GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windows fogging / moisture

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
HI,

Now the weather is getting colder in the UK the windows are starting to get fogged up overnight and during the day. Someones quite a lot of moisture on the inside of the windscreen.

I presume maybe wet floor mats and wet cargo has caused some moisture in the air of the car.

Any tips to improve the situation? I thought leaving a dehumidifier for a few hours might help?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Front defrost on full blast (with the a/c on ) and no recirc. If that doesn't do it, you've got problems.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
HI,

Now the weather is getting colder in the UK the windows are starting to get fogged up overnight and during the day. Someones quite a lot of moisture on the inside of the windscreen.

I presume maybe wet floor mats and wet cargo has caused some moisture in the air of the car.

Any tips to improve the situation? I thought leaving a dehumidifier for a few hours might help?

RainX anti fog.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
If you’re getting heavy condensation (more than misting) I’d say you probably have a leak somewhere, there’s been some heavy spells of rain over the past week so this could be the cause, my GTi has been steaming up quite a bit recently when I’m using it but no more than the usual misting and not over night.

Wet mats etc could cause it though as you say but once you warm the interior up and clear the glass with the A/C it should go, do you have a sunroof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imteyaz

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5R 2018.
If it's not a leak causing the condensation then it's probably because you've turned the heating up and made it nice and toasty inside, then when you park your car up and with the current UK weather and temp difference between outside and inside the car, it's the perfect recipe for condensation building on windows / windscreens.

Next time, try switching the heating off for the last 2-3 minutes of your drive and crack open a window to bring the temps down a little. This works well for me, I have little to no condensation in my car now.

Another culprit for condensation are wet car mats. If they are wet, let them dry out away from the car before you put them back in.

I can't take any credit for this, I'm simply passing on the knowledge gained from forums similar to this where someone else's advice has proved to be very useful.

Imteyaz.

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have a sunroof, feel around the headliner. The MK7s have a known design problem with the panoramic sunroof.

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
No Sunroof and no water in car.

Cant see any leaks apart from the felt on the rear door weather seals is often wet where it connects to the rear quarter window. (I will take a photo next time)

I also have a lot of trouble cleaning interior windscreens. Never perfect and looks awful when it does fog up with marks. Any recommendations?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Climate control should be always on "Strong" not on recirc as the AC will dry any damp out. Do not store any damp clothes in car as that will cause fogging as will we mats. No need for any additives on the screen as they are not needed just clean with newspaper with white vinegar on and buff with a dry microfibre cloth. Not had any issues with fogging over the last 4 years with that method. ....... All assuming you definitely don't have a leak.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
No Sunroof and no water in car.

Cant see any leaks apart from the felt on the rear door weather seals is often wet where it connects to the rear quarter window. (I will take a photo next time)

I also have a lot of trouble cleaning interior windscreens. Never perfect and looks awful when it does fog up with marks. Any recommendations?

When cleaning glass use a good quality non smear glass cleaner (sparingly) and a scrunched up sheet of (non glossy) news paper, use a new sheet if the first one becomes overly wet. You simply cannot clean glass better any other way, FACT..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk