GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspected turbo rattle IS20

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
did an is20 swap about 4000 miles ago, turbo has about 22,000 miles on it, I don't know if this was there from the beginning or not but it sounds like its getting worse. There is a metal rattling/flapping sound coming from the engine bay. The sound is not there off throttle, or when I am off boost completely. But if I am making slight boost, like 1/4 throttle with the revs climbing slowly it is there. It is not RPM dependent, if I stay in a low gear and let off the throttle and keep the RPM's up and ease back into the throttle again, its there. The rattle seems to go away as the boost increases. Tried to record it but my phone is not picking it up. I had the intake off last weekend and took some pictures of the turbo and everything looks clean, don't feel any wiggle in the shaft either. Going to check it again this weekend as well as the exhaust side to see what I find. Anyone have any ideas, getting paranoid with all the is20 turbo failures on the older Rev, which is what I have (rev R). I have also been checking oil temps and they are normal, IAT is normal, and in my logs I am always hitting requested boost. Any input would be great so I could stop being paranoid and enjoy the car again.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Only thing I can suggest is checking the bolt on the v band clamp holding the downpipe to the turbo. Pretty common for them to come loose over time and rattle.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Only thing I can suggest is checking the bolt on the v band clamp holding the downpipe to the turbo. Pretty common for them to come loose over time and rattle.

Great, I'll try and tighten this down tonight, there is a little more of a gap on the top of the clamp then there was when I installed it, but grabbing I cant get any sort of wiggle or movement, but its worth a shot.

If the wheels were actually ratting around and touching the turbo housing I should see visible damage correct, there is no way that much sound could be coming through without there being physical signs if that is the case.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
V-band was loose, a good 2 turns, I sure hope that was it.

Melted, thanks for the idea, I do have a rattle in my waste gate arm, but not at the electric actuator, only at the turbo arm/flap, going to keep this in mind though if the vband tightening doesn't solve it.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Had some time to drive it now and get it up to full temp, which is when the rattling would come about more obviously. Everything is all good now after tightening down that V-band clamp

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Damn man you won the lottery there! I could see the white smoke coming out already....

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Jumped the gun, rattle is still there, any more ideas?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
I might have missed something but it sounds load dependent. So maybe when the engine is in a loaded position due to acceleration you have some heat shield somewhere that's making contact with exhaust or somethign else?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Just got the car back from the dealer, the bushing in the factory pendulum mount failed and was allowing metal on metal contact and that's the rattling sound I was hearing. Just an update for anyone in the future searching out possible causes for rattles in their own car.

VWGAT

Where is that located? Getting a odd machine gun sound on acceleration/load that appeared last week. Have a dealer appointment next week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk