GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Might as well just install this. Already halfway there cost wise.

http://www.precisionraceworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87
Nahhhhh. Not gonna go 500+hp any time soon.

Port injection would be cool but I'm not trying to complicate things with tune costs or a non-oem point of failure. I do regret not doing new fuel injectors, would've added about 300$ to have them done, but, I use nothing but 93 high detergent tier 1 gas so hopefully they're good for a little while longer...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I'm also not going to wait 80k again. I was getting mad hard idle nvh and slow acceleration and misfires on starts. Sometimes it would go straight EPC mode at idle and couldn't recover a smooth idle and wanted me to shut off. Now it's like I have a brand new car holy crap!!! Finally roaring into the red again. Happy camper over here holy moly.

I'm waiting on the shop to email me my pics to post here. Haven't seen them myself

erikweber321

Ready to race!
So I see the pics and I'm definitely a sad camper. Could've been way better. I'll have it done again once I decide it's time to replace the injectors....

The performance results are huge, I imagined that they would be spotless based on how it drives, so there's definitely some good and not a total failure.

I noticed my manifold was letting a lot of carbon and oil build up on the manifold face edges too. Hopefully they cleaned her up before putting her back together.....

Probably won't be going back unfortunately. I've seen results from other people and it looks like these guys didn't even try to do the job. Probably would've done as well as them with a 100$ ocmpressor and that harbor freight cheap setup....

Here's pics

teemmy

Ready to race!
I'm also not going to wait 80k again. I was getting mad hard idle nvh and slow acceleration and misfires on starts. Sometimes it would go straight EPC mode at idle and couldn't recover a smooth idle and wanted me to shut off. Now it's like I have a brand new car holy crap!!! Finally roaring into the red again. Happy camper over here holy moly.

I'm waiting on the shop to email me my pics to post here. Haven't seen them myself

Curious what your driving style is like. I have 54k miles but - 0 issues with rough idle.

What fuel do you use? Tuned? Hard driving at all?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
So for the record, the cleaning did a HUGE job of restoring power.... Like a shitload.

My driving style is VERY hard (not quite tracking it, but I've got a hell of a lead foot....it's why I bought this car :)

No tune, completely stock. Upgraded the clutch but.... Lol

I used 90% Shell gas 93 octane, 8% other tier 1 brand, maybe 2% non tier 1 when I was shit outa luck.

Never less than 93...nobody sells 91.

The first 50k we're highway driving, the last 30k was about 30% highway and lots of stop and go once I moved.

The verdict is, this car is gonna suffer carbon buildup like hell. Period. Nothing special about the mk7 at all.

Second verdict is if you get a carbon cleaning, it makes A HUUUGE difference! Throttle response is AMAZING again and SMOOTH all the way through the power band again, even into redline.

Next journey....I'm researching hho cleaning to see if it has any effect on valve buildup. I may even install a dry hho to statically keep the carbon out.... But I've got a lot of research let to do. Shit I may start a company.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
OP, What type/brand of motor oil are you using?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
intervals were on the 5k, but there were two intervals I went to 10k like an a-hole (factory recommendation is WRONG)

recent shop experts have called me a dick head for not being on the 3. I'm going to be doing it on the 3 for the rest of its life.

adam1991

Banned
What makes you say, "factory recommendation is WRONG"?

I'm taking one for the team on the oil thing. I'm still on the factory fill. Last week I got the first year "Change Oil Now!" notice on the dash, but I'm waiting to around 10K to do my first change. That'll be in a couple of weeks (currently at 8700 miles).

And I'm going to send a sample to Blackstone to see what's what.

Yeah--facts. They're a good thing to have.

Now, if someone wants to fund opening the valve cover and sending a borescope down there to see what the factory fill does to the valves when it's left in there for the full 10K, feel free.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
What makes you say, "factory recommendation is WRONG"?

I'm taking one for the team on the oil thing. I'm still on the factory fill. Last week I got the first year "Change Oil Now!" notice on the dash, but I'm waiting to around 10K to do my first change. That'll be in a couple of weeks (currently at 8700 miles).

And I'm going to send a sample to Blackstone to see what's what.

Yeah--facts. They're a good thing to have.

Now, if someone wants to fund opening the valve cover and sending a borescope down there to see what the factory fill does to the valves when it's left in there for the full 10K, feel free.

Please send it in. But 10k on a motor is crazy imo. I can tell when my Motul starts to heat up quick it’s time to change. It’s always around 5k surprisingly.

I sent mine to blackstone and they definitely didn’t say to run it longer like my 4runner.