GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you do it all over again?

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I would not buy it again. But only so I could buy something else. That being said, zero regrets purchasing the GTI. You know you made the right purchase when you look back at your car every time you walk away.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Ducati,

that sux and while it is a biggie you did get a new car. Props to VW for that and if they can figure out the paperwork it will be nice.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
would absolutely buy it again.

This thread sounds so similar to the "how long would you keep it" thread on vortex. I'd absolutely buy my MY15 again and keep it til the very end. Especially with the 2dr/3dr option gone from the US market. Now if only i could retrofit a VAQ i could complete the unicorn...

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Wait, huh? The engine doesn’t want to go into first above 10mph?? What transmission DOES want to?? Every car I’ve ever driven, downshift into first is violent above 10mph. This car has more than enough torque to be in second at a crawl.

Also the wheels are too small stock? Huh? So you want heavier 19’s? That will slow it down more?

Every turbo car heatsoaks. My ‘08 335i sedan did in summer quite often, was pretty apparent when merging sometimes.

And lastly, if you want RWD, then buy that. A silly point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under 10 mph, specifically under 5 when I slow for a dip or bump. The car will stay in second until I have to either stop, or lug the engine to get moving.

Yes for the body they are, I want 18x8 or 18x8.7, not the 7.5's that come stock.

My BMW X5 didn't heatsoak at all and I flogged that thing pretty hard at times.

I'm not saying I want RWD just FWD is annoying.

Can I not have my opinions about my own car? And if you are going to attack my perspective, at least read my post correctly.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Ducati.. man that's one helluva story. Every single link in the chain dropped the ball - VW produced a lemon, the dealer sounds awful, and the CU is a bunch of polesmokers too.

That CU stuff should have been the easiest to resolve yet they continue to be a thorn in your side. I'd refinance that puppy STAT and get rid of those clowns. PenFed is a great place to utilize and their rates are super-competitive.

tgodon13

Ready to race!
No regrets here. I've had mine for just about 3 years and 34,000 miles. The occasional rattles are a bit annoying, but nothing the Fender audio system cannot compensate for:D

I was able to tune my JB1 around the 3000-3500 RPM clutch slip by reducing the boost in that range. I was happy to take the slight drop in performance in that range over replacing the clutch with so few miles. I've sold vehicles that I put 175k-211k on the original clutch, so I refuse to replace this one so soon!!

I put 11k on the car in the first 5 months, but since then I started working from home, so now I only put on about 600 mile a month. I have driven it NJ to FL and back, and to Vermont and back a few times, and it is the most comfortable car I've even done long drives in.

So...yes, I would do it again, provided they still sold the 2 door in the USA. I wanted an R, but since it was not available in a 2 door in the USA I went for the GTI.

DucatiSSsp

Passed Driver's Ed
Ducati.. man that's one helluva story. Every single link in the chain dropped the ball - VW produced a lemon, the dealer sounds awful, and the CU is a bunch of polesmokers too.

That CU stuff should have been the easiest to resolve yet they continue to be a thorn in your side. I'd refinance that puppy STAT and get rid of those clowns. PenFed is a great place to utilize and their rates are super-competitive.

Yeah, nobody seems to follow through to make sure a process is complete. I'm at 2.69% so not sure if I could do better. If it's not fixed by the next statement, I'll just pay it off.

Did get this reply from the CU after I emailed them this AM, at least it's in printed form this time....... :rolleyes:

"Yes, I can confirm that the charge is being reversed from your account. We are unsure of why this process is taking longer than usual, but rest assured it is in process to be completed. I escalated your account to management to review, just to make sure. I was advised process is in transition of being complete. Thank you for your inquiry and patience in this matter."

defcon5

Ready to race!
I was curious to hear from you all. I’m currently looking into get into a mk7 GTI soon myself and have been reading the various discussions here. From the clutch dying too quickly with a apr tune to random rattles that seem to appear out of nowhere.

Current or former owners of a GTI: why did you want to get one and now that you have one, if you could return back to the day you bought it would you sign your name again for the deal? Why or why not?

Do it again? Yes. I have been since the GTI MK1. I have owned every GTI model type except the MK4. And that is only because my MK3 lasted for 220K miles before I sold it.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I'm smitten by the GTI, so I'd definitely do it again. However, I would/should have just bit the bullet and got the Performance Pack. Huge regret there. I'm at the point now where a diff is literally the only thing missing and it's WAYYYY too expensive to put in a mechanical one aftermarket. I also should have shopped around more. I ended up with a CSM when I wanted white/red, and the discount I got was probably half of what I could have got. The 0.9% rate was great, however.

The only issue I have with the car is the damn squeaky door seals. Such a PITA.

The great part is that as I'm modding the GTI, I'm picking parts that will transfer over to the R. My plan is in another year or so to grab a 7.5 R and port everything over.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Same as above - I wish I would've waited and found a PP.

I'd buy again if I had the same budget as you really can't do better than a GTI for the price. For some more $$$ I'll get something AWD next time.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Same as above - I wish I would've waited and found a PP.

I'd buy again if I had the same budget as you really can't do better than a GTI for the price. For some more $$$ I'll get something AWD next time.

Alltrack!

RebelGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was curious to hear from you all. I’m currently looking into get into a mk7 GTI soon myself and have been reading the various discussions here. From the clutch dying too quickly with a apr tune to random rattles that seem to appear out of nowhere.

Current or former owners of a GTI: why did you want to get one and now that you have one, if you could return back to the day you bought it would you sign your name again for the deal? Why or why not?

I would absolutely do it all over again. The only thing I would skip is getting the entire front of my car wrapped in XPEL. That was way too expensive for a car with a sticker price of $30K. That money would've been better spent on performance mods.