GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New S&B Intake

Martin398

Ready to race!
definitely knew what I was buying with the open intake. I made a heat shield of my own because the one it came with seemed useless. I knew I was losing a bit with the open design but I was enjoying the turbo noises.

engineering explained just did a YouTube video about "hot air intake" and his results prompted me to start looking at what I was seeing for IATs more carefully. sure enough, it was excessive. also that video is definitive proof of what so many had said, the open intake is taking in unneeded hot air regardless what anyone thinks.

https://youtu.be/8tSNjCVGxtE

the closed injen intake is definitely the better option but I never cared for the look. the look of this S&B is what swayed me.

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
So, after wrapping my Plexiglas window 4 times with different types of vinyl, I finally found one that works for me. I ended up using some "VViViD Air-Tint Matte Black Headlight/Tail Light Window Tint" that I bought off of Amazon. The texture that makes it matte matches the other plastic components in the engine bay quite well, and it's just dark enough to still be able to see the filter inside (without looking like an aquarium). The film is dry application with air release. So it's just like vinyl wrapping a very simple body panel. It took me about 20 minutes to complete. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures...
What's everyone think?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It does look really good.

The only two things I don’t like about this intake is the SAI flange issues and that it retains the factory scoop

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
I like how that vinyl has a little bit of texture to blend in with the OEM plastics under the hood. Nice find!

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
So, after wrapping my Plexiglas window 4 times with different types of vinyl, I finally found one that works for me. I ended up using some "VViViD Air-Tint Matte Black Headlight/Tail Light Window Tint" that I bought off of Amazon. The texture that makes it matte matches the other plastic components in the engine bay quite well, and it's just dark enough to still be able to see the filter inside (without looking like an aquarium). The film is dry application with air release. So it's just like vinyl wrapping a very simple body panel. It took me about 20 minutes to complete. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures...
What's everyone think?

Looks great! It looks very similar to the OEM plastic.

And is that an aftermarket battery cover?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
It does look really good.

The only two things I don’t like about this intake is the SAI flange issues and that it retains the factory scoop

I have spent quite a bit of time with S&B on the SAI issue. There is a revised part coming out. Here is the last update I got on the 5th:

Latest update... we machined a test piece our of aluminum and the fit was good. The engineer is making one revision to design to aid our machinist, and we should be going into production very soon.

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know about the new SAI part coming soon, although I don't have any issue with mine. The hose clips in, and yeah it's not a super secure seal, but it's also not going to fall out. Plus the SAI system only runs for like 20-30 seconds on startup and dumps air right into the exhaust. In other words, if the hose seal isn't completely airtight it's still not going to introduce dust and shiz into your engine.

I've got about 1500 miles on my S&B with the red filter. 500 miles without the plug, 1000 with. No appreciable difference in sound or performance between the two. The filter itself looks great but I do have some dust and light debris in the box due to my air scoop and opened-up driver's side intake plenum. Gonna clean that out this week, give the filter a good compressed air bath, and take the plug out again just for science.

With Uni S1+ ECU/S1 TCU, E30, and this intake I am quite the happy camper. Now I just need that eBay twincooler (ya know...for science).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have spent quite a bit of time with S&B on the SAI issue. There is a revised part coming out. Here is the last update I got on the 5th:

Latest update... we machined a test piece our of aluminum and the fit was good. The engineer is making one revision to design to aid our machinist, and we should be going into production very soon.

That’s awesome! Glad to hear they’re continuing to develop it for perfection. I’ve installed S&B intakes for customers on diesel trucks and was very happy with the product overall

coolguy302

Hey guys! I have a 2016 R, DSG with the small plastic ECU cage. Does the intake come with a plug for the SAI (we dont have one). Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys! I have a 2016 R, DSG with the small plastic ECU cage. Does the intake come with a plug for the SAI (we dont have one). Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I was discussing the design with S&B, and we got on the topic of different engine configurations in other countries. Most of them do not have an SAI.
He told me that if you order one for the R, it'll come with a plug.