GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Firestone Firehawk AS

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thanks Sandman. I think I'm getting these.

Edit: No, I'm not. I have the Sumitomos, and I think they're trash. If the Firehawks are in the same class, then they're not enough of an improvement for me to go to them over my Sumitomo's, which will (unfortunately) probably last me at least 2 more years at my ~20K mile/year rate (had them on for 10K already)

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Thanks Sandman. I think I'm getting these.

Edit: No, I'm not. I have the Sumitomos, and I think they're trash. If the Firehawks are in the same class, then they're not enough of an improvement for me to go to them over my Sumitomo's, which will (unfortunately) probably last me at least 2 more years at my ~20K mile/year rate (had them on for 10K already)

I currently have another season on my Bridgestone RE980’s so not ready for new tire either. I really like my Indy 500 summer tires so the AS might be worth a try. Like the price and I rarely drive like I am on fire. Just sharing info. So far my RE-11’s are tops in grip but at almost half the price the 500’s are a solid second.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Unless these have some magical A/S technology in them (which they don't, because they're Firestone), they aren't going to be anywhere near the same as a summer tire. Even if you don't drive aggressively, summer tires are better for everyday driving. You get better stability, increased traction, shorter stopping distances, better wet traction, and a car that goes in the direction that you point it. After driving several cars over the years on summer/winter tires, it seriously felt like something was off on my GTI when it was new. I was on winter tires a month after I bought it, but once spring rolled around, it was clear that the OEM tires were the weak link in what is otherwise a brilliant car. I really don't understand why VW would choose to handicap their product before it left the factory.

Now that I've got proper tires on it, my car is smoother, quieter (which isn't what you'd think, but there it is) and doesn't feel as squirmy. Steering feel has been vastly improved as well. Unless you have no place to store a spare set of wheels, there's really no reason to use A/S tires.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Unless these have some magical A/S technology in them (which they don't, because they're Firestone), they aren't going to be anywhere near the same as a summer tire. Even if you don't drive aggressively, summer tires are better for everyday driving. You get better stability, increased traction, shorter stopping distances, better wet traction, and a car that goes in the direction that you point it. After driving several cars over the years on summer/winter tires, it seriously felt like something was off on my GTI when it was new. I was on winter tires a month after I bought it, but once spring rolled around, it was clear that the OEM tires were the weak link in what is otherwise a brilliant car. I really don't understand why VW would choose to handicap their product before it left the factory.

Now that I've got proper tires on it, my car is smoother, quieter (which isn't what you'd think, but there it is) and doesn't feel as squirmy. Steering feel has been vastly improved as well. Unless you have no place to store a spare set of wheels, there's really no reason to use A/S tires.

Tennessee gets so little snow there is no need for winter tires. Summers could go all year but we can get to single digits in some years. So reason for all season

Suggest you try Firestone Indy 500 tires if you like a smooth summer tire.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
These don't get very good user ratings. I know users vary widely in use and expectations. The biggest thing I have experienced with the more budget line of tires is they start out wonderful for the first 7.5K-10K miles and deteriorate quickly after that. They either get a lot of road noise, become worse riding or significantly loose traction, or a combination.

I've never tried these, so I can't say that's the case. But I've had Kuhmo's, Cooper, Sumitomo all in this same budget class that completely sucked after 12K miles. In fact I retired my last set of Sumitomo's because they became so loud after 12K miles it was like riding in a lifted truck with knobby tires.

Both sets of Conti DWS 06's have been excellent, they wear well, grip well and retain 85-90% of their original character after 20K miles. They are as budget as I will go.

Again, this is general experience, I'm sure there are some "golden child" type budget tires, but they are few and far between.

I'll also add that I religiously check tire inflation and rotate every 5-7K miles and the budget tires still while having 85% of their tread were junk after about a 1 1/2 years and 12K miles.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Tennessee gets so little snow there is no need for winter tires. Summers could go all year but we can get to single digits in some years. So reason for all season

Suggest you try Firestone Indy 500 tires if you like a smooth summer tire.

Single digits in TN? Does that happen once a decade, or what?

I briefly contemplated the Firestones, but decided to spend $100 more and get Continental ECS instead. So far, they're better than any A/S tire I've ever driven on, in every possible way.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Single digits in TN? Does that happen once a decade, or what?

I briefly contemplated the Firestones, but decided to spend $100 more and get Continental ECS instead. So far, they're better than any A/S tire I've ever driven on, in every possible way.

Can happen but not every year.
We sometimes have a week when it might get below 20F several nights. I know not bad but Tennessee cold is different due to higher humidity. No matter what you wear it is cold.

My family is from Wisconsin and I finished High School and College in Wisconsin. Coldest was -30F below with wind chill of -70F.
Nothing compares to that but higher humidity is down deep cold for some reason.