GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Gas Woes...

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Before ethanol, there was a difference between summer gas and winter gas, winter gas had Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE), which was carcinogenic and people complained that their cars didn't run right.

Then came the ethanol mandate, which replaced the MTBE in winter gas, and ultimately, it became year-round gas.

Ethanol, while a great engine cleaner, is also very hydroscropic. Try a little Star-Tron gas additive.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Yes I have checked those parts. The spark plugs have a rusty looking color on them after 15,000 miles but it didn't affect the performance and the O2 sensor looked fine. No coating at all. It doesn't foul the plugs it only discolors them which has no effect.
I heard horror story from people with clogged cats because of the MMT product in these. I think it’s a little blown out of proportion. Never the less, not sure if daily driving with this stuff is necessarily the best.
I was thinking of adding boostane and dailying it. When I pulled my plugs, it threw me off since I had to give them a good cleaning.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I heard horror story from people with clogged cats because of the MMT product in these. I think it’s a little blown out of proportion. Never the less, not sure if daily driving with this stuff is necessarily the best.
I was thinking of adding boostane and dailying it. When I pulled my plugs, it threw me off since I had to give them a good cleaning.

I've been using the Torco full time for 15,000 miles so far but I'll post it here if anything changes. I got mine dyno tuned for the Torco and picked up 23 HP and 18 torque.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I've been using the Torco full time for 15,000 miles so far but I'll post it here if anything changes. I got mine dyno tuned for the Torco and picked up 23 HP and 18 torque.
Don’t want to thread jack but what kind of timing advance is it allowing you to achieve? What’s the end result of octane?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Don’t want to thread jack but what kind of timing advance is it allowing you to achieve? What’s the end result of octane?

I'm FBO IS38 and before the Torco the most advance I could run was 8 degrees and with the Torco equal to 93 octane they were able to increase it to 11 degrees. The biggest gains were after 4500 RPM. Pulls pretty good.