Ready to race!
Long Term before departure

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 2,419

GC854

Ready to race!
Sunset in Border Country. Busy roads.... not. I departed Aberdeen at around 1430 and reached this point after 1700

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,459
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,406

GC854

Ready to race!
And the computer says...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,374

GC854

Ready to race!
Just nipped out to the car and took this shot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 2,360

WotNo

Passed Driver's Ed
Good write-up GC. See your departure was from Union Square - had you just been to Hobbycraft? I used to live in Aberdeen but am now in the Borders region. Like you I do a fair amount of north/south driving and moved further south to get a 150-mile head-start over Aberdeen. For sure the M74 or the A1 are the fastest routes south, but its always nice if you have time on your hands to try the A68, or the A7, or the A702, or the A701 .. but maybe not so nice in the tourist infested summer!

GC854

Ready to race!
Well spotted WotNo. Yep it was certainly Union Sq but thankfully I avoided Hobbycraft. Maybe i should point out I only stopped there to catch the Orkney sign in background I didn't leave it in a disabled slot! Lucky man to live in the Border region - at least until the tourists arrive. I think I will use this route more frequently until they do because I just couldn't stop smiling as I drove it in fact I was laughing out loud at times. Its been a long time since any car made me do that!!

WjW555GTD

GTD purchased October 2013 Fuel consumption issues

My new GTD is giving very disappointIng fuel consumption figures and I wonder if other owners of MKVII GTD's are having similar problems?
It seems normal driving returns between 45-47 mpg in non urban open road and dual carriageway driving. The official Combined figure is 67.3, so I consider this way lower than I would expect.
The car is at present back at VW Technical and even they cannot manage more than 49.7, around 36% below the official figure. My MK VI GTD had an official combined figure of 53.7 yet returned between 54-57 mpg consistently. I expected the new GTD to reflect the improvement in line with the MK VII's lighter weight and the official improvement of 14 mpg. VW suggested the consumption would improve after about 8,000 miles but it has not. It is actually around 10-15% worse than the MK VI.
Am I alone in encountering this problem?

GC854

Ready to race!
My new GTD is giving very disappointIng fuel consumption figures and I wonder if other owners of MKVII GTD's are having similar problems?
It seems normal driving returns between 45-47 mpg in non urban open road and dual carriageway driving. The official Combined figure is 67.3, so I consider this way lower than I would expect.
The car is at present back at VW Technical and even they cannot manage more than 49.7, around 36% below the official figure. My MK VI GTD had an official combined figure of 53.7 yet returned between 54-57 mpg consistently. I expected the new GTD to reflect the improvement in line with the MK VII's lighter weight and the official improvement of 14 mpg. VW suggested the consumption would improve after about 8,000 miles but it has not. It is actually around 10-15% worse than the MK VI.

You are certainly not alone! The forum has a thread dedicated to fuel economy. Interestingly 'What Car' magazine has a 'True MPG' section for all the cars it tests. The Golf GTD does not feature yet although in a shoot out test with the Leon FR and Volvo V40 the magazine claimed a figure in the high forties. They do have figures for the 1.6 diesels and you can access them at http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg The webpage allows you to input your driving habits. Apparently if I owned a 1.6SE Bluemotion I would expect to get 52mpg. So I do not feel too shortchanged at the MPG I am getting with my GTD

GC854

Ready to race!
Brilliant, love all the details :D I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Cheers Knight. It will be along shortly. I have just enjoyed a pleasant 40 mile round drive to the city of Lincoln - as a passenger. My wife insisted on driving. This is something she has never done before in our 30yrs of marriage, She loved the torque of the Golf

GC854

Ready to race!
First Proper Wash

:) Today the weather has been great and this was the first real opportunity to wash the car. However, reading this forum is obviously dangerous to your emotional health because for the first time ever I have snow foamed a car before washing. Truth be told I had never heard of snow foam and other detailing niceties before reading the forum. Glad to report that it makes a difference - I really appreciated the difference it made. However having a white car does have its drawbacks. The depth of shine is limited and when you get spots of tar stuck to the lower bodywork they do stand out. Can anyone recommend a good product for this? Gtechniq products get rave reviews on this forum. Would i be correct in assuming that the company's P1 would be what I need to get. Pictures of first wash coming up.

GC854

Ready to race!
Snow-Foamed to start

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,194

GC854

Ready to race!
A nice clean car. These Santiagos are going to be awkward in the coming months. Bought a new Autoglym wheel brush and it did get into the tight spaces very well. However the design of these wheels is not wash friendly!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,194

Gignomeus

Ready to race!

Done ~5500 in my GTD now, been at 47-48mpg since I got it in January, but last week I got 50.4mpg, and I think when I refill tomorrow it will be ~50mpg, think this is more to do with the weather than the car becoming more efficient. The gearing (DSG) seems to be less geared :rolleyes: towards economy than my Mk6 2.0 TDI was: think its geared better towards being a GTD.

GTD == car for people who want fun but aren't quite ready to accept all the costs that that entails.

Compare your GTD with a GTi, it might not be the closest comparison, but it's the most 'correct' comparison.

GC854

Ready to race!
GTD == car for people who want fun but aren't quite ready to accept all the costs that that entails.
You are so right Gignomeus. My last car was a Skoda - Greenline edition. ie designed for economy. The challenge, I quite enjoyed, was to see how many miles I could squeeze from every gallon. The GTD is a completely different animal and I drive it to maximise its performance. Real world performance is awesome but of course performance = high fuel use. However I think mpg figures in the high 40s are great for a car that encourages you to access the performance it has to offer. Yes the GTi offers even more performance but I think Gignomeus is spot on recommending comparison with it. The GTi was not an option for me as a company car driver as the company would not pay the higher running costs (fuel and tax). Every time I get in my car though I can't stop smiling -- priceless:)