GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Tune???

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Bakz as others have mentioned this is a huge rabbit hole that will need a lot of research. It will be easier to pick if you know the difference between different types of performance tune products. I wrote up something here that gives a high level overview on the tuning process and the options available. https://www.carworklog.com/2017/01/01/tuning-your-mk7-volkswagen-gti/

I dont go into specific tuners much more the "types" of tunes available.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
So my MK7 GTI Performance is now a year old, thinking its time to upgrade a few areas.

Piggyback unless you can afford the hit of a void warranty as if if flashed to stock they can easily tell. You still have 2 years left of it and allot can happen in that time.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
This is what Cobb told me when I asked them about the Flash Counter.

"Hey there! Upon Uninstall, the flash counter will be returned to whatever it was before you installed the Accessport.

Marshall@COBB"

Doesn't sound like he said it is undetectable at all.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't sound like he said it is undetectable at all.

Lol I didn't say he did. I'm just passing on what Cobb said about the flash counter. My flash counter prior to Cobb install was 0. So maybe it stays 0 once unmarried? Who knoes..

Perry01

Ready to race!
Lol I didn't say he did. I'm just passing on what Cobb said about the flash counter. My flash counter prior to Cobb install was 0. So maybe it stays 0 once unmarried? Who knoes..

If you have VCDS, it's you'll know in minutes. You can read how many flashes you've had to your ECU.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Any tuner worth their salt can set the observable value back to 0 or 1 for the flash count. There are traces deeper in the ECU that are detectable by deep diving the ECU, which is done on some high-cost or abormal warranty procedures. No flash tune is undetectable, period.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Any tuner worth their salt can set the observable value back to 0 or 1 for the flash count. There are traces deeper in the ECU that are detectable by deep diving the ECU, which is done on some high-cost or abormal warranty procedures. No flash tune is undetectable, period.

Take this with a grain of salt, as this is what I heard based on third party hypothetical logic (Bro science).

When you first install the Cobb AP, it takes a snapshot of the ECU parameters (Flash counter etc). Once unmarried the snap shot is pasted back onto the ECU as if you had not flashed at all. Parameters are reset to what they read prior to marrying the Cobb. On a hypothetical assumption, this would hide all the increased tuning parameters, such as boost, timing etc). which is why it takes 30 minutes for the initial marrying of the AP.

I don't remember where I read this or who told me this, but I have been told this before. Whether this is true or even possible, I have no friggen clue LOL. Disclosure: **I have no knowledge of how ECU's work flashing back and forth**

The AP flashes differently than the other tuners based on what I have read and this method potentially hides the ECU parameters (better?).

Please don't flame me, again I'm just passing on the "logic" I've heard.

I for one **DO NOT** think it is possible to hide from Odis's scan when unmarrying the AP back to stock. But I would LOVE to be wrong.

NeedmorePSI went in for warranty work for his intake manifold after unmarrying his AP. I would love to hear back from him to see what happened if they scanned his ECU and flagged him TD1. But from what I've seen, I think his manifold was replaced under warranty (will need to confirm).

Last edited:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
TD1 flagging isn't always automatic. If you bring in a non-stock image it's gonna flag you for sure. If you flash back the stock file and everything looks okay on the surface it will pass the automated checks and big brother won't request the deep dive.

Plenty of people have gotten warranty work done after a flash tune. Its a combination of the dealer, the owner of the car (what they may have said) and whether or not the home office requests additional backup.

Most people haven't been hassled about turbo replacements, but if you blow a hole in the block the engineers are going to want to know what happened (to prevent it from happening in the future) and the warranty guys are not going to want to pay it so they will ask for it too.

The safe position is to assume it can be detected, maybe it won't matter but at the end of the day you're taking a risk.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
TD1 flagging isn't always automatic. If you bring in a non-stock image it's gonna flag you for sure. If you flash back the stock file and everything looks okay on the surface it will pass the automated checks and big brother won't request the deep dive.

Plenty of people have gotten warranty work done after a flash tune. Its a combination of the dealer, the owner of the car (what they may have said) and whether or not the home office requests additional backup.

Most people haven't been hassled about turbo replacements, but if you blow a hole in the block the engineers are going to want to know what happened (to prevent it from happening in the future) and the warranty guys are not going to want to pay it so they will ask for it too.

The safe position is to assume it can be detected, maybe it won't matter but at the end of the day you're taking a risk.

Pretty fair assessment, I'd say.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!

^^This +1. I can only share my experiences thus far. A hole in the block would warrant a representative to travel from VWoA to inspect/diagnose. They will see mods and they will decide whether to void walk away, replace engine and void after(good faith replacement) or you get really lucky and keep warranty intact.