GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Failure

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
My car is also in the shop for a new DSG....(been 3 weeks)

Same exact scenario - 40k trans service, 5th and 6th gear grinding.

Just putting this out there because it seems like a common occurrence.

Grinding before, or after the service?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
It makes me wonder if there isn't some truth to the old if it ain't broke don't fix it. I mean obviously if it's in the service manual it needs to be done to maintain warranty status but I had always heard of people going in for transmission flushes with functioning transmissions and when they got them back they had transmissions that started slipping. Maybe the act of flushing it dislodged something since i'm assuming the DSG fluid going in should be the same as what came out.

I cant imagine the replacement fluid had particulates in it that it wasn't supposed to; but maybe we both got DSG fluid from the same batch? Tomorrow will be 4 full weeks so far, hopefully ill get my car back soon.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Meanwhile, us manual guys:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
that was just wrong.......funny, but wrong.

The after service bit is interesting. I'd have to think about doing it myself and no wtty, or them and wtty.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Just putting this out there because it seems like a common occurrence.

Is it? You're only the second person I've heard of having this issue. Not that it doesn't concern me, because I've got my 40k service coming up and I'm sorely tempted to just do the DSG fluid change myself (especially since I'm tuned).

Just wanting to know if you can cite any others with this problem, if anything to see if the trend is improper service or if it might be something else.

Metalkid90

Is it? You're only the second person I've heard of having this issue. Not that it doesn't concern me, because I've got my 40k service coming up and I'm sorely tempted to just do the DSG fluid change myself (especially since I'm tuned).

Just wanting to know if you can cite any others with this problem, if anything to see if the trend is improper service or if it might be something else.

When I first having the issue I searched the forums and Google to see if other people had grinding in 5th and 6th. I found that a handful of people with mk6s and mk7s had their service done wrong, which caused the issue.

You are right to question my wording lol but even 3-5 people with the same problem after service was done concerns me.

Metalkid90

It makes me wonder if there isn't some truth to the old if it ain't broke don't fix it. I mean obviously if it's in the service manual it needs to be done to maintain warranty status but I had always heard of people going in for transmission flushes with functioning transmissions and when they got them back they had transmissions that started slipping. Maybe the act of flushing it dislodged something since i'm assuming the DSG fluid going in should be the same as what came out.

I cant imagine the replacement fluid had particulates in it that it wasn't supposed to; but maybe we both got DSG fluid from the same batch? Tomorrow will be 4 full weeks so far, hopefully ill get my car back soon.

I just had news that they got my transmission in today...just shy of 3 weeks...hope there won't be any further issues.

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m at 5 weeks and counting. Transmission has been delivered car has not been finished. Fingers crossed everything works like it should when my car is finished. Apparently the car needs a new axle shaft in addition to the dsg. In 40000 miles I’ve had the sensor replaced that controls BSM/rear traffic, that took 4 visits even with the BSM error on the dash before it got resolved, 1 window regulator replaced and 2 more that I will have to have replaced but failed outside of the 36k bumper to bumper. Now a transmission and axle shaft, I can only wonder what will fail next. Fairly disappointing especially since is the first car I bought new.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I leased mine, and it is going back soon, so I can breathe a sigh of relief.

My DSG failed at 20k miles.

I had my sunroof assembly replaced.

My power mirror switch is sketchy, but VW says "OKOA". No biggie, it's a lease.

Otherwise, at 20k miles my car has been totally trouble-free. But, I have decided not to buy it at lease end because some of the items that can fail outside of warranty are terribly expensive, such as the LP headlights or the DSG.

Don't get me wrong, I'd lease another one in a heartbeat, but I'd never buy one.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
You want to see transmission failures? Go look into the forum buzz on 1999 on up Honda V6 cars, especially the Odyssey van. See when it started and how much of it started within what small time frame. Now there's some indication of widespread transmission failures, pretty quickly.

Oh god, this brings back memories

Worked at a car lot 4 years ago, one of the first cars was an Odyssey with transmission problems, and boy, when it bucked, felt like a punch in the gut

Anyway, back to the topic at hand