GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why I stopped worrying about the Infotainment screen on the 2015 Golf R

Optical TDI

Agree with the OP. I'm in my 40s and have an S2000 as a third car. Do I miss any of the new car tech it doesn't have? No. Also about nav, how often do most people go somewhere they need a map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosted_2.0

Ready to race!
As much as I don't care about the Nav screen size, it's more that the 5.8" feels slow. If I didn't already have experience using one to the point of it being normal in the GTI, it would be fine so take my views with a grain of salt. In isolation the 5.8" is cool, way better than the Mk6's system. OTOH
CarPlay isn't any more fancy than the current 5.8" and probably operates without a cell phone If need-be.
The future is here, let this be your enemy
Being attached to which model carplay either being android or iPhone hurts the cat for resale and the owner for not able to switch to android from iPhone or the other way around. Also hurts resale because if the owner has an android and the car has iphone car play, they are screwed. Reason why I like the one currently, either work.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4.

puch0021

Being attached to which model carplay either being android or iPhone hurts the cat for resale and the owner for not able to switch to android from iPhone or the other way around. Also hurts resale because if the owner has an android and the car has iphone car play, they are screwed. Reason why I like the one currently, either work.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4.
The new system works with either I thought

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
What if you forget your phone? Will this mean we need to pay a monthly data fee for the service?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The new system has built-in navigation and doesn't require cellular service to operate -- no phone required.

The big advantage is that the LCD can mirror the contents of an iOS or Android device, and be used for input as well. If you want to use Pandora or Spotify and pipe the sound through the car's speakers, use the larger screen for Waze navigation and text input, you can.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The new MIB II 6.5" head unit will also have 4x the screen resolution and approx 2.5x the CPU power of the current model. Those are much more important factors than the screen size bump, IMHO.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
The new MIB II 6.5" head unit will also have 4x the screen resolution and approx 2.5x the CPU power of the current model. Those are much more important factors than the screen size bump, IMHO.

This

CarlsbadMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
For me, I would LOVE the larger screen since I frequently use the built-in navigation, not to mention bluetooth audio streaming and bluetooth phone connectivity. I am interacting with the screen frequently, and a larger screen would make that much easier/safer.

To each his, own, but for me, bigger is unquestionably better, and often comes with better performance as mentioned above,,,

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I spend most of my time looking out the windshield anyway.

All of this stuff is cool, but I guess when you're as old as I am - it's all just gadgets.
I'm happy to have them, but most of my experience with cars consisted of not having these things.

The Goat

Ready to race!
Gotta have Bluetooth connection for phone, it's a business necessity and really a safety one too. Sounds like the 2015 R does not have but the 2016 R will??

nikhsub11

Banned
Gotta have Bluetooth connection for phone, it's a business necessity and really a safety one too. Sounds like the 2015 R does not have but the 2016 R will??

Are you kidding? My 2008 R had bluetooth connectivity. The 2015 absolutely has BT... for voice and audio streaming.

I could get 2 shits about a better head unit. As long as I have BT and Fender, that's all I need. CarPlay sucks and I will have my phone mounted next to my radio anyway like I do now.