GOLFMKV

Car and Driver- Civic Type R vs Golf R: Hot Hatch Showdown

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So many kaboom stories here and other forums on tuned and untuned gti’s
https://youtu.be/V6jzRQpMw24

If you got a a 6mt, you have crank walk to worry about.
Everyones at risk for bad waterpumps/thermostats failures..dont pay attention and there goes your headgasket.

These reasons are also why i would take a CTR.

I love my gti but all these potential failures makes me want to trade it in.
I never had any drivetrain issues with my honda. They know how to make reliable engines.

So many kaboom stories here and on other forums? There's very little on here and if you factor in the amount on forums compared to the total amount of GTI's and R's sold in the US, it's a very small percentage. Same goes for the 6MT and crank walk. The water pump/thermostat housing is nothing new for VW. Just about every generation has had that issue. Every car manufacturer will have some issues with their vehicles so it's not like Honda hasn't had their fair share of problems. It is what it is and before anybody says that I'm just a MK7 fanboi, you can eat a dick. I'm a VW enthusiast and long time owner of different generations which is far from being a damn fanboi.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
So many kaboom stories here and on other forums? There's very little on here and if you factor in the amount on forums compared to the total amount of GTI's and R's sold in the US, it's a very small percentage. Same goes for the 6MT and crank walk. The water pump/thermostat housing is nothing new for VW. Just about every generation has had that issue. Every car manufacturer will have some issues with their vehicles so it's not like Honda hasn't had their fair share of problems. It is what it is and before anybody says that I'm just a MK7 fanboi, you can eat a dick. I'm a VW enthusiast and long time owner of different generations which is far from being a damn fanboi.

Honda has had very few issues where VW seems to have an achilles heel for every model and generation.

I wish I didn’t sell my AP1 S2000 in 2005, tons of cars now reliably over 200k miles now.

My old S2K...

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Plain and simple, the CTR is overpriced for what you get. 40-45k for a FWD hot hatch is nuts. At that price point there are plenty of non-FWD options.

I have total $29k into my GTI including mods, to the average driver on the track, it's every bit as good as the CTR. I outpaced a CTR on the track as a new driver, not that it means anything, both of us a new to road racing. Neither of us plan on tracking our cars seriously...but both cars provided plenty of fun. I just get to do so with much less money and slip by cops with ease. On the way home you'll notice the difference in ride quality though, the GTI is the comfort king. I take regular trips to DC, there is a reason I've seen very few CTRs in that area.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I love my gti but all these potential failures makes me want to trade it in.
I never had any drivetrain issues with my honda. They know how to make reliable engines.

Reliability on the turbo Honda motors is still TBD at the moment. That line up is still relatively new.

The CTR has had a couple issues: gear grinding (required replacement transmissions on some of them), overheating, underboost/rev match issue.

Also the 1.5T had some issues with oil dilution and the 2.0L models had issues with piston snap rings very early on.

From what I understand most if not all those issues have been addressed in the form of TSBs and extending warranty on some models; but as the cars age who knows what will come up. At the very least Honda acknowledges the problems.

One thing I've always liked about Honda is they are quick to address most faults, unlike VW from what I've seen Honda will act on things quickly rather than having problems linger across multiple generations.

Personally, if Honda ever does a hatchback Si I would be all over that. I love my GTI but as reliable as the MK7 appears to be I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit concerned about long-term reliability.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Honda has had very few issues where VW seems to have an achilles heel for every model and generation.

I wish I didn’t sell my AP1 S2000 in 2005, tons of cars now reliably over 200k miles now.

My old S2K...

My brother has I think an 03 s2k... super low miles... I think 8-12 miles? Not much

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Plain and simple, the CTR is overpriced for what you get. 40-45k for a FWD hot hatch is nuts. At that price point there are plenty of non-FWD options.

I have total $29k into my GTI including mods, to the average driver on the track, it's every bit as good as the CTR. I outpaced a CTR on the track as a new driver, not that it means anything, both of us a new to road racing. Neither of us plan on tracking our cars seriously...but both cars provided plenty of fun. I just get to do so with much less money and slip by cops with ease. On the way home you'll notice the difference in ride quality though, the GTI is the comfort king. I take regular trips to DC, there is a reason I've seen very few CTRs in that area.

Yes, for a FWD car with a crappy interior... it absolutely is. It’s got some great numbers and performance, no doubt, but personally I could never justify that over an R.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016

The CTR will still be limited to FWD though, a GTI+bolt-ons+Protune would wipe the floor of the CTR for less money. The GTI's engine can also hit 400+hp easier, where the CTR's rods can let loose at 400hp. A 400hp GTI can be had cheaper than a 400hp CTR.

I don't even see the CTR and R as a fair comparison, money saved getting an R can be used toward APR+. Once it's out of warranty go stage 2 and run 11s...it'll take a lot of work to get a CTR into the 11s.

Are you like 18 years old?
:confused::confused::confused:

Yes, for a FWD car with a crappy interior... it absolutely is. It’s got some great numbers and performance, no doubt, but personally I could never justify that over an R.

Honda actually makes some interiors with nice fit and finish. Looks is subjective. I have a 19 crv and the interior is quiet with no rattles...

Myself and others are dealing with multiple rattles and buzzes in our GTI :(

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Crappy interior?

The new Civic has a perfectly fine interior.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
My brother has I think an 03 s2k... super low miles... I think 8-12 miles? Not much

Nice, should be worth $23k-$28k.

He should list it on Bring a Trailer auctions if he ever decides to sell.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I doubt this applies to the CTR but aren't many of the current Honda engines having issues with burning oil regardless of mileage?