GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which year GTI's have the newer 2.0T TSI engine?

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
Here in SA we only got the EA888 CCZ engine in the Mk6, so 2009+, but in the USA I believe they started getting them in Mk5 GTI's so 2008 models. Not 100% sure about the UK, but I suspect some 2008 Mk5 GTI's also had the engine over there.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Here in SA we only got the EA888 CCZ engine in the Mk6, so 2009+, but in the USA I believe they started getting them in Mk5 GTI's so 2008 models. Not 100% sure about the UK, but I suspect some 2008 Mk5 GTI's also had the engine over there.

He's asking when we'll get the updated TSI engine that will be standard in the MK7. Similar to how the mkV got the TSI engine in the 2008.5 model year.

I believe the MK6 platform will be udated with the next generation engine beginning with the 2014 models as the MK7 platform is suppose to land in NA beginning with the 2015 model year.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You'll probably start to see 2013 models trickle in with 2014's being the change point.

IF......they're planning to do that.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
They're still making the TSI for the Tiguan aren't they?

Which TSI? EA888v1 or EA888v2?

My guess is....anything coming out of Mexico right now is getting V2.

Merkle

Banned
Wait, what version do we have? V.1?
Is the V.2 with VVT on the Exhaust side, the 201hp/258tq. engine?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Well...technically....

Gen 1 is the EA113 engine.
Gen 2 is the V1 EA888 engine with chain drive, better head flow, better internals, better PCV, smaller turbo, better efficiency
Gen 3 is the V2 EA888 engine with integrated cooling jacket, rotary slide coolant pump, better thermal management, VVL, better head flow, better efficiency, etc. etc.

However, Gen 3 has more "feature driven" items such as VVL, rotary slide, etc. Those can come and go as they please, but the main driver is the integrated cooling jacket.

Merkle

Banned
Well...technically....

Gen 1 is the EA113 engine.
Gen 2 is the V1 EA888 engine with chain drive, better head flow, better internals, better PCV, smaller turbo, better efficiency
Gen 3 is the V2 EA888 engine with integrated cooling jacket, rotary slide coolant pump, better thermal management, VVL, better head flow, better efficiency, etc. etc.

However, Gen 3 has more "feature driven" items such as VVL, rotary slide, etc. Those can come and go as they please, but the main driver is the integrated cooling jacket.

I just realized I know oh so little....

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
LOL I was going to say the same thing. Thank's for keeping us in check. Makes sense Grams would know about this.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
The 13.5 GLI here has the 3rd gen...we obviously won't see an mk6 gti with that motor

Just jumped on the VW site and noticed the GLI says 210hp now, but why no bump in TQ? Thought gen 3 had 250 something.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just jumped on the VW site and noticed the GLI says 210hp now, but why no bump in TQ? Thought gen 3 had 250 something.

Again, the Gen 3 is feature driven, meaning its an all new engine etc. etc., but it doesnt have VVL which is a direct indication of the torque numbers.

Just look at the same EA888 engine that we currently have, the VVL was added to some Audi models and BOOM, insta torque.