GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Won't select reverse

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Hi everyone.

I've got a 2014 MK7 GTI PP in manual, and the last couple of days it's been refusing to go into reverse gear ! Quite embarrassing sometimes if I'm honest.

Took me 10mins to literally force it into reverse this morning on my way to work, as I had to back out of my driveway !

Has anyone had the same thing with their manual Mk7 GTI ?

Thanks in advanced.

glina126

Ready to race!
Yeap I had that too, synchros don't line up... Don't shove it in, let it go in as much as it will and release the clutch ever so slightly. It will either jump into gear or jump out of it. Also, if you roll a tiniest bit, it should go into gear no problem

glina126

Ready to race!
Cheers for the reply :)

So did you take it into VW ?

Thinking of dropping it off this afternoon as it's still under warrantee

Nah, it's a common thing in mt from my personal experience. They won't be able to fix it, it's just how the transmission is designed really. Doesn't happen to often for me (once a month maybe) and it's not really a problem so naye, not taking it in

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
There never used to be synchros on reverse gear anyway, not even sure a golf gets one nowadays. Just lift the clutch very gently while leaning on the gear lever and it'll turn the cogs enough to engage. The most correct approach is to put gear in neutral, lift clutch completely to spin the half shafts in the gearbox, then re-engage clutch and try again. Certainly won't take ten minutes..

Warning: may contain VR6

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
When this happens I usually put it in first then back to neutral and try again, works every time for me.

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
All fixed guys. Was a problem with the linkage. 5 min job and it's absolutely perfect now.

Something had jammed somewhere stopping me from selecting reverse.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Aha, you /really/ had a problem selecting reverse! Haha
There was us all assuming you couldn't drive. Lol :)

Warning: may contain VR6