GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

littlejoe1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 ID.4 😲
New Guy

New guy checking in from Riverside. Have had a ton of VWs over the years including a couple GTIs ('84, '10) but have been living in a pokey Passat Wagon TDI for a while. Nice to be back in the GTI clan and have some oomph in my pedal again. Picked up a '19 Rabbit Edition. Didn't want a sunroof, wanted the lighting package, loved the color, so it all lined up. If you're into older dubs and ever heard of Harsh Winters Volkswagen Club (or the old annual Bug-A-Palooza show) I started that club when I was 16 and putzing around in a '71 Super Beetle. (Though I think it's gone a bit defunct the past couple of years while I was off living in Arizona for a decade.) For the record, I am now without an air-cooled and will probably remain that way until I'm done throwing money at this Rabbit. :D Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself since I'm pretty easy to spot on the road if you're anywhere between Brookfield and Lombard, where I work.

Attachments

• smurf.jpg
    smurf.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 215

oSniper

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
No presents for my GTI, but i’m having it's cracked windshield replaced this Saturday. Today I conducted some research to see if a Mustang GT 5.0 or a Focus ST are faster than a APR stage 2 MK7. Conclusion, they're not.
Where did you go and how much was it? Looking around to get mine replaced as well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Where did you go and how much was it? Looking around to get mine replaced as well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had the windshield replaced by one of those companies that comes to you. Warranties and costs were similar across the different companies. My insurance company paid for most of it. Like most repair work performed, you can’t always rely on the company’s name to ensure the quality of the work. The technician performing the work plays a big part. To help make sure the job started off on the right foot I first washed the car. Because it was pretty cold outside, I parked it in a heated building overnight. The next morning the work was performed inside without issues. The technician warned me that the most critical part of the repair was to allow the sealant to cure. He recommended to avoid spraying the windshield area with water for 24 hours. The sealant is pretty soft until it cures, and can be damaged by the pressure of the spray. Another recommendation was to lower a window just a hair to prevent generating any pressure in the cabin when shutting a door.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The season is right around the corner... What kind of projects are you guys doing? I've got my front end torn apart, finally installing the oil cooler that I've had for over a year. Rebuilding the brake calipers on the BBK and then just changing all the fluids and I'll be set.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That's some hardcore $hit - sounds exciting! Hopefully i'll get to installing my b12 pro kit this spring. It has been sitting in the box for almost 3 yrs. If i don't install it this year i'm selling it (at least that's what i've been telling myself all these yrs). Spring, or should i say 'summers' just go by way too fast around here.

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
The season is right around the corner... What kind of projects are you guys doing? I've got my front end torn apart, finally installing the oil cooler that I've had for over a year. Rebuilding the brake calipers on the BBK and then just changing all the fluids and I'll be set.

Might not make it out this season. After my last trip to Blackhawk last year I am a bit worried the 312mm are not enough for me on track. Going to save $$, get some PP or bigger brakes, and try to get out next season. Sad panda.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Might not make it out this season. After my last trip to Blackhawk last year I am a bit worried the 312mm are not enough for me on track. Going to save $$, get some PP or bigger brakes, and try to get out next season. Sad panda.

It's more about the pad and fluid you choose than the size of the rotor. A good track pad and good high temp fluid will be fine. If you're going to upgrade, just go with a BBK vs PP brakes. Those really aren't much of an upgrade from stock. Still a single piston floating caliper. The pad/rotor surface area is almost the same.

DAS_STIG

Banned
It's more about the pad and fluid you choose than the size of the rotor. A good track pad and good high temp fluid will be fine. If you're going to upgrade, just go with a BBK vs PP brakes. Those really aren't much of an upgrade from stock. Still a single piston floating caliper. The pad/rotor surface area is almost the same.

Well last year I fried my brakes (literally pads disintegrated on second run of the day) at Blackhawk Farms. I had the best pad street/track I could find without going for those Endless MX72, but they were rated for some track duty. Maybe I should have gone with a track dedicated pad. My fluid held up fine (Motul RBF600) even with basically metal back vs rotor braking and smoking calipers (I even scorched the paint on the caliper itself). The pad/rotor surface area might be the same, but the totla volume/heat capacity of the 340mm rotor is something like 40% more vs the 312mm when you do the math. I guess spending the $400 on the front pads from Endless and changing them out for winter would be cheaper than try to get a full BBK, so maybe I can spring for it this summer.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Well last year I fried my brakes (literally pads disintegrated on second run of the day) at Blackhawk Farms. I had the best pad street/track I could find without going for those Endless MX72, but they were rated for some track duty. Maybe I should have gone with a track dedicated pad. My fluid held up fine (Motul RBF600) even with basically metal back vs rotor braking and smoking calipers (I even scorched the paint on the caliper itself). The pad/rotor surface area might be the same, but the totla volume/heat capacity of the 340mm rotor is something like 40% more vs the 312mm when you do the math. I guess spending the $400 on the front pads from Endless and changing them out for winter would be cheaper than try to get a full BBK, so maybe I can spring for it this summer.

I'd personally never trust a street/track pad for track use. Unless you're out there putzing around they aren't going to cut it.

I tried Endless a few years back and wasn't impressed. I've since been using Carbotech pads, they are about $200 for a set of front pads but have a heat rating up to 2000 degrees. I go hard on my brakes and paired with castrol SRF fluid, I can go entire 30 minute sessions on track without having any brake fade. I'm going to be adding some brake ducts at some point this year to really get some air flow to the brakes but even without it they have been fine. I'd give them a shot. They are a bit noisy if you're using them on the street but it doesn't bother me much. Even if you wanted to swap pads out just for track days, it only really takes 10 min or so each axle to swap pads.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Not knowing your driving style, it could also be your driving that is cooking the brakes. On a track you want to be hard on the brakes intitially, and then off. Riding the brakes through a corner or not applying full pressure is what causes them to heat up. You want to spend a little time possible on the brakes which means maximum pressure to get as much braking possible and then off.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Not knowing your driving style, it could also be your driving that is cooking the brakes. On a track you want to be hard on the brakes intitially, and then off. Riding the brakes through a corner or not applying full pressure is what causes them to heat up. You want to spend a little time possible on the brakes which means maximum pressure to get as much braking possible and then off.

Ha, it was quite the opposite of your concern. I felt way more comfortable that day as it was my third time out and I was actually going full on the brakes and really going deep before braking. I was way more aggressive on the brakes compared to the previous two track days where I was easing onto the brakes way early. From what I hear it was probably the track that did me in. Everyone I talked to says Blackhawk seems like a short course where you do not get much speed, but because it's so short your brakes also have no time to cool between turns.

I did not realize Carbotech was available for the 312mm. Will check it out and maybe grab a set for this summer then. Maybe I will get out to a few track days yet.