GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 GTI - Low Torque Setting, Warranty

donmico93

Hi guys,

I own a GTI Performance manual which is fantastic. But I'm considering getting a bit more out of it with the Stage 1 APR upgrade. I read a lot about clutch slippage with the manual. I'm currently not willing to upgrade the clutch yet.

Has anyone got the low upgrade option? What are the numbers HP and torque wise? Worth it ?

Also with the car a year into the warranty, is there a way of hiding the ECU upgrade from VW, when it goes for a service?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Well this one is easy, don't flash your car.

There are so many supporting mods that you can do to set your car up for the future when your warranty expires.

Dogbones, mounts, control arms, springs, RSB, lightweight wheels, Micheln Pilot SS, stainless steel clutch lines, bleeder block, driver mod etc etc etc

All of the above you can do and fill comfortable with taking your car in.

It's better than worrying about if things will be covered and you won't have to risk your good name by commiting fraud.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Once you flash your car's ECU there's nothing you can do to "hide" it from a dealership technician.

So if warranty is a concern, don't flash it. You could get a jb1 piggy back to give a nice boost in power. Just take it out before you bring your car to the dealership then put it back in when it's done.

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Hi guys,

I own a GTI Performance manual which is fantastic. But I'm considering getting a bit more out of it with the Stage 1 APR upgrade. I read a lot about clutch slippage with the manual. I'm currently not willing to upgrade the clutch yet.

Has anyone got the low upgrade option? What are the numbers HP and torque wise? Worth it ?

Also with the car a year into the warranty, is there a way of hiding the ECU upgrade from VW, when it goes for a service?

You can't hide anything from the dealer. If you have a VW that is an APR dealer near you, I would give them a visit and discuss how they approach servicing/doing warranty work.

As for clutch, my understanding is, if you want to tune, you're going to most likely invest in a new one.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
You can't hide anything from the dealer. If you have a VW that is an APR dealer near you, I would give them a visit and discuss how they approach servicing/doing warranty work.

As for clutch, my understanding is, if you want to tune, you're going to most likely invest in a new one.

+1

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
Once you flash your car's ECU there's nothing you can do to "hide" it from a dealership technician.

So if warranty is a concern, don't flash it. You could get a jb1 piggy back to give a nice boost in power. Just take it out before you bring your car to the dealership then put it back in when it's done.
Another good thing about this route is once it's out of warranty and you do decide to flash, you have a perfectly good methanol controller already installed should you decide you want to do that too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't forget the drivetrain warranty is 5 years long. And even after you're out of warranty, if a problem arises that VW will extend he warranty for, like the Mechatronics unit on MKV's, you're still screwed if you have a flash tune.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Friendly dealer doesn't mean you are safe either. Vw determines warranty coverage, not the dealership. Mod friendly dealer can only do so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Look up "Mod friendly dealer" here on the forums and see how many of them turned out not to be what you thought they were.