GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HEADLIGHTS...

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read many threads on here. Reviews and questions.

This is giving me anxiety. I'm coming from a MK6 Autobahn which had nice headlights.

I purchased a GTI S 2017 over the weekend. The first thing I plan to change is the headlights because... well they look bad.

I've read about Helix/Eds reps. People claim they get condensation. They said there are fixes by adding packs of silicon?

They were some dated threads to. Is it worth buying these reps? Or should I just spend some bucks and buy OEM upgrades.

I know this is a topic spoken about thoroughly over the years, but those old threads are getting me upset lol

I do not plan on swapping bulbs

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
You could contact jj at retroshop.us to see if a retrofit is an option.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
If you’re thinking of going oem route, I would have seeked out a lighting package GTi. Cheaper in the long run.

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
Would it be a safe bet to buy replicas from Helix or Edss and have a VW dealer/independent shop to install them?

not really trying to do this type of thing myself. Not comfortable removing bumper/grill.

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the Led tail lights in my last golf but that was the easiest thing in the world. I'm just scared that if I buy Helix/Eds they are going to get fogged up. I live in NYC so i deal with the worst of both temperatures.

I saw a pair of OEM GOLF R tail lights for over 1k. Are those a direct fit with some coding necessary ?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I installed the Led tail lights in my last golf but that was the easiest thing in the world. I'm just scared that if I buy Helix/Eds they are going to get fogged up. I live in NYC so i deal with the worst of both temperatures.

I saw a pair of OEM GOLF R tail lights for over 1k. Are those a direct fit with some coding necessary ?

Tail lights? Not exactly a direct plug and play for full functionality, you need the harness for the amber turn signals to work correctly. Also shouldn't cost over 1k. Maybe 700-800 at the most for the new MK7.5 tail lights + harness and a bit lower price for the pre-facelift MK7 LED tail lights.

For the headlights... no personal experience but there's a few users here from NYC that has replica headlights installed.

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
FUXKKKK wish I would've got the lighting package....someone please sell me on Ed's reps. Are that good??????? I just want all white lights lollll. What you think a dealer would bill me if I walked in and asked

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
If you want something with more light and doesn't require the coding hassle of removing the headlight:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

and high beam:
http://deautokey.com/product/h15-da...00-plug-play-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

We have many running this setup with great success.

And before jumping into the thread we will clear this up - yes these are illegal just like the ED's replica are illegal and any aftermarket light for your headlights - laws need to be updated. But these provide a clean cut-off and bright white light that they mimic and act like a OEM halogen in terms of cut-off and gives as much light as a projector.

There is plenty of proof that DOT are not safer or provide good light output for visibility - the IIHS has done amazing testing you cannot deny:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement

There has been plenty of reports of DOT bulbs causing blinding glare from the factory from cars like Ford Explorer, Cadillac Escalade, even new Toyota LED headlights that are DOT/LEGAL. There was an unfortunate interaction between a driver and cop where the driver flashed a cop driving a Ford Explorer that he thought had his high beams on when it was just the low beams:
Https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ad-family-lawsuit_us_5620005ce4b028dd7ea73d53

We hate to link this but it is documented "proof" of DOT causing blinding glare. And at the end having a bulb that is DOT does not mean more visibility (IIHS proved this) or it won't eliminate blinding glare (many forums mention this feedback). At the end there is a bigger issue of DOT/LEGAL bulbs causing issues and our goal is to eliminate this issue and not add to the problem. If we didn't feel our kit didn't create more visibility and was safe we would not sell it because we don't want to add to the issue.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
FUXKKKK wish I would've got the lighting package....someone please sell me on Ed's reps. Are that good??????? I just want all white lights lollll. What you think a dealer would bill me if I walked in and asked

Get Ed's reps. Or Helix. There's so many people running both here and maybe some of the earlier revisions have problems but haven't heard any lately.

Highly recommend Ed's, just because of his customer service. Great guy

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
Would it be a safe bet to buy replicas from Helix or Edss and have a VW dealer/independent shop to install them?

not really trying to do this type of thing myself. Not comfortable removing bumper/grill.

save your money and install them yourself. there are a lot of videos out there that can guide you. its not that hard

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I wrote the DIY on installing the AFS lighting package. My opinion between going that route and Ed's which I previously owned for over a year is here:

Opinion: I definitely would not purchase the OEM lights if I was not interested in the AFS functionality. I would use Ed’s lights. Ed’s may not be as pretty when looked at from the engine bay, and are a little susceptible to vibration (tend to bounce more) and I prefer the softer edge of the light from the OEM. However, the LED blinker, double U DRL, cost and ease of install outweigh these minor quibbles. However, I am modifying for AFS as we want a smart light that changes position of light with pitch, steering and speed. Driving with AFS and cornering lights is pretty cool. I am easily amused, but I was absolutely giddy seeing the lights swing back to straight coming out of corner. In my opinion, having lights point where you are headed is vastly superior. Also, the cornering lights are quite useful. I will changing the bulb to something more white, a number of threads on this.

If you are uncomfortable installing just get an independent to install.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Helix would be the last brand headlights I would buy, based on them simply not holding up to two years of driving before looking like crap.