GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who here really has cooling figured out for the Mk7?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
No thanks. What is wrong about wanting a coolant gauge that actually reacts to changing coolant temperatures? All the cars I've owned had that.
Have they though? I think even my 89 CRX Si had a dumbed down one. Four BMW's, a Miata, three Audis and a couple of GTI's, not one of them had a truly analog coolant gauge. Fact is that oil temps drive up coolant temp, so if you can monitor oil temps, you'll be better off. One of the reasons I'd prefer to do a proper oil cooler before tackling a larger radiator. Keep the oil cool and your coolant won't be an issue.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have they though? I think even my 89 CRX Si had a dumbed down one. Four BMW's, a Miata, three Audis and a couple of GTI's, not one of them had a truly analog coolant gauge. Fact is that oil temps drive up coolant temp, so if you can monitor oil temps, you'll be better off. One of the reasons I'd prefer to do a proper oil cooler before tackling a larger radiator. Keep the oil cool and your coolant won't be an issue.

I'll only mention my last car a Veloster turbo but it had a coolant gauge that would go up when it was hotter than normal. For a few weeks I had a problem with it starting to overheat and it ended up being a very small leak that didn't drip any coolant when hot but would suck air into the system when it sat overnight. That car didn't show the oil temp so I had to rely on the coolant gauge.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
What about the digital gauge on my infotainment center, I assume it is accurate along with the oil temp. I guess maybe some older years don't have that option.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What about the digital gauge on my infotainment center, I assume it is accurate along with the oil temp. I guess maybe some older years don't have that option.

No digital coolant gauge on my 18.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
No digital coolant gauge on my 18.
Just thinking this through, but isn't it going to be roughly the same until the thermostat is unable to keep up? Then once the oil temp has been high enough and thermal transfer is higher than the thermostat can keep up with, things will all go horribly wrong? Just thinking that there's really no such thing as "a little warm" just okay and not okay. Clearly a larger, more efficient radiator will add thermal capacity, but I'm still thinking that an external oil cooler will have a larger, more noticeable impact. Dont' R's have an oil cooler stock? Guess I need to look at their parts diagram and see if I can just route one of those.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Swipe up or down on any of the three gauges until it cycles to the coolant gauge.

Digital gauge mirrors what is on the dash as Mud stated
Thanks for this, hadn't really messed with the settings in this and didn't realize it was so flexible. Nice to have oil and coolant temp shown together. Seems to confirm that as long as the thermostat can keep up, coolant temps is nearly steady, but oil temp responds pretty directly to driving manner.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I have followed a few builds and read about different approaches to cure the
the achilles heel of the MK7... cooling. But the solutions are all over the place
and since the car has so many cooling problems, maybe it's time to start a thread just about that.
And if there is one already then laugh hard now and show me where it is! 🤣
If not then who here thinks they have cooling this vacuum cleaner of a motor
as much as possible for daily driving with some aggressive every now and then and an occasional track
day? All cars vary so I would like to hear where you started, where you ended up,
and which components you replaced. It would also be great to hear tips you
learned along the way.
Interesting!
I have also wondered having driven long distances during 115 desert heat, sometimes loaded with luggage and files etc on business trips.
So far no problems here just keep an eye on water and oil temps on a long grade.
About to take along trip towing a relatively light trailer, and note that "the EU factory tow harness ties into ECU" to do a couple things, including "extending cooling times".

US tow wiring harnesses sold on e-trailer DONT tie into ECS so I wonder if there is a way to separately access that function using VCDS, OBD11 or Carista- "longer cooling option ON".
Any coding gurus happen to know?

Navi

Autocross Champion

It's not accurate at all

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's not accurate at all

I had that screen on all day today and it was 108 degrees ambient and the digital coolant temp said 194 degrees continually but the oil temp fluctuated.