GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wide tires

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
NooB owner here.......

19' Golf SE.......Planning on buying aftermarket 18x8.5 et42 Rims and 235/40 Continental DWS06.
I know nothing drastic ......been done by hundreds of other owners.....
Can anybody POST PICTURES of this ABOVE Combo ????

Will I most like want to add lowering springs (which brand, which model) as Ive heard/read that
the lowered ride might not be too my liking ?????

Chuck S Auburn,WA

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Will somebody please SHOW ME what 235/40-18 (Continental DWS) Tires on 18x8.5 et45 Wheels
LOOK like on a Mk7 Golf SE (NOT a GTI or R)

I know this is NOT considered "Wide" but still wanting to see what to expect ........

Thanks, Chuck S Auburn,WA

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
This angle probably doesn't help you much, but Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 245/40x18 on 18 x 8.5 ET 45 wheels, stock suspension.

Attachments

• VW on new wheels.jpg
    VW on new wheels.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
Last edited:

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
Anotero, the tires in this size look good on the 8.5" rims. When I first got the wheels, I put the 225/40's on them, and that looked terrible. I ordered tires that same day, had them swapped the next weekend.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
elwood1.......Your Tire/Wheel combo looks Good...........I'm still trying to comprehend, decide
upon using 235/40 or 245/40 (Continental DWS06) 18" Tires on my 2019 Golf SE...

I have VMR710 et45 Wheels & Tires (mounted, balanced, shipped) on order with DiscountTireDirect....
but wheels aren't due to arrive in USA until early/mid April.

Elwood1, Do you have any desire to install (??? brand) lowering springs or you fairly pleased with that
245/40-18 "Look"......Will you post or send more/better angles pics showing how close to flush front
rubber(sidewall) is to fender....I know that back rubber is still "In" a bit ??????

My email is CamarosRus@gmail.com

Chuck S Auburn,WA

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
These are 17 x 8.5 +45 with 245/40 17 RE71R's, which run wide. I have a 1.1" drop on APR springs and I track and autocross the car. No rubbing, but I have Eurosport camber kit in front.
20200207_180725.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not all 265mm tires are the same width and rim width makes a big difference too, so I wouldn't assume whatever tire you choose in that fitment will also work. Just a tip from experience.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Not all 265mm tires are the same width and rim width makes a big difference too, so I wouldn't assume whatever tire you choose in that fitment will also work. Just a tip from experience.
Absolutely, it's just a matter of curiosity, if I'm being honest, there's a company who is doing some pretty sweet MK7 flares that are reminiscent of the OG MK1 flares, and I'll likely go for a set of those, then size some wheels to fit.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My understanding for 265/35 18 in a wide fitment, on a 9" rim and something that runs wide, like most 200tw tires do, is that you need to run coilovers, get the offset right, there's some alignment tweaking necessary, and you may need to loosen the gas tank and shift it a little to clear the filler neck on the GTI, though R doesn't seem to have the same issue.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My understanding for 265/35 18 in a wide fitment, on a 9" rim and something that runs wide, like most 200tw tires do, is that you need to run coilovers, get the offset right, there's some alignment tweaking necessary, and you may need to loosen the gas tank and shift it a little to clear the filler neck on the GTI, though R doesn't seem to have the same issue.

And more camber (plates, mounts and/or control arms)

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Do the tires appear to be narrow for this rim width? I'm contemplating going with 245/40/18, I have 8" wheels.
You can look up the recommended wheel width on Tirerack.com. In looking it indicates that 8" is on the low side, 8" - 9.5" is stated as range.