GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock to APR Stage 1 to APR Stage 2 in 2 Weeks (2019 DSG)

thatgolfrguy

So I have a 2019 Golf R DSG. I put 4,000 miles on it stock. I then got the APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune and 2 weeks later I got the APR Stage 2 ECU Tune with the APR downpipe, intercooler, and intake. I’ll go over my thoughts on each tune.

Stock: I absolutely loved the stock Golf R. It is nice and quick and I registered a 4.6 second 0-60 mph time @ 2,000 ft elevation with launch control and 5.2 second 0-60 time @ 2,000 ft elevation without launch control (stopping and mashing the gas pedal). The DSG gearbox shifted quickly and generally I had no problems with it. The big downside to the stock TCU is that it goes into 7th gear at like 35 mph. It always shifts too quickly and makes daily driving not in sport mode kind of hard as there is no acceleration unless you mash the gas pedal. As for acceleration, the Golf R stock is pretty quick. Once it gets into boost, the acceleration is very linear. The one downside I saw was that in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, the acceleration was pretty bad (compared to the subsequent tunes). Although the Golf R is very fast compared to other cars, passing people at 70 mph was still comparatively slow in terms of tunes.

APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU: First, the TCU tune is amazing. It makes daily driving 100% better. Stock TCU would always go to too high of a gear in D mode and so if you tried to accelerate you had to deal with a slow turbo spool from 1.5k rpm unless you hit the kickdown switch. The new TCU tune does not shift up nearly as aggressively. As for performance, the shifts feel noticeably faster. It is nice to have the gear number in the virtual cockpit. Launch control also feels optimized. I wish I could have gotten better 0-60 times, but I didn’t have much time and got a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds @2,000 ft elevation with launch control and a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds @2,000 ft elevation without launch control. Now for the ECU tune. APR says that Stage 1 will give you a bump of 80 horsepower and 90 lb ft of torque. You 100% feel this. Everything just pulls harder. I would say that stock does not really put you into the back of your seat (feel the G Force), but stage 1 really puts you into the back of your seat and feels really fast. In gear acceleration is where you really feel the difference. To better describe stage 2, stage 1 feels like it has a peak of power.

APR Stage 2 ECU, intercooler, intake, and downpipe: At first, the peak horsepower and torque is not a massive bump. I think it is +20 over stage 1. While you do notice the bump in power, the biggest difference is in gear acceleration and the hp and torque curves. While stage 1 felt like it built up to higher power and that power had a definite peak, stage 2 feels like it has the max power and torque all throughout the rpm band after 3,200 rpm. Stage 1 builds up to max power, stage 2 feels like you have max power and torque the whole time. 4th, 5th, and 6th gears feel like the finally have good acceleration, so there is less of a reason to downshift when trying to pass. I have not gotten a good 0-60 time yet, but at 1,000 ft elevation with 3 people in the car, I managed to get a 3.9 second 0-60 with launch control. I’ll update this thread once I get a good 0-60 run with stage 2.

Other Thoughts:
1. It seems that unlike previous APR Stage 2 files, this stage 2 file does not disable the O2 sensors. In fact, I am showing that all but the catalyst readiness sensors are passing. I originally put an O2 spacer on and this caused an O2 lean sensor code. I was always under the impression that APR disables the rear O2 sensor on stage 2. Once I took the O2 spacer off, I no longer got any codes and the O2 sensor passed readiness.

2. I am experiencing occasional misfires. I made a thread about this, but the summary is that on long drives (300+miles), when I am using cruise control around 70 to 77 miles per hour at 2,000 rpm and 0% load, I will get 1 or 2 misfires in cylinders 1 and 4. This only happens once or twice per long drive. I have changed spark plugs and ignition coils, but it still persists. I am trying different solutions.

Over-all, Stage 2 makes the Golf R a BEAST. This car is now so fast and fun to drive and the acceleration is crazy.

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Nice write up. My 17 R had the APR Stage 1 ECU & TCU tunes. It ran 12.01 at 112 with a 1.76 60 ft.
I was impressed.

Although not mentioned, I assume you installed the 93 High torque, and not the Low or Medium they offer.

thatgolfrguy

Nice write up. My 17 R had the APR Stage 1 ECU & TCU tunes. It ran 12.01 at 112 with a 1.76 60 ft.
I was impressed.

Although not mentioned, I assume you installed the 93 High torque, and not the Low or Medium they offer.

Correct Stage 2 ECU 93 Octane High Torque and TCU tune

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write up! I have a 2019 GTI SE manual. I upgraded to stage 1 (Integrated Engineering tune/intercooler/downpipe/intake) about 3 months ago. They had told me, at the time (a week after installing stage 1), that stage 2 was complete. After i purchased the tune (a coulple days later), they told me that they needed beta testers and that the tune required more testing. We're now getting close to 4 months. Are they pulling my chain or is everyone else ( APR/Unitronic) waiting as well? Wish I would have gone w a different company.

JS12

Ready to race!
Great review that gives a good basis for comparison. I know there are a lot of variables involved in 0-60 times but it’s one of the few things many of us can measure regularly. I’m on IE ECU/TCU Stage 1 93 running E30 and UM Haldex tunes with no hardware and my best 0-60 is 4.00 in 100 degree weather with full weight, spare, and full tank of gas.

To richief556 - IE is a reputable company. It took them a while to get tunes out for my 18R but I’ve been very happy coming from a JB4. I’d reach out to John from IE here on the forums if you haven’t already and see if he can help.

Mike Jesse

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the driving impressions.

I currently have a JB1 and the CTS direct fit intercooler installed on my 19 R and really like the nice bump in performance.

As with yours, the stock TCU tune is all about getting the car into high gears as soon as possible. Sorta sucks.

In a perfect world I wish the trans would shift up to 4th and stay there until
about 40 MPH. This would be perfect for driving through town.

Mine ran 12.90's stock at the track and 12.50's now with the JB1.

I think the sweet spot might be the APR Stage 1 93 tune/TCU tune.

Hopefully APR will have one of their 10% off deals soon that I will take advantage of.

TheKog

Great info. I just went down the same path. 2019 golf r, loved stage 1 and tcu upgrade. Car felt fun, smooth, and very boosty when turbo came on. However I am pretty disappointed with stage 2 so far. It seems like the car is much less smooth and refined. It is clearly much louder in the cabin in regular driving. I have stock exhaust and just apt intake, intercooler, and downpipe. If I didn't know better I suspect the stage 2 ecu upgrade is not setup well with the tcu upgrade as far as shift maps etc. Even though burps and farts are turned off it does sound like it misfires occasionally when it shifts. If I could undo the stage 2 I would, it is not a good value for the price compared to stage 1 and I have fallen out of love with my car, grrrrr!

I miss the boosty back in ur seat push of stage 1. While stage 2 seems to have more power and immediate response to throttle vs stage 1, it is no longer the refined high performance daily driver i loved at stage 1, and lacks the smooth refined performance of stage 1.

Are there tcu parameters that should be modified for stage 2 ecu? I can't help but feel something is wrong. My apr was done by an awesome mechanic at be dealer who has been doing these for years, so i don't know where to turn.

thatgolfrguy

Great info. I just went down the same path. 2019 golf r, loved stage 1 and tcu upgrade. Car felt fun, smooth, and very boosty when turbo came on. However I am pretty disappointed with stage 2 so far. It seems like the car is much less smooth and refined. It is clearly much louder in the cabin in regular driving. I have stock exhaust and just apt intake, intercooler, and downpipe. If I didn't know better I suspect the stage 2 ecu upgrade is not setup well with the tcu upgrade as far as shift maps etc. Even though burps and farts are turned off it does sound like it misfires occasionally when it shifts. If I could undo the stage 2 I would, it is not a good value for the price compared to stage 1 and I have fallen out of love with my car, grrrrr!

I miss the boosty back in ur seat push of stage 1. While stage 2 seems to have more power and immediate response to throttle vs stage 1, it is no longer the refined high performance daily driver i loved at stage 1, and lacks the smooth refined performance of stage 1.

Are there tcu parameters that should be modified for stage 2 ecu? I can't help but feel something is wrong. My apr was done by an awesome mechanic at be dealer who has been doing these for years, so i don't know where to turn.

I think that the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is not super big. I do like the more linear feel. I guess it comes down to opinion on cost vs value.

mdesjard

I think that the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is not super big. I do like the more linear feel. I guess it comes down to opinion on cost vs value.

I am following this thread closely. I am just about ready to go from stage 1 to stage 2 but with the differing opinions, I am now relunctant. Of those that went to stage 2 would you do it again or just stay at stage 1?

thatgolfrguy

I am following this thread closely. I am just about ready to go from stage 1 to stage 2 but with the differing opinions, I am now relunctant. Of those that went to stage 2 would you do it again or just stay at stage 1?

Cost of intercooler, intake, and downpipe + labor + tax cost me $5,000 from stage 1 to stage 2. I would say that there is a noticeable difference, but whether its worth $5,000 will come down to the individual. The nice thing about APR is that you don't have to decide stage 1 vs stage 2 forever. You can just do stage 1 ecu and or tcu tune now, and then later get stage 2. Thats the nice thing. You can always add components and upgrade later if you want. My opinion is that you should go stage 1 and see how you like it. If its not enough, then go stage 2.

Mk7sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
I currently have a JB1 and the CTS direct fit intercooler installed on my 19 R and really like the nice bump in performance.

Do you think the intercooler adds anything with just the JB1?
Thanks,
Robin

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I have a 2015 R with APR Stage 2 (high torque) with a APR DSG tune and other goodies.
It runs hard and delivers GREAT results. Muscle cars have no idea when we get it on!

NO MISSFIRES!

daR7.5

New 2019 owner here and also planning on stage2 eventually - my understanding was that the downpipe on the 7.5 is slightly different and that there wasn’t stage2 software available yet ... how are you gents running stage2?

Could the incorrect file be part of the misfire problems OP mentioned? Not that it’s incorrect, but just perhaps needs to be tweaked

Mike Jesse

Passed Driver's Ed

Do you think the intercooler adds anything with just the JB1?
Thanks,
Robin

I can honestly say I'm not sure. I did the swap with the intension of going to the APR Stage 1 tune later.
It certainly didn't hurt.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cost of intercooler, intake, and downpipe + labor + tax cost me $5,000 from stage 1 to stage 2. I would say that there is a noticeable difference, but whether its worth $5,000 will come down to the individual. The nice thing about APR is that you don't have to decide stage 1 vs stage 2 forever. You can just do stage 1 ecu and or tcu tune now, and then later get stage 2. Thats the nice thing. You can always add components and upgrade later if you want. My opinion is that you should go stage 1 and see how you like it. If its not enough, then go stage 2.

You overpaid for something. IC, DP, intake plus labor should have been around $2000 to $3000 depending upon where you got those parts.