GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE exhaust advice..

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
I have AWE Touring exhaust and Im planning to convert to Track, has anybody tried this? Is it too loud or just little louder. Though I really don't want it too loud that wakes up the neighborhood.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have AWE Touring exhaust and Im planning to convert to Track, has anybody tried this? Is it too loud or just little louder. Though I really don't want it too loud that wakes up the neighborhood.

I went from track to touring simply because I didn't like the drone around 2700-3200rpm... Also seemed to be much louder down low and got quieter as the revs climbed. The touring is much more even toned throughout the rev range. I also have plans to get a downpipe installed which should be used with the touring edition. With the track a downpipe is just plain loud! though it does sound great :D

I liked the track edition much more when I was being sprited, though for a daily driver where I have to go ~30 miles each way to and from work on the highway the touring was a better option. Really depends on where you drive and what your future plans are with the car. If a downpipe is in your plans just keep the touring edition.

AWE has some good exhaust clips that compare the two as well:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-mk7gti-exhaust

Touring:

Track:

Here's with a downpipe:
Touring w/downpipe:

Track widh downpipe:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
ATR, do you have your soundaktur disabked? I ask because the only time i've heard drone in my AWE track CB was with that thing on.

MAIC, I couldn't imagine paying more for a CB and have it quieter than the track IMO. Also, you are not going to wake up the neighborhood, especially when you keep the revs below 3k, after that is when it starts to make some noise.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Good advice by ATR: "If a downpipe is in your plans just keep the touring edition." Otherwise, you will probably like the extra sound.

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have a downpipe I don't know if you can pass emission test. Though Im not sure if this is true. We have emission test in my place. Though it's more expensive does it produce more power?

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
If you have a downpipe I don't know if you can pass emission test. Though Im not sure if this is true. We have emission test in my place. Though it's more expensive does it produce more power?

Yes, a downpipe is really the only exhaust mod that will yield a decent power increase on this car, but you will need a JB4 or a tune to really take advantage of it. Just the cat-back exhaust won't really add much HP, it's really mainly just for sound. Maybe a couple HP perhaps, but nothing you can really notice.

Yes, emissions will be tough with a DP. Best to check with others in your area. Some DP's have better quality catalytic converters (GESi) and may be able to pass emissions in some places, but I'm not really the one to ask. The only DP that will always pass a visual inspection is the stock DP.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
ATR, do you have your soundaktur disabked? I ask because the only time i've heard drone in my AWE track CB was with that thing on.

MAIC, I couldn't imagine paying more for a CB and have it quieter than the track IMO. Also, you are not going to wake up the neighborhood, especially when you keep the revs below 3k, after that is when it starts to make some noise.
Yes, it's been turned off for quite a while now. I think I turned it off within the first couple weeks that I bought it. Honestly the drone wasn't really bad at all. I mainly did the touring conversion midpipe because I have plans to install a awe downpipe.

Yes, a downpipe is really the only exhaust mod that will yield a decent power increase on this car, but you will need a JB4 or a tune to really take advantage of it. Just the cat-back exhaust won't really add much HP, it's really mainly just for sound. Maybe a couple HP perhaps, but nothing you can really notice.

Yes, emissions will be tough with a DP. Best to check with others in your area. Some DP's have better quality catalytic converters (GESi) and may be able to pass emissions in some places, but I'm not really the one to ask. The only DP that will always pass a visual inspection is the stock DP.
AWE's downpipe is guaranteed not to pop a CEL Most places across the country just do a OBD2 hookup. So long as no check engine light is lit and the exhaust does not smell like raw gas they won't suspect anything :)