GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shutting off the engine before oil is up to temp

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
what?

rx8 has a renesis engine, its a rotary like all rx series cars.

think the post was about they had issues with milky dipsticks on cars driven short distances because oil was never getting up to temp.

beers

What!!! You mean I've hated the RX-8 for no reason except some clearly false article I read before it came out? Goddammit. Maybe the article I read was just not excited about the Wankel Renisis and I somehow (back when I was 13) thought it wasn't rotary. Wiki has shown the way. Yeah I probably confused the fact it was no longer turbo with it not being a rotary. I mean the 8 still looks like shit compared to the 7, so I guess I let my bias prevent me from actually learning about it once I got back into cars.

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
Water will evaporate without reaching 212F. That is the boiling point where liquid water turns to water vapor (gas). Evaporation doesn't turn water into a gas, but rather the molecules can get excited enough (energy), to escape from the surface to the air. Really basic explanation, because I had to look that shit up.

Pokeyjoe isn't wrong when it comes to water just by itself, but when it mixes or is covered by oil then the situation changes.

^^ This. The triple point of water is ca. 0.01° C, so it starts going into gas phase at a fairly low point. Ice and snow will actually sublimate, going straight from solid to gas, but this hopefully zero relevance to our driving unless our internals look like a snow globe.

Heat speeds it up a whole lot, however, so temperature DOES matter a bunch.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What happens to the water molecules since they're in a somewhat closed system? The crankcase isn't 100% open to the atmosphere, so are they being drawn into the intake manifold along with oil vapor by the PCV system to be burned? Or should I be saying being converted into their basic elements, combining with the air and fuel and being expelled through the exhaust?

Swoope

Ready to race!
^^ This. The triple point of water is ca. 0.01° C, so it starts going into gas phase at a fairly low point. Ice and snow will actually sublimate, going straight from solid to gas, but this hopefully zero relevance to our driving unless our internals look like a snow globe.

Heat speeds it up a whole lot, however, so temperature DOES matter a bunch.

OMG!

that really explains it perfect.

beers

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So it sounds like it would be fine if I turn off the car without fully warming it up, as long as it gets warmed up sometime throughout the day, correct?
For example- if I drive 3 mins to the grocery store, shut it off, drive 3 mins back home, and then an hour later go on a 15+ min drive where it gets to over 200F

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
H2O_Doc giving us the H2O science.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
So it sounds like it would be fine if I turn off the car without fully warming it up, as long as it gets warmed up sometime throughout the day, correct?
For example- if I drive 3 mins to the grocery store, shut it off, drive 3 mins back home, and then an hour later go on a 15+ min drive where it gets to over 200F

Just drive your car and don't worry... people in Europe are on longlife oil change intervals (Long life is supposed to be 504 rated oil) which is anywhere from 9000 to 20000 miles or 1 to 2 years, whichever comes first... people in Europe drive around 9000 miles a year on average and they still don't do their oil changes every 9000 miles or 1 year

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
What happens to the water molecules since they're in a somewhat closed system? The crankcase isn't 100% open to the atmosphere, so are they being drawn into the intake manifold along with oil vapor by the PCV system to be burned? Or should I be saying being converted into their basic elements, combining with the air and fuel and being expelled through the exhaust?

PCV essentially routes the vapors and molecules into the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe. In fact just the reaction process of mixing air and fuel and blowing it up creates moisture (H2O) and carbon dioxide as byproducts.

Gr8ful1

Passed Driver's Ed
I owned a RX-8. Very nice machine. Must keep the revs up. Remus exhaust made it sound right. I did put a small amounts of synthetic 2 cycle oil in the fuel to lub the rotor seals. You can’t over rev the thing. I do hope they keep the R&D going on the Wenkle.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch