GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air intake evaluation

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Intakes are useless once the incoming air becomes too hot for timing adjustment to make additional power. Try running a hot lap with an open element filter and see what your IAT's look like. Then compare them to a chart with your timing adjustment. You'll likely be losing power to heat. Doesn't really matter how well it flows, you'll just be flowing hot air in faster. People spend hundreds of dollars on great intercoolers and then throw an open air element filter set up on their car. Counter intuitive at the least

How many people on here are running hot laps? I’m not, and there’s other solutions for different setups

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think you are misreading what i said or what you point to, because you're helping make my point. The mass that goes in must come out, plain and simple. That's called conservation of mass.

But let's consider your argument. Since you believe that flow out the turbo doesn't matter and boost is everything, you put a tiny orifice between turbo and intake manifold to get more boost pressure. You get a ton of boost pressure but no power, since your mass flow is limited by your tiny orifice. The whole point of boost is increased mass. Internal combustion engine 101.

There’s also the factor of IF the intake does in fact cool the air, the turbo will make the same power at lower boost levels since cold air is so much more dense.

There’s a lot of factors that contribute to making power.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
DV keeps the compressor wheel spinning, to reduce lag in between shifts during acceleration.

BOV lets it go, so you induce more lag of the turbo.

There’s also the theory that a dv is more likely to create compressor surge

Also, I know the guy with the fastest k04 time (different gen I know) and he was running a bov