GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wing foam...

rickygolf83

Car(s)
Mk7 R,mk2 16v, vr6 m
Took my front wheels to get tyres fitted today (eliminates any jacking dramas at a garage) and before i put them back on thought best to drop the arch liners and investigate/clean behind...
Greeted with loads of mud (as expected) but gathered around a large foam insert going into the wing/door hinge area. Drivers side worse than passengers which was strange....

Rung a good mug full of water out them on both sides....

Read about a superceded part that doesn't act like a sponge but cant see anything conclusive.

Anyone on here done anything with theirs?

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I did a huge mod to mine last year...need to do a write up..

VW on the MK7.5 replaced the part with a plastic end panel which requires you to remove the front doors to fit it.

Unfortunately, the MK7.5 also suffered from more road/wind noise from the front end..... because they removed the foam which acts as a sound deadener in the front wing...

I kept the foam, but cut off the lower 2inches or so to stop it holding water & rusting the lower wing/sill area......I also fitted the MK7.5 plastic end panel..

The downside with the plastic end panel is that you have to get the tabs fully pressed in as if they aren't then there are a couple of small ridges on the end panel which brush against the doors edge when you open/close it..causing the paint to wear!

rickygolf83

Car(s)
Mk7 R,mk2 16v, vr6 m
Thanks, dont suppose you took any pics of the job? 🙂 part number for the 7.5 panel? Solution sounds promising 👍

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks, dont suppose you took any pics of the job? 🙂 part number for the 7.5 panel? Solution sounds promising 👍
Yeah I did take a few photos & have part numbers etc...I'll dig them out later..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part numbers :-

5G0-821-111-C
5G0-821-112-C

Were £16.69 each in late 2021

The door only requires the black plastic over on the retaining grub screws on each hinge to be removed..then undo the grub screw (TX socket) undo the wiring loom connector, undo the door check strap bolt (do this with door half open to push check strap part in other wise you can scrap the paintwork) & lift door up

Important points:-
  • Wind window down fully, this allows you to use door frame to lift
  • Have a helper to guide the door
  • Have blocks of wood & old curtain/padding all set up to place door in upright (normal) position leaning against a wall etc.
  • 23Nm for the grub screws & 30Nm for the door check strap...
  • to undo the wiring loom connector you use a plastic trim remover/blade under the short side edge of the top of the connector & lever the top face of the connector upwards about 10mm. Connector then removes from plug straight out towards the door edge.
  • you need to watch for the door check strap not marking anything & also when lowing the door back onto the hinges you have to watch the bottom edge of the door to not strike the car opening frame/sill...I used heating pipe grey foam with the slit over the door edges & check strap for protection.
  • Stand on the inside face of the door & use the internal door handle as its strong enough!...

To undo & reconnect the wiring loom you have to follow the specified procedure beforehand due to the door being on the airbag safety system:-
  • Battery negative/earth strap must be disconnected with the ignition on (engine off). (Leave key in on position)
  • Minimum wait of 10secs between disconnect & reconnect...not a problem just don't accidently reconnect the terminal when disconnecting!
  • Cover the negative terminal!!
  • Now you can undo the wringing loom connector, do the work & then refit the wiring loom connector..then...
  • Battery negative/earth strap must be re-connected with the ignition on (engine off).
  • Nobody to be near the airbags etc in the car when you reconnect....!!

Here is the foam & trim items next to each other. One of the foam pieces is altered with recesses for the push tabs on the rear of the plastic panel, & also the bottom inch or so removed..

I really need to do a full write up on it!

PA242004-reduced.jpg

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
My 2016 Mk7 already came with those pastic panels instead of foam inserts and yes, it's quite loud on the motorways.