GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI ACT (CPTA) Oil and Service

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I'm coming up to the first service on my mk7 since owning it and I plan on servicing most things myself.

I have a question about the oil though - which one to use. For my car 0w40, 5w30 or 5w40 are all recommended - however what is used by VW themselves?

My car is on the standard service schedule (not the long-life).

What do you use/recommend?

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I do 5w40 personally. 0w40 is only for snowy climates and 10w40 for the opposite.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, I was leaning towards 5w40 as an all rounder, just wondered what everyone else was using too.
I've got 5ltrs on order ready for an oil change :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I used Castrol Edge titanium FST 0w40 A3/B4....easy to get from eurocarparts…

I have a write up to do on the service & tools etc required.....got the ignition coil puller??

You using Bosch spark plugs etc?

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, Mann air filter, Mann oil filter, 5ltrs 5w40 oil, sump plug/washer, ignition coil puller, spark plug socket and a pair of hose clamp pliers (the long reach style) arrived. Bosch spark plugs are on order, just had a dispatch confirmation.

Oh and I already replaced my pollen filter with a Mann frecious plus back in the summer, as mine was filthy (and based on the manufacture date when I removed it, possibly the original...) So that doesn't need changing yet.

I need to pick up the oil filter socket and then sort out the silicone grease (just waiting to hear back from my dealer for this)

A write up would be nice, all your guides are an interesting read, and from another tungsten silver GT owner makes it even better ;) :D

Just out of interest, your 1.4TSI 140 - is it with or without ACT?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
A write up would be nice, all your guides are an interesting read, and from another tungsten silver GT owner makes it even better ;) :D

Just out of interest, your 1.4TSI 140 - is it with or without ACT?
Thanks...

its without ACT...& produces over 167BHP & over 267NM....& no remap..just Shell Vpower & the heat shielding, & ITG foam panel replacement air filter... & cold air intake (GTE) mod...:cool:

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks...

its without ACT...& produces over 167BHP & over 267NM....& no remap..just Shell Vpower & the heat shielding, & ITG foam panel replacement air filter... & cold air intake (GTE) mod...:cool:

Very interesting... May have to have a look into the air intake mod...

Also, service completed over the weekend. All went well, realised I hadn't bought the correct style of ignition puller in the end though :rolleyes: I had purchased one of the VW hook under and pull type, not the ones specifically for these coil packs.. Ooops...
Luckily I didn't need it, I went for a short run to get the engine nice and warm before I started, so with a gentle bit of persuasion I was able to grip the coils enough to pull them out by hand. So after fitting the new Bosch spark plugs, I carefully applied a little of my expensive VAG grease on re-fitting of the coils (Even the guy in the parts dept. of my dealer questioned me paying so much for a small tube of grease - I was recommended to use WD40 next time... :eek::rolleyes:).

Then air filter swap, oil change etc. Everything tightened up to the correct torque etc. Oil I noticed the same as you, I filled to just under 4 litres, then let the engine idle and after this I was down to 1/4 on the dipstick, so I topped up the rest of the 4 litres and it's still not at the top of the dipstick!

After that a once over of the everything else (also had a good look under the car whilst I was up on stands), clear the faults from having the battery disconnected and finally reset my service interval/changed it to annual or 10,000 miles.
Well, then I gave it a quick detail before a short drive after everything had settled! :D

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Very interesting... May have to have a look into the air intake mod...

I had purchased one of the VW hook under and pull type, not the ones specifically for these coil packs.. Ooops...
(Even the guy in the parts dept. of my dealer questioned me paying so much for a small tube of grease - I was recommended to use WD40 next time... :eek::rolleyes:).

Oil I noticed the same as you, I filled to just under 4 litres, then let the engine idle and after this I was down to 1/4 on the dipstick, so I topped up the rest of the 4 litres and it's still not at the top of the dipstick!

The air intake mods are well worth it....

yes the coil packs on mine were a PITA even with the engine hot!...& I had the correct puller..

as for WD40..err..no..the grease is to stop the rubber on the coil pack welding itself to the spark plug....other wise the pencil section of the coil pack remains stuck inside the hole..& you pull of the top box....not fun trying to remove the rubber pencil section...not had it happen but have read of it happening...:eek:..not good.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha, yeah, I can't say the coil packs were easy, it took a while of gentle persuasion. I have seen a few cases of the rubber boot getting stuck, so that was in mind whilst removing them.

As for the dealer... That was my second closest dealer, I can't go to the one nearest to myself anymore as I've had enough issues with their after sales dept. that I can't really show my face there anymore. :eek: I didn't even buy my car new or from VW...
I explained what it was for to the parts guy as he thought I was buying it for lubricating a sunroof (when he first suggested wd40). After explaining it, I got a confused look and then he said the wd40 rule still applies. At that point I said thanks for ordering the grease and left. :) I worry about the dealers around here...

whaglfa

I changed the plugs last week on a CHPA engine (same as yours but no ACT). The coil puller was useless, all the boots detached while pulling. They were practically welded to the plugs. Took me an hour just pulling those out, not fun at all.
As VW recommends I put silicon paste on the bottom lip, hopefully next time will be easier. I used Bosch plugs since they were cheap (€7 each).
I was trying to fix a rare soft misfire on all cylinders (also passed 60000km) but it's still there.