GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whine in 4th? MT 60K

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
This may not be anything... I've noted that the manual transmission my 2017 SE with 60,000 miles has a very slight whine in 4th gear only. Just noticeable with the stereo off, but not obnoxious. I have to change the oil in my Haldex, so I checked, and the transmission fluid is different from that, so it would have no effect. (I thought other FWD cars without a Haldex shared diff fluid with the tranny, but I dunno.)
The noise is somewhat louder than the whine from my tires, while in 3rd or 5th the tires are all I hear. If this is normal, no big deal. Am I maybe low on fluid? But, while checking on the fluid change intervals, I found the manual trans fluid has no interval from the factory, but DAP recommends every 70,000. If I did change my tranny fluid, which brand? I'd need to preserve the cold-weather performance, this is a daily driver as well as autocross.
On the other hand, I had 90,000 miles on my last GTI with no issues. I don't remember if 4th was slightly noisy or not...

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I think its normal, there is a lot of threads like this and the conclusion is usually that... My gearing is different but its very noticeable for me at around 2k rpm in 2nd gear... its a faint, but it is a straight-cut like sound.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
After 1st, 4th is my loudest gear. Has a little bit of a whine to it. I hear absolutely everything due to the 90A poly BFI mounts. Been that way since I had the mounts swapped 40k miles ago.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Dude my car whines like straight cut gears in every gear. New axles, new lube, new fluids (trans and diff, diff usually every 10k), new hardware, etc. same noise still.

I have just lived with it and honestly it’s just a noise, but I haven’t noticed any negative effects. I’m at 75k.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Just want too add... this week I paid more attention to the sound... its loudest and easily noticeable at around 2k rpm in 2nd, especially when its at a constant speed or slightly speeding up/slowing down.... Literally a straight cut gear like sound.

But I am now thinking it does it in any gear and any rpm lol.... There is a lot of turbo/DV noises in 1st... but it can still be heard a bit, higher gears I think it gets muffled by the tire noise....
And it does it below or above 2k rpm too but the engine noises again muffle it after 2k rpm... below it, it gets too faint, but its there...