Votes: 27 90.0%
  • JB4

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
It's a VW warranty. All warranty claims work just like your brand new car warranty. Dealership provides the info to VW and VW gives the yay/nay on covering it.

What the dealership has explained to me is they have multiple modded cars with tunes that have successfully had powertrain components replaced under warranty. In part, that is because VW relies on the dealership to note if the vehicle appeared to have been abused or not. Despite what many people say, VW doesn't leave warranty approval "up to a computer." The decision is made by a person and dealerships have some influence on that decision. That doesn't mean a dealership can guarantee warranty coverage if you're tuned, but if they're friendly to the mod, they can help.
Got it. They know it's tuned. I'd happily run the APR at this point. You've got nothing to lose.

cb1111

It's a VW warranty. All warranty claims work just like your brand new car warranty. Dealership provides the info to VW and VW gives the yay/nay on covering it.

What the dealership has explained to me is they have multiple modded cars with tunes that have successfully had powertrain components replaced under warranty. In part, that is because VW relies on the dealership to note if the vehicle appeared to have been abused or not. Despite what many people say, VW doesn't leave warranty approval "up to a computer." The decision is made by a person and dealerships have some influence on that decision. That doesn't mean a dealership can guarantee warranty coverage if you're tuned, but if they're friendly to the mod, they can help.
Not quite. The decision - if it is requires a scan - is done by VW Germany and there are many cases (generally when the failure typically only happens when a car is tuned) where VW will want the parts back to determine what caused the failure.

The dealer is blowing smoke, but the dealer has some discression on some repairs if they want - especially if they can get away with not scanning the car.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not quite. The decision - if it is requires a scan - is done by VW Germany and there are many cases (generally when the failure typically only happens when a car is tuned) where VW will want the parts back to determine what caused the failure.

The dealer is blowing smoke, but the dealer has some discression on some repairs if they want - especially if they can get away with not scanning the car.
I don’t think what you said goes against what the dealer told me. Sounds pretty much in line with what I’ve been told.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So JB4 yeah? 😆

E540E80F-596B-4BBA-A67A-D26BE885F159.jpeg

Mr.BearCop

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 SE GTI
Just go full send. You’ll probably end up there anyway.
It is what happened to me. I danced with the idea of more power even though I had 3 years of warranty and 1 year CPO warranty. . Even bought a JB4 and wanted to go that route. For me once I saw how the JB4 was routed, I had to raise my car to get to the bottom plug to remove each time and per Burger Motorsports " While JB4 strategies for fuel and ignition control vary by platform -" I was out. I did not want my car to run harder on things or put added stress on parts that it did not have to. I wanted the ECU tables from the flash tune to control the fuel and ignition timing properly as the JB4 is basically a hack for the ECU. I tricks the ECU to send more boost and there are things it can not adjust properly for. The APR tune will adjust more tables properly such as sending the right ignition and fuel timing. I have seen a lot of forums where fuel pressure is an issue with the JB4. Also per Burger Motorsports " a few things the JB4 just can't do including changing fuel injection timing raising the RPM limiter, adjusting valve timing, raising the speed limiter." These were all must haves for me. Also the fact that the auto start and stop gets re-programed to always on with the APR Tune is another must have. With the TCU tune I am able to get more clamping power on my 6 speed DSG so the extra horsepower is accounted for when changing gears. I have launch control now with better shifts. Another must have is I can see what gear I am at all times, not just drive mode. This is super helpful and damn right practical when I want to get around cars on the freeway , I just down shift into the right gear and pass.

Fun Factors of Tune
1. My car now. I am in it for the long hall and made a decision to keep the car because I love it. I am now in a committed relationship, totally connected to my car. If anything happens I will assume responsibility. TD1, power train etc.
2. Getting thrown back in my seat each time the car hits at a specific RPM exactly with perfect shifting Timing with the DSG Tune
3. Hitting the gas on a straight away around town and hearing my girlfriend shout while her glasses fall off her head ( doesn't know I re-tuned) sounds trivial ? Maybe, just feels right knowing I have power on tap. I do not drive slow because of the power you see, I drive spirited and when I do it pulls very hard and gets that smile on your face or laugh.
4. You are not going to be tire hopping all day or tire spin, you are not mashing the pedal at full throttle always at every given second and honestly I was getting this at times without the tune, it is just the nature of the beast with FWD period.
5. Satisfying feeling that this car should have came like this from the dealership and I have R level or even slightly more HP and Torque - I went with APR Stage 1 High Torque 316 HP/340 Lb
Torque.

