GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI excessive wheel hop?

Tyrant2

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys been getting loads of wheel hop while launching the GTI, anyone care to share their experience as in does it happen to all guys?
the grippier the road the more it happens but below is a video showing it at its worst..

Just for reference, 220hp GTi with 18's and dunlop sport maxx, Sport ESC, sport mode and no launch control

http://youtu.be/IufaFgK4Qes

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I have same tires but I didn't notice anything abnormal! maybe because when driving for fun I tend to ease off the throttle a bit when I feel an excessive wheel spin will occure...

the car is with the dealer now, I'll make some aggressive launchs when I get it back to find out if I have that much wheel hop as well

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
I do get wheel hop when doing hard launches too, but not everytime. Happens but very rarely so i thought its normal.

Salamat gtiw7 why is the car at the dealer

enkil

Ready to race!
The 225 width tires can't give enough traction. More so with the higher torque on the Mk7 GTi.

I'm going with the Mk6R set up of 235/35/19.

Go Kart Champion
Update from yesterday: I wasn't launching from a dig, gunned it at about 30 in a slippery road (not wet) the car spun like crazy (which was expected) wheel hopped by end of 1st, but when it was about to shift to 2nd the car literally felt like it shut down for a couple of seconds (or went to nuteral) before it shifted to second and started moving again.

This used to happen in my tuned mk5 occasionally, but its the first time I ever experience it in the mk7 (12,500km on the clock)

Could it be my DSG has gone coocoo? It also sometimes takes a second to engage reverse gear after I moved the gear shift to "R"

Go Kart Champion
:confused::confused:

gtiw7

Ready to race!
it sometimes happen on slippary roads with ASR OFF, under WOT at first gear it stays in the redline area for a second or so (waiting for the wheels to settle down I guess!) then it shifts to 2nd and I feel the power surge it way back...it used to happen on a tuned mk5 well because a stock mk5 ain't that torque-full to get the wheels mad at rolling start ;)
in my case this can be solved by moving the lever to shifter position and shift as soon as revs enter the redline OR not planting the throttle on slippary roads LOL

now if you're facing this while manually shifting then I have no idea what you're dealing with... but I certainly wouldn't suspect a DSG failure in a few-months-old car

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, I'm gonna let the dealer check if the dsg threw any error codes when I take it for 15,000 oil change service

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Update from yesterday: I wasn't launching from a dig, gunned it at about 30 in a slippery road (not wet) the car spun like crazy (which was expected) wheel hopped by end of 1st, but when it was about to shift to 2nd the car literally felt like it shut down for a couple of seconds (or went to nuteral) before it shifted to second and started moving again.

This used to happen in my tuned mk5 occasionally, but its the first time I ever experience it in the mk7 (12,500km on the clock)

Could it be my DSG has gone coocoo? It also sometimes takes a second to engage reverse gear after I moved the gear shift to "R"

Hey Kindi, This happens to me a lot, not only on launches, but for example, when coming out of a turn (you know dubai roads), with traffic approaching, i need to be quick. When i floor it, this happens quite often. I floor it out the turn from standstill and when it needs to change from 1st to 2nd, theres a couple of seconds where nothing happens and then when it does change to second I get a massive wheel hop and a big jerk before it changes. I tried to launch for the first time yesterday and got a lot of wheel hop, my mk6 never ever had the issue when i used to launch, it was extremely smooth.

This really sucks as ive been trying to a get a 0-100 time and the wheel hop and the lag from first to second causes my acceleration times to be around 7.5 - 8.1 seconds .

gtiw7

Ready to race!
This really sucks as ive been trying to a get a 0-100 time and the wheel hop and the lag from first to second causes my acceleration times to be around 7.5 - 8.1 seconds .

wow I never ever got a 7+ sec!! try using manual and shift as soon as it hits redline.....

ohh and plant the throttle without launch control to minimize wheel hop and wheel spin

I got a faster time in the drag stripe without LC ;)

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
wow I never ever got a 7+ sec!! try using manual and shift as soon as it hits redline.....

ohh and plant the throttle without launch control to minimize wheel hop and wheel spin

I got a faster time in the drag stripe without LC ;)

I agree, i got 6.73 without putting it into S mode and by using the manual mode! Shifting yourself seems to do the trick with the jumping and jerking too. Thanks GTIW7