GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to check battery charge?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Genegenie: bummer!! I'm more thatn happy to do the tweak for you on your car. Just bring it down anytime!
It ain't that far really - Just remember to keep heading South. If you get to Tasmania, you have gone too far!
Or dig hole in garden, keep digging until you emerge in 'a land down under'. S'ok, 'no worries' as you guys say a lot....

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Bruce: when I read your post, your reference to $10 Multimeters seemed at odds with your catch cry about the "bitterness of poor quality" (which I happen to agree-with). The trouble with a $10 digital-multimeter is that people believe what it says on the screen! Sure I don't expect the average bloke to buy a high precision "Fluke", but I'd suggest that perhaps a little higher than $10 might be warranted in this case!! Hope you are not offended!
Ha, now you did cop me. :D Don't think I have a 10 $ one. I use to have good one
at home (and a scope) and a bloody old one in the garage. ;)
I just wanted to say they're cheap enough anyone can and should have one. The
less costly DMMs should also be sufficiently precise to do a simple battery measure-
ment. If in doubt check with a reliable one - that's the way I do.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Interesting thread. Just checked ours and it's sitting at 12.3 volts (about 80% charged) and the SOC in the dash says .. "80 %".

I know the car attempts to track actual capacity so it can alert on it and ultimately disable stop/start if the battery doesn't have the capacity.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting thread. Just checked ours and it's sitting at 12.3 volts (about 80% charged) and the SOC in the dash says .. "80 %".

I know the car attempts to track actual capacity so it can alert on it and ultimately disable stop/start if the battery doesn't have the capacity.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but "Battery charge" is not listed under hex17 - Adaptation. I think that's because some name has changed on a MK7.5. Anyone know how to activate?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
VW still penny pinches as with all the additional electrics I have (stop start, heated front screen, heated seats, 2 zone climate, 230v boot socket, sat nav, dynaudio) .what do they fit?.....................

a 027 case size 59/640 EFB................fecking small!!....:mad:...all the battery manufactures state 096 size AGM......yet ETKA says I have correct battery for my car!

That got ripped out & a big Bosch S5 70/760 096 AGM got fitted..

..PS Bosch have ditched the S6 for AGM & S5 for EFB & they are all S5 now also Varta make the batteries for Bosch & Varta also bought out Delco Reme Freedom brand.............remember those batteries?.............tough as nails!!

We in the US don't get heated windscreens or 230 volt (or 110) sockets here. Wish we did.

Stickman

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to resurrect this thread since no one answered the last inquiry. As was previously stated Battery Charge is not listed in the Dashboard adaptation menu on >2017
year models. Does anyone know how to code this or if it's even possible on the later cars?

Oh, and I have a volt meter as well as a battery load tester but it's not convenient to pop the bonnet and hop out at a traffic light to check if the battery is charging.
Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to resurrect this thread since no one answered the last inquiry. As was previously stated Battery Charge is not listed in the Dashboard adaptation menu on >2017
year models. Does anyone know how to code this or if it's even possible on the later cars?

Oh, and I have a volt meter as well as a battery load tester but it's not convenient to pop the bonnet and hop out at a traffic light to check if the battery is charging.
Thanks
Either: any of the generic OBD tools will extract it from the ECU or buy one of the many variations of Bluetooth battery monitor devices and use your smartphone.

But you don't need to care, the ECU will disable stop/start if it calculates that the battery capacity is not there to support it.

Don't use a battery load tester across the battery terminals as this will be a large current draw that the car's own battery state monitoring will not be aware of.

I remember old cars where the only information you could get from it without opening the bonnet was how much petrol was left and how fast you were going...

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Thanks

Buy something like this. There are plenty to choose from.

https:www.amazon.com/IZTOSS-Universal-Cigarette-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B014MCRPT0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1526910254&sr=8-14&keywords=12v+auto+battery+tester

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Be aware these tell you nothing about the condition of the battery, only the charge state by reading voltage. You could very well find yourself with a fully charged battery reading 12.6v that is incapable of starting the car more than once and wonder why the ECU has disabled stop/start when you can see that the battery is fully charged.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Looks pretty professional, but you have to open the bonnet to check it..

I say again https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0....uk/ulk/itm/372276772035
- this and devices like it will do all of that, *and* are permanently connected to the car, *and* your phone will alert you every time there's a problem (assuming the device is in range at least once a day), *and* they will track journey times, *and* report cranking voltage drop every time you start the car.

For a battery geek, these are totally the way to go and will answer all your battery questions.