GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the sweet spot?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Maybe he’s from r/golfgti

that subreddit is full of some bad info. And shitty mods too. And if so, ain’t his fault he got bad info.

Or, Facebook. Facebook is too accessible... everyone and their mom (and apparently now their grandma too) has one. So many repetitive questions, a lot less people contributing strong knowledge like here. Much more “social media,” much less cars. And I’m talking about GolfGTI groups etc.

I couldn’t STAND the Alltrack group I was in. Just too many, plainly, stupid questions. And just as many stupid responses

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Or, Facebook. Facebook is too accessible... everyone and their mom (and apparently now their grandma too) has one. So many repetitive questions, a lot less people contributing strong knowledge like here. Much more “social media,” much less cars. And I’m talking about GolfGTI groups etc.

I couldn’t STAND the Alltrack group I was in. Just too many, plainly, stupid questions. And just as many stupid responses
I couldn’t even imagine. I never had a fb. But my buddy has told me, the 350z groups are as bad as you described.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don’t do Facebook but I have a friend who does and he tells me that the GTI forum is massive on Facebook. That's where EQT does business.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Who is this clown that has randomly popped in with ZERO first hand knowledge?

also I think the point that @Hoon MADE...(not tried)is you don’t have an actually clue what you are talking about😂 “substantially”

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Guys, I appreciate the responses. All of them.

I certainly didn't intend to start a fight on here, but I wanted to hear a variety of opinions and experiences.

I think I'm going to continue to work towards the is38. I feel like being up at altitude here in Colorado and being on 91 with a 91 octane tune, ill be making about as little power as any is38 car out there. Being the least powerful is38 might also be the most reliable one!

What has everyone payed for the install? I know it's pretty time consuming. I say GTIJake say it took him upwards of 8 hours. That surprised me a bit. Im too crappy of a mechanic to do it myself, so I will pay my local performance vw shop.

Btw, arguing over these cars being performance cars or not is petty silly. We all know they can be very fast, but they also aren't GT3 Cup cars. Driving skill matters more anyhow. I've been track driving for many years and have easily 40+ track days. I've seen it all. I've passed 911 turbos, and other super fast cars and then I've been beaten by stock miatas.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
I’m in Colorado too. The apr is38 requires a downpipe swap. And they shut off the secondary sensors. As a result you won’t pass emissions at air care so you’ll have to swap to the stock dp every two years.

currently I have the low tq apr stage 1 + dsg tune. Intake. Muffler delete. And I dyno’d 280whp and 320wtq. That’s super low for an apr stage 1. But that’s just the elevation, boost doesn’t do well here as you’ve probably noticed.

I’d argue stage 1 with fbo would be more reliable than stage 2 with fbo. Only because stage 2’s boost spikes super gnarly at our elevation. Plus the whole boost mapping till about 5500rpm is crazy.

is20 here in Denver has to spool at 27-28psi just so we can see 24-25psi. Effectively it’s as if stage 2 overworks our turbo a bit when at wot.
Emissions tests arent required in colorado until the car is 7 years old

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
8 hours while shooting a YouTube video, and figuring out how to do it for the first time. Granted my car doesn’t have a giant PP diff in the way which would make access more difficult.

I work on aircraft for a living, so fast is never my goal. Getting things done correctly is what matters.

Our local shops quote $600-$800 for labor, the blue Rabbit that’s always here has been calling around since I’m busy with fabrication work.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Dude, these are tarted up Golfs and Jettas...They are not performance cars by any measure. Stop it.

This is one point I will slightly agree with. They are performance models of an economy car. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It also doesn't mean they have an issue pushing out some good power.

You guys are getting trolled. 😁

Jim isn't very good at recognizing internet trolls 😂

Maybe he’s from r/golfgti

that subreddit is full of some bad info. And shitty mods too. And if so, ain’t his fault he got bad info.

/r/GolfGTI is good for pictures, that's about it.