GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where the heck is the CarNet module?

shuko

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Does anyone know the location of the VW carnet module on the MKVII??

I want to crack it open and look inside.

I haven't even made the first payment on my Golf, but I've had a good chunk of the interior and dash apart (also, inside the infotainment box, --where it's not.)

I have looked in these places and have not found it yet:

-overhead console and headliner
-behind the infotainment display and HVAC controls
-behind the storage compartment in front of the shifter
-in the center console in front of or behind the shifter and armrest compartment
-Drivers side kick panel/dead pedal (lots of connectors here though - including a rear washer fluid line fitting!)
-below all of the seats, above the carpet
-under the rear deck everywhere
-inside the Discovery module in the glove box (did some trial and error with various connectors and physically opened it up to check out chipsets and whatnot, removed the CD cartridge, poor thing)

I'm guessing it's buried up in the dash somewhere, but getting that deep is going to be a pretty major project.

Also, this platform is pretty cool. There are hidden wiring tunnels with plenty of space. Great place for car audio, water+meth lines, etc.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Also, this platform is pretty cool. There are hidden wiring tunnels with plenty of space. Great place for car audio, water+meth lines, etc.

Please tell me where this is lol. I want to install a sub soon. Sorry that I can not help with the other stuff :) thanks

shuko

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Please tell me where this is lol. I want to install a sub soon. Sorry that I can not help with the other stuff :) thanks

They run the length of the car below the trim panels on the sides of the car floor. If you pull up (hard) on the panel that runs alongside the seat, it will pop out. You'll notice a bunch of wires. Below the wires is actually a tunnel with a whole bunch of space inside, which you can see much better if you remove the kick panel (there's a screw behind the trunk release handle.)

Pulling off the kick panel and side cover will give you plenty of space to run stereo cables. You may also want to go up the middle, through the center console and under the carpet.

shuko

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
As a follow up, I found it. Will be making a "how to kill CarNet connectivity without killing other features" guide once I figure it out.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
As a follow up, I found it. Will be making a "how to kill CarNet connectivity without killing other features" guide once I figure it out.

Lol you guys in Texas are car crazy :) I have to give you that lol, great job and a very brave soul, I don't even dare to ask how you found out that it was there.

Great info regardless