GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Experts: Did I put the spring on correctly

Letcher77

Calling all suspension experts. I installed a set of Eibach spring last weekend and since I have been getting a creaking noise on the front passenger side. Took the wheel off and re torqued everything and that didn't fix it. Next thought is that the spring isn't seated all the way. The picture below is how it looks after I took the strut out today. Does it look correct? When the top of the strut gets bolted into the car with the 3 bolts is there a certain way it needs to be facing? How does everything else look?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
The notch for the upper strut bearing/mount has to be pointing towards the engine when installing. Make sure the top strut bolt is tight as fuck (impact usually is the best method).

Otherwise it looks fine from the pictures you've posted.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Make sure the top strut bolt is tight as fuck (impact usually is the best method).

You can zip it on with an impact gun but for torquing to spec, a 21mm open socket and allen socket is the correct way.

As per Gti jake's post here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25214

Otherwise OP, everything looks to be in order.

Letcher77

Well not sure exact what I was doing wrong. Put it back together a made sure I followed your guys' instructions and the sound seems to be gone now!

Thanks!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Although it probably wasn’t the culprit here it may be worth pointing out that the dust cover on the shock can be the cause of creaking and knocking sounds if not inserted correctly into the top mount, VW have a TPI for it #2035859/5.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Eibach springs, but no upgraded dampers? Yikes. Not a good combination with the stock dampers.

Eibach claim their springs are designed to be used with stock dampers, I’ve done so with two different golfs now with great results.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Install looks good to me. I know you said the noise is gone but the following is important also: Did you trim the bump stop? Doesn’t look like it. Also, make sure to torque the strut to strut mount nut with the spring compressed.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Install looks good to me. I know you said the noise is gone but the following is important also: Did you trim the bump stop? Doesn’t look like it. Also, make sure to torque the strut to strut mount nut with the spring compressed.

Eibachs usually come with the shorter bump stop, so it may be that it doesn’t look trimmed due it being a new one!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
In this picture the dust cover appears to be upside down,

As mentioned above these can cause squeaks or rattles if not fitted correctly, hence the TPI, they are supposed to push up firmly into the top mount bearing but move freely at the bottom,

Picture below is from the TPI,

The bit in the red circle in this case is pushed too far up and should sit level with the green arrow, this normally causes squeaks, rattles are usually caused by the dust cover not being fixed properly at the top and tapping on the strut!

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Eibach springs, but no upgraded dampers? Yikes. Not a good combination with the stock dampers.

These look like the black "Prokit" springs, which only lower about ~1" and tend to work nicely with stock struts for a long time. The red "Sportlines" are the ones that drop 2"+ and will blow out the struts rather quickly.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

Dumb question, what happens if you don't torque it down while the spring is compressed?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
The spring will be exerting force into the nut, preventing it from being torqued to the correct value.

Navi

Autocross Champion
The spring will be exerting force into the nut, preventing it from being torqued to the correct value.

This.

It will end up coming loose bc it will be torqued significantly less than you think it is. This will cause a squeaking.