others.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLI1MkgSxE

The results will vary depending on downpipe/exhaust setup. Catted cars get less aggressive pops.

-- Ed
Hey Ed

Thanks for setting this up, this will be very helpful for us that have bought your kit or those looking into getting it.

My question is in regards to the pops and bangs. I've read and heard over the forums that pop and bang tunes are not ideal for turbo health and longevity. Any truth to this?

Cheers mate!

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

I would expect around 40whp going from 91 to E30 on the IS20.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I have a GTI with APR Stage 1 High torque tune right now. If I wanted to get your TCU tune, would I have to buy a Cobb accesport with the tune loaded on it, or could I come down to your shop (I'm close by in Davis) and have you guys flash the TCU tune onto my car?

We can't flash the TCU without an AccessPort. So you would have to have or purchase the AP with DSG flashing to run any of our tunes currently.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, thanks for setting up this Q&A. Just what we needed, especially regarding wide temperature swings by region.

I'm very happy with the EQT Stg.2 base map that I purchased a few weeks ago. Is there any discount if I choose to e-tune in the near future? Might be a good gateway drug for others.

I haven't really considered this, but we can work something out. How do you guys feel about a $50 discount on an E-Tune if you purchased an OTS map within the last 6 months, and assuming the mod list hasn't changed significantly?

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey Ed

Thanks for setting this up, this will be very helpful for us that have bought your kit or those looking into getting it.

My question is in regards to the pops and bangs. I've read and heard over the forums that pop and bang tunes are not ideal for turbo health and longevity. Any truth to this?

Cheers mate!

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Pops and bangs can cause some wear and tear on turbo, cat, and exhaust in general. However, I try to set it up so that its not aggressive enough to cause any long term issues.

Thanks
-- Ed

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I would expect around 40whp going from 91 to E30 on the IS20.

Thanks

-- Ed
*drool*
I guess I'll be sticking to my E85 station after all.

Alright well I know where my tax refund is going. Thanks again for the answers, Ed!

tytus1994

Ready to race!
I haven't really considered this, but we can work something out. How do you guys feel about a $50 discount on an E-Tune if you purchased an OTS map within the last 6 months, and assuming the mod list hasn't changed significantly?

Thanks

-- Ed
Ed this is interesting. I'm stage 2 apr GTI but I have been eyeing your ots stage and Cobb AP. The goal down the road would be to go stage 3 which I would still need the Cobb. When I get to stage 3 I would want a custom etune from you. But it doesn't seem cost effective to do your ots only to do a custom tune down the road. Is there a way to do this and make it cost effective?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk