GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why 6 Speed DSG?

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Hi

for fun i just spec'd up a Polo GT, to see what the price would be with all the extras required to match the Golf.

while it came out at staggering 21k i noticed it came with the option for either the manual gearbox or DSG 7 Speed.

why can i get the 7 speed DSG in the polo, but if i buy the latest flagship VW brand "Golf" i get the older less efficient, worse emissions 6speed DSG?

Was it a money thing? Did VW blow the budget on the MQB platform and standard extras? Were then not confident or longevity of the 7 speed.

any ideas or thoughts on why they produced this new car and new platform with the potentially older 6 speed? Or am i missing something?

Evil Dan

Ready to race!
Hi

for fun i just spec'd up a Polo GT, to see what the price would be with all the extras required to match the Golf.

while it came out at staggering 21k i noticed it came with the option for either the manual gearbox or DSG 7 Speed.

why can i get the 7 speed DSG in the polo, but if i buy the latest flagship VW brand "Golf" i get the older less efficient, worse emissions 6speed DSG?

Was it a money thing? Did VW blow the budget on the MQB platform and standard extras? Were then not confident or longevity of the 7 speed.

any ideas or thoughts on why they produced this new car and new platform with the potentially older 6 speed? Or am i missing something?

All the Mk7 Golf petrol DSG cars come with a new dry 7 speed gearbox, except the GTI and R. The 2.0 diesels come with a wet 6 speed DSG gearbox - probably as it is better matched. Only the 1.6 diesel comes with a 7 speed gearbox. The Polo GT is petrol only so it has the same 7 speed DSG found in the Golf.

I think the 7 speed gearbox is for low torque engines which is why the higher powered cars don't use it.

mittenz

Ready to race!
DSG

DQ200 - 7 Speed Dry
DQ250 - 6 Speed Wet

The 7 speed was designed for economy and is far more efficient - up to 1.6k/100km but it cannot take anymore than the manufactured 250nm of torque tolerance. The DQ250 and DQ500 (wet) are able to absorb far more energy and are lower tech - these are the choice transmissions for performance / diesel engines due to the limitations of the 7 speed.

If you want the details specs of the DQ-line you can go on Borg Warner's website as they produced them for VW/Kia/Ford/Hyundai etc..

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
thanks very much for the info. The reason i asked was due to friends buying 7 speed autos recently and although i was at one point considering the DSG I decided to go for the manual. But i wondered if we were being short changed, not that 7 speed is a numbers game, but curious

friend new cars:
A250 AMG sport 7 speed auto
M135i 7 speed auto

mittenz

Ready to race!
Depends entirely on the cars power band... both the cars you listed don't peak torque as low as a GTI does, there is little benefit in a 7 speed for the TSI engine. The 135i (I had one) has a ridiculous amount of turbo lag and I believe the new 2/4 series are using an 8 speed transmission now to better handle that range.

This argument could go on forever without any exact reason:
Limitations
Costs
Requirements