This is my experience, good luck on your journey.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form knocking on the JB4. There are a lot of users and many top motorists using this platform that win races. This is strictly based on my use case , wants and experience alone.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It is what happened to me. I danced with the idea of more power even though I had 3 years of warranty and 1 year CPO warranty. . Even bought a JB4 and wanted to go that route. For me once I saw how the JB4 was routed, I had to raise my car to get to the bottom plug to remove each time and per Burger Motorsports " While JB4 strategies for fuel and ignition control vary by platform -" I was out. I did not want my car to run harder on things it did not have and wanted the ECU tables from the flash tune to control the fuel and ignition timing properly as the JB4 is basically a hack for the ECU in tricking it to send more boost there are things it can not adjust properly. The APR tune will adjust more tables properly such as sending the right ignition and fuel timing. I have seen a lot of forums where fuel pressure is an issue with the JB4. Also per Burger Motorsports " a few things the JB4 just can't do including changing fuel injection timing raising the RPM limiter, adjusting valve timing, raising the speed limiter." These were all must haves for me. Also the fact that the auto start and stop gets programed to on all the time with the APR Tune is another must have. With the TCU tune I am able to get more clamping power on my 6 speed DSG so the extra horsepower is accounted for when changing gears. I have launch control now and better shifts. Another must have is I can see what gear I am at all times, not just drive mode. This is super helpful and damn right practical when I want to get around cars on the freeway , I just down shift into the right gear and pass.

Fun Factors of Tune
1. My car now. I am in it for the long hall and made a decision to keep the car because I love it. I am now in a committed relationship, totally connected to my car. If anything happens I will assume responsibility. TD1, power train etc.
2. Getting thrown back in my seat each time the car hits at a specific RPM exactly with perfect shifting Timing with the DSG Tune
3. Hitting the gas on a straight away around town and hearing my girlfriend shout while her glasses fall off her head ( doesn't know I re-tuned) sounds trivial ? Maybe, just feels right knowing I have power on tap. I do not drive slow because of the power you see, I drive spirited and when I do it pulls very hard and gets that smile on your face or laugh.
4. You are not going to be tire hopping all day or tire spin, you are not mashing the pedal at full throttle always at every given second and honestly I was getting this at times without the tune, it is just the nature of the beast with FWD period.
5. Satisfying feeling that this car should have came like this from the dealership and I have R level or even slightly more HP and Torque - I went with APR Stage 1 High Torque 316 HP/340 Lb
Torque.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form knocking on the JB4. There are a lot of users and many top motorists using this platform that win races. This is strictly based on my use case , wants and experience alone.
Thank you for your reply!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Same thing I tell everyone: CAI and Catback

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I honestly won’t. I’m an old fart. I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole.

LOL..

That's what I said (thought)!

At 54 I had both knees replaced, and had a lowered built 6 spd mk6 GTI. Was getting too hard to climb in and out of, so I said to myself I'm done with this. Sold the GTI and bought a brand new 2017 Alltrack and told myself I wasn't going to touch it. I'm 58 now..... See mods..

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It is what happened to me. I danced with the idea of more power even though I had 3 years of warranty and 1 year CPO warranty. . Even bought a JB4 and wanted to go that route. For me once I saw how the JB4 was routed, I had to raise my car to get to the bottom plug to remove each time and per Burger Motorsports " While JB4 strategies for fuel and ignition control vary by platform -" I was out. I did not want my car to run harder on things it did not have and wanted the ECU tables from the flash tune to control the fuel and ignition timing properly as the JB4 is basically a hack for the ECU in tricking it to send more boost there are things it can not adjust properly. The APR tune will adjust more tables properly such as sending the right ignition and fuel timing. I have seen a lot of forums where fuel pressure is an issue with the JB4. Also per Burger Motorsports " a few things the JB4 just can't do including changing fuel injection timing raising the RPM limiter, adjusting valve timing, raising the speed limiter." These were all must haves for me. Also the fact that the auto start and stop gets programed to on all the time with the APR Tune is another must have. With the TCU tune I am able to get more clamping power on my 6 speed DSG so the extra horsepower is accounted for when changing gears. I have launch control now and better shifts. Another must have is I can see what gear I am at all times, not just drive mode. This is super helpful and damn right practical when I want to get around cars on the freeway , I just down shift into the right gear and pass.

Fun Factors of Tune
Torque.

Scaring the ladies is definitely worth it. 😄