GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch on the 7R

dub_guy

Ready to race!
How is the clutch on the 7r? Can it hold stock power or is it going to start slipping?

I'm in a 6MT GTI right now, so I know how the GTI clutch can't hold a tune. Considering going to an R, and wondering if the clutch will hold the stock power, say out 120,000km. Sachs has said that is the lifespan of one of their DMFW, so living to that point would put me out past warranty, so clutch + tune could come at the same time.

I did cases in google of the clutch no holding stock power, so I'm curious what people say here.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
How is the clutch on the 7r? Can it hold stock power or is it going to start slipping?

I'm in a 6MT GTI right now, so I know how the GTI clutch can't hold a tune. Considering going to an R, and wondering if the clutch will hold the stock power, say out 120,000km. Sachs has said that is the lifespan of one of their DMFW, so living to that point would put me out past warranty, so clutch + tune could come at the same time.

I did cases in google of the clutch no holding stock power, so I'm curious what people say here.

Mine was fine up to 14k before I decided to put in the DKM since I was going to get tuned (preventive). I know I have read of some people with stock tune having their clutch slip early. I believe it's maybe the rear main seal leaking that causes slipping but that doesn't appear to be everyone.

Then again there is a guy that is full stage 2 on the stock clutch with no issues. I'm thinking it's maybe because he's in a place with high altitude so that's keeping the clutch alive longer.

Off topic:
Any news on your progress with DKM? I just quoted you on the DKM thread for an update.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
I'm thinking if I get the R, to run stock until I run the clutch out and prefer that be at least 100,000km.

I responded over in the DKM thread.

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
I had no slipping at stock power. Installed my JB4 at 10k miles and by 15k it was slipping a bit in 4th, 5th, and 6th. It gradually got worse until I uninstalled the JB4 at about 18k, at which point the clutch held stock power without slipping at all.

Based on that, I'd guess my stock clutch would have lasted a quite a while at stock power levels. Alas, I upgraded to the DKM stage 3.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There are people who have their clutch last the life of the car. I'm betting they granny shift and never floor it, especially in the higher gears. From all the reports in here, even given that they're enthusiasts, the clutch is just too weak. It's all in the name of saving weight.

I would wait until it slips. You might get lucky. There's no harm in replacing it when it fails. It's not warranted, at least not after one 1/12. It's not like you'll be denied for warranty work as long as you only use a piggyback.

spessx

Ready to race!
Mine started slipping intermittently at 13,700 miles with stock power. Mostly on the highway on rolling hills in cool weather. I haven't replaced it because I don't want to fork over the $2,500 for an RSR and it doesn't slip that often.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
I don't put much credence in the stories of people with stock cars having the clutch go early. Sure there is defects, and some mechanical failures that happen, but I would be willing to bet that some of the people who have had premature clutch failure are not the most sympathetic to their wear items. You either learn to make your purchases last, or you learn to be comfortable with the cost.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't put much credence in the stories of people with stock cars having the clutch go early. Sure there is defects, and some mechanical failures that happen, but I would be willing to bet that some of the people who have had premature clutch failure are not the most sympathetic to their wear items. You either learn to make your purchases last, or you learn to be comfortable with the cost.

If you want a clutch to last, don't buy a car with 300 lb. ft. of torque. It ain't like the old days, when clutches were big and heavy, and could take much more than stock power.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Can a stock clutch handle a DP?

A downpipe will not run properly on a stock tune so you would have to tune the car to work with the DP. And at that point you have to start worrying about clutch slippage.

If you just installed a downpipe on a stock car I can't imagine you’d have any problems, as you will not be making much more power if any without a supporting tune.