GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is it so hard to find Unitronic stage 2 owner info

Bawlti

Ready to race!
About the limited data on Uni cars:
My guess is that Uni customers have a more conservative mindset and are less likely to dyno their cars or race them, quarter mile track or otherwise.

That's exactly my guess too. I'm one of these. My GTI is the heaviest model (4 doors, DSG, PP, fully loaded) and I run 4 seasons tires (Michelin A/S3+, which are great anywhere else than on the drag stip). Uni ECU/TCU stage 2 combo is great and the power is good, but my car is not drag/dyno optimized.

signkutter

Ready to race!
i planned ongoing Stratified(cobb accessport) but for the ease of tuning (no logging) i went unitronic. Also they are almost local so if i ever needed support i was pretty close.

Currently stage 2 with them. I plan on getting their DSG tune as well. Love the power , very linear. The power delivery is much more fun than my stage 2 focus ST.

here's a little video done on a private road. As you can see, the stock tire are no match... gotta think about wheels and tire too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RUBVujb2Y

Damn....that's exactly what I am looking for in this car, the power delivery is perfect. I am not a drag racer or otherwise...I want passing power, where i live there are many two lane country highways...passing power is a must.

signkutter

Ready to race!
On the contrary, I chose Unitronic over APR and ED, after months of exhaustive research finding countless cases of APR and ED issues. Not to feed the trolls or start a tuner war, but I wanted something that I knew would a actually work and not blow up my expensive new car. Note that I ran a Stage 2 APR mk6 GTI for ~70k miles, before buying my mk7.

The fringe Uni cases that you are references are the exception to the rule, and you can see Uni representatives actively supporting, until the issues are worked out. I emailed APR in the past, without response. I understand ED is notorious for lack of customer service. Unitronic responded immediately.

You will always have cases of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side, so of course people will entertain the idea of a few more horses and significant torque increases. This is human nature.

I, personally, would rather still have a crazy fast car (currently Uni 1+, going to Stage 2 in a matter of days), without the frustration of awkward power delivery (APR on my mk6 and stories of more of the same on mk7), blown turbos (APR & ED), and weird glitches (ED). (I almost went JB4, since George is the best customer rep out there. Maybe I will stack in the future.)

About the limited data on Uni cars:
My guess is that Uni customers have a more conservative mindset and are less likely to dyno their cars or race them, quarter mile track or otherwise.

TL;DR
Uni just works and feels like a normal car that will shred your socks off. Unitronic drivers with conservative mentality are less likely to dyno and/or take their cars to the strip.

Great info...cant wait to get this UNI stage 2 in the car. Took off my JB1 about 3 months ago so I am going from stock butt dyno straight to stage 2 UNI...should be a blast

signkutter

Ready to race!
Stage 2 Unitronic installed. Gotta say it feels alot less punchy than the JB 1 down low and just as much power midway and.pulls better at 80mph and up. This is all gaged by butt-dyno..so know that is as unscientific as taking a spirit level on a plane to prove the earth is flat.

Happy over all....but I think I would have been just as happy with the Stage1+ and saved $950 on the dp.

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
Stage 2 is great, you feel a lot the torque that was not apparent in the stage 1 file.

Last night I was driving my mk6 GTI(stage 2 APR, intake, S3 IC) and my wife was driving my MK7 (UNI stage 2, Turboback, Intake) and ran away from me. The Stage 2 definitely pulls a lot better than stage 1 and 337hp is believable.

signkutter

Ready to race!
Stage 2 is great, you feel a lot the torque that was not apparent in the stage 1 file.

Last night I was driving my mk6 GTI(stage 2 APR, intake, S3 IC) and my wife was driving my MK7 (UNI stage 2, Turboback, Intake) and ran away from me. The Stage 2 definitely pulls a lot better than stage 1 and 337hp is believable.

Yep, definitely pulls better at higher speed. I am very happy with the performance of the stage 2...but when I look at the stage1+ hp and torque dyno...can't help but wonder if the stage 2 is worth $1k more.

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
Yep, definitely pulls better at higher speed. I am very happy with the performance of the stage 2...but when I look at the stage1+ hp and torque dyno...can't help but wonder if the stage 2 is worth $1k more.

I bought a CTS downpipe (catted) and upgraded both ECU and TCU flashes - came to $650 if you do the work yourself, add another $100 for an install. I definitely felt it was money well spent, car is much more alive even when adapting than it was in stage 1+. Opening up the downpipe does a great job of letting the car be as it should be

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My car made 216whp (SAE) bone stock, and 303whp (also SAE) in identical conditions with Uni S2 ECU/TCU, DP, drop in and CTS inlet.

That's over a 40% increase for less than $2K, total including TCU software which obviously doesn't add power.

You didn't have to spend $950 on a DP.

I bought a CTS downpipe (catted) and upgraded both ECU and TCU flashes - came to $650 if you do the work yourself, add another $100 for an install. I definitely felt it was money well spent, car is much more alive even when adapting than it was in stage 1+. Opening up the downpipe does a great job of letting the car be as it should be

It's great to hear that you think Stage 2 ECU tune is worth it, since I'm about to be stage 2, this month. Do you have any regrets on choosing the CTS catted downpipe? How is the sound vs stock? I want the performance benefits of a downpipe, without sounding obnoxious.

Also, how does the Stage 2 TCU tune compare to Stage 1?

Last edited:

signkutter

Ready to race!
My car made 216whp (SAE) bone stock, and 303whp (also SAE) in identical conditions with Uni S2 ECU/TCU, DP, drop in and CTS inlet.

That's over a 40% increase for less than $2K, total including TCU software which obviously doesn't add power.

You didn't have to spend $950 on a DP.

I didn't have to ...but added CEL precaution seemed worth $300. Plus I have never read a,bad review of the AWE catted DP.

signkutter

Ready to race!

Good to hear , I remember being a bit disappointed with the JB1 /DP combo ...seemed like it took power down low but this stage 2 flash changed that. Car has perked up even more after driving it a few hundred miles.

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
It's great to hear that you think Stage 2 ECU tune is worth it, since I'm about to be stage 2, this month. Do you have any regrets on choosing the CTS catted downpipe? How is the sound vs stock? I want the performance benefits of a downpipe, without sounding obnoxious.

Also, how does the Stage 2 TCU tune compare to Stage 1?

The CTS downpipe allows the car to have better boost response than stage 1. By itself it is great, combined with my Magnaflow cutback and it caused a noticeable drone around 2,000-2,400 rpm when I lightly apply the throttle. If the Magnaflow had not been installed before I bought the car I think it would have been better to stay stock cutback for civility. Seriously considering swapping it out with something a lot quieter.

The CTS downpipe allows the car to have better boost response than stage 1. By itself it is great, combined with my Magnaflow cutback and it caused a noticeable drone around 2,000-2,400 rpm when I lightly apply the throttle. If the Magnaflow had not been installed before I bought the car I think it would have been better to stay stock cutback for civility. Seriously considering swapping it out with something a lot quieter.

I have a few days with my downpipe installed and finally flashed Stage 2 Unitronic.

All I can say is "WOW."

I feel like any more power would be a waste, since I am getting wheelspin in the dry, with great summer tires. Uni 1+ is enough power for the FWD GTI, if I'm being honest (wheelspin is minimal with good tires), but Stage 2 throttle response is just right, and the extra power feels great when merging, so no regrets.

Overall, Stage 2 is amazing and even bordering on too much power for FWD, in my [possibly heretical] opinion. With how linear the power comes on with Unitronic, I am glad I didn't go with a higher torque tune; 370 lb/ft is plenty.

Last edited: