GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

saw8414

I’ve been wanting to do this upgrade for a couple years now and I’m finally ready. Can someone please send me Jack’s contact info?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve been wanting to do this upgrade for a couple years now and I’m finally ready. Can someone please send me Jack’s contact info?

Thanks!

You can find Jack on Skype, which is how he prefers to be contacted. Username: jacekk993

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Question for discovery pro retro-fitters. I have successfully completed MIB1 with nav to Discover media. What would i need if i one day decide to go to Discover pro? Im guessing i would need the Glovebox HU compatible with nav and a new nav sd card too? Im guessing all my current nav hardware would be fine. Would i need a nav speced display? Would i need a new fec activation code for nav or would the dealer be able to just code it in? I guess it would be easiest to have jack code it for me instead but just wanted some confirmation on what i would need

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would guess your current display will work but you may want one with the nav button. You can install a screen with a nav button on a non nav system and it works so it should work the other way also. Someone with nav will have to chime in to say whether you can get to the nav function via the menu button but I would assume so.

You are correct that you will need the glovebox unit and will also need to buy a navcard for your desired region from VW. You will also need a GPS antenna. Easiest thing to do first, in my opinion, is to give the dealer your VIN and ask them what part number antenna is on your car.

All of the shark fins look the same but can have any combination of XM and/or GPS to reportedly being a dummy antenna (with nothing connected to it) on the base radio Mk7.5. My '15 TDI S has a GPS antenna but no nav. My guess is that through the lifespan of the mk7 VW was able to save some money by not equipping every golf with the most expensive antenna.

If your dealer is reasonable may be worth a try to have them activate nav since you could get a 2015 with that function, unlike app connect. My guess is you will have to buy the activation code (don't know where from) which still might not work because they didn't sell codes for this use here in the states. Best bet is probably to save the frustration and pay for Jack's services.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I would guess your current display will work but you may want one with the nav button. You can install a screen with a nav button on a non nav system and it works so it should work the other way also. Someone with nav will have to chime in to say whether you can get to the nav function via the menu button but I would assume so.

You are correct that you will need the glovebox unit and will also need to buy a navcard for your desired region from VW. You will also need a GPS antenna. Easiest thing to do first, in my opinion, is to give the dealer your VIN and ask them what part number antenna is on your car.

All of the shark fins look the same but can have any combination of XM and/or GPS to reportedly being a dummy antenna (with nothing connected to it) on the base radio Mk7.5. My '15 TDI S has a GPS antenna but no nav. My guess is that through the lifespan of the mk7 VW was able to save some money by not equipping every golf with the most expensive antenna.

If your dealer is reasonable may be worth a try to have them activate nav since you could get a 2015 with that function, unlike app connect. My guess is you will have to buy the activation code (don't know where from) which still might not work because they didn't sell codes for this use here in the states. Best bet is probably to save the frustration and pay for Jack's services.

Discover Pro doesn't use an SD card - the maps are stored on the onboard storage.

Cheap GPS antennas can be found on eBay for a couple of dollars and just sit behind the head unit - they work perfectly fine.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh cool, didn't know about the onboard storage... how do you update the maps?

Also I didn't mean to suggest he had to use the shark fin, just that he could check and see if it was possible. I chose not to get a nav unit for cost reasons (and I'm fine with Google Maps) but I found out my antenna was GPS capable while researching the retrofit.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Oh cool, didn't know about the onboard storage... how do you update the maps?

Ironically, with an SD card :D

Over here in the UK, we can download the maps and update the system free of charge - not sure how it is elsewhere. From what I've heard, people in the US have to pay regardless.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Ironically, with an SD card :D

Over here in the UK, we can download the maps and update the system free of charge - not sure how it is elsewhere. From what I've heard, people in the US have to pay regardless.

Not at the moment you can’t! The discovercare application (V. 1.0.4 I think) hasn’t worked for quite a while now, when you try and download the map update it gets right to the end and then you get a checksum error, when looking at the download logs it shows someone presumably at VW has input the checksum code in lower case when the program is looking for upper case so it causes the error.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Not at the moment you can’t! The discovercare application (V. 1.0.4 I think) hasn’t worked for quite a while now, when you try and download the map update it gets right to the end and then you get a checksum error, when looking at the download logs it shows someone presumably at VW has input the checksum code in lower case when the program is looking for upper case so it causes the error.

Don't use DiscoverCare then - download the map data manually. Works just fine.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Don't use DiscoverCare then - download the map data manually. Works just fine.

It didn’t work manually for me either, i still got a checksum error!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It didn’t work manually for me either, i still got a checksum error!

This is why I havn't bothered updating my maps this time around...mind you I hardly use the sat nav & I find it easier to use my 1:25K OS High Def maps on my old iPad Mini...just wish I could mirror that onto the screen...

But as I have the Dynaudio it's a major upgrade from MIB1 to MIB2 ...:mad: