GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winshield protectant options

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
Since the vw windshields Are so expensive has anyone tried a protective film? I remember jay leno add something to his mclaran. What does everybody think about doing that.

cb1111

Bad idea. What makes more sense is to get a quote on reducing the deductible on the comprehensive portion of your insurance as comp covers stuff like wildlife and glass.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
For very little, I added just windshield protection to my insurance policy. With a $50 deductible and Safelite, I already got one OEM replacement.

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
My insurance deductible is 500. That with how fragile the windshield is I was just thinking about what I saw on the net.

cb1111

Get a quote on reducing the deductible (for comprehensive only) to $100. The difference for me ($1k to $100) is about $25 a year, keeping the $1k collision deductible.

Comp claims do not raise your premiums and cover fire/theft, wildlife and glass claims - bascally anything that isn't your fault.

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
My insurance issues go much deeper with having two cars totaled in The same year both not my fault but I get punished just the same.

cb1111

My insurance issues go much deeper with having two cars totaled in The same year both not my fault but I get punished just the same.
Didn't see that you were in Florida (one of only a dozen no-fault states) where insurance companies increase rates for not-at-fault accidents.

You may still want to see what your comp rates would do - even in Florida with their ridiculously high insurance rates.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Do the math. A windshield is a few hundred bucks and you may go through 1 or 2 over a 10 year span of ownership. Your deductible will usually be too high on comprehensive to cover it so you are out of pocket. Cost difference to drop deductible or add additional windshield coverage costs X a year times number of years. It's probalby cheaper to just be prepared to pay for it a few times. But that's how I deal with almost eveything...insurance isn't worth it most of the time on small things for me.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

cb1111

Do the math. A windshield is a few hundred bucks and you may go through 1 or 2 over a 10 year span of ownership. Your deductible will usually be too high on comprehensive to cover it so you are out of pocket. Cost difference to drop deductible or add additional windshield coverage costs X a year times number of years. It's probalby cheaper to just be prepared to pay for it a few times. But that's how I deal with almost eveything...insurance isn't worth it most of the time on small things for me.
Let's do the math.

We have to start with a few assumptions:

A new windshield is $700
You need a new windshield every 5 years
A $100 deductible costs less than $50 a year (more than the $1k deductible). Mine is actually $25 a year but that might not be typical

Accordingly, the 5 years of increased premiums are about $250. Add the deductible and your costs for a new windshield are $350

To get back to the original question of protection films.

ClearPlex (Madico), 3M and others make exterior windshield film. Originally developed for helicopters in desert conditions, they've been adapted to car windshields.

Technically, these are illegal in most states but - unless damaged - are unlikely to cause issues. You should figure $500+ for an install with a 3 year warranty against yellowing or damage.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Let's do the math.

We have to start with a few assumptions:

A new windshield is $700
You need a new windshield every 5 years
A $100 deductible costs less than $50 a year (more than the $1k deductible). Mine is actually $25 a year but that might not be typical

Accordingly, the 5 years of increased premiums are about $250. Add the deductible and your costs for a new windshield are $350

To get back to the original question of protection films.

ClearPlex (Madico), 3M and others make exterior windshield film. Originally developed for helicopters in desert conditions, they've been adapted to car windshields.

Technically, these are illegal in most states but - unless damaged - are unlikely to cause issues. You should figure $500+ for an install with a 3 year warranty against yellowing or damage.

Wow....$700? Last one I bought was last year and it was $300 for a Honda Odyssey which is huge and much larger than a MK7?

cb1111

Wow....$700? Last one I bought was last year and it was $300 for a Honda Odyssey which is huge and much larger than a MK7?
The $700 may actually be low. Some of this modern glass (that accepts all those sensors) is getting more and more expensive. Safelite quotes about $500 for a non-rain sensing windshield. Add the specialty glass for the various sensors and $700 is no stretch. The glass for a 2018 Odyssey quotes at $659 with in-store service.