GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Philly (and immediate surrounding area) - Looking for mechanic / dealer service recom

pennstaterlz

Purchased a 17 GTI Spot about 2 months ago and need to get it inspected (bought out of state) and get an oil change. Unfortunately my amazing mechanic told me they'd really like to stay away from working on the newer Euro cars. So I have to find a new mechanic. (insert major sad face)

Anybody local have recommendations on any of the local VW Dealership Service Centers (Cherry Hill, Burlington, Colonial, etc.) or a Philly mechanic that's done you right?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Smith VW in Delaware is great. Tax free, great service, mod friendly dealer. Can't go wrong.

Also hear Josh Pelcman (I think i spelled his last name correctly) is great as well. Located in NJ.

Or you can do your own oil change, not too hard with these cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Purchased a 17 GTI Spot about 2 months ago and need to get it inspected (bought out of state) and get an oil change. Unfortunately my amazing mechanic told me they'd really like to stay away from working on the newer Euro cars. So I have to find a new mechanic. (insert major sad face)

Anybody local have recommendations on any of the local VW Dealership Service Centers (Cherry Hill, Burlington, Colonial, etc.) or a Philly mechanic that's done you right?

He won't do an oil change and inspection because it's newer? I can see if you need warranty-type work. I guess he wouldn't do a brake job either? I'd go with our tech member above for now. I drive a long distance for a good tech myself.

pennstaterlz

Smith VW in Delaware is great. Tax free, great service, mod friendly dealer. Can't go wrong.

Also hear Josh Pelcman (I think i spelled his last name correctly) is great as well. Located in NJ.

Or you can do your own oil change, not too hard with these cars.

Thanks. Definitely will look into Smith for mods when I get there. A bit farther of a drive than I'd like for general maintenance.

I work at North Penn VW about 30 minutes or so outside of the city. Happy to help you out. Send me a PM if you want.

Perfect. Thanks, will shoot you a PM for sure. Have a question about something I ran into during inspection.

He won't do an oil change and inspection because it's newer? I can see if you need warranty-type work. I guess he wouldn't do a brake job either? I'd go with our tech member above for now. I drive a long distance for a good tech myself.

Yeah, they're a local neighborhood garage in the city and have more than enough work and are highly regarded in the area. So I think its more valuing his time vs the effort etc. He tries to stay away from Euro models. I get it, I've heard it from other mechanics before.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
+2 for Smith VW.
I driver over 1 hour to get everything done at Smith, including normal maintenance. They are stellar in every way. Not only mod friendly, but if you have an issue with said mod (like lose sway bar end links making noise) they'll tighten them for free.
They're definitely worth the drive.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Do you know if Smith VW would do other mod work? I bought the mk 7.5 taillights and i might need some assistance getting the coding right.
Im sure that they do. I personally have not upgraded my tail lights. Id give the service desk a call and ask for either Bobby or Jason.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'll be the voice of dissent on Smith. Their customer service is good, but the mechanics are borderline incompetent. They used to be my closest dealer so I would go to them for warranty work and it was a nightmare. They couldn't fix anything on the first try. They had my MKV GTI for 4 months trying to fix the AC even after I told them how to fix it (they kept replacing the compressor - if the compressor keeps breaking, it's not the compressor that's the problem). They had my wife's Passat for a month and 3 attempts trying to fix a headliner that they accidentally cut. I'd be very wary.