GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel bolts for track? Have you upgraded?

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I am just starting to mod my GTI for track days. One concern is the wheel bolts. Have any of you upgraded the wheel bolts or done something like a stud conversion. A quick google search found these. Main question is, Is there a reason to upgrade them? Do the factory ones work fine? Is it worth it for the convenience of quicker wheel swaps. Feed back would be appreciated.

https://www.racingline.com/stud-nut-kit

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The factory lugs are fine, only reason to convert is to make wheel changes easier and faster. Personally I don't have a problem with lug bolts. I have been eyeing some titanium lugs but I'm fairly deep down the weight savings rabbit hole, there's really no need for them other than chasing about a pound.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I replace the lug bolts every couple of years as they do fatigue with repeated wheel changes. The same concept holds true for studs. USP's Spulen bolts seem of good quality and are reasonably priced. I ditched the factory bolts almost immediately as I didn't want to keep messing with the plastic covers.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I have used the stud conversion for a number of years, including 3-4 years of track days. My current choice is Rennline. They have rounded noses, allowing for easier alignment with the holes in the wheels.

I presume the wheels you are currently using are ball seat. Just make sure that your bolts/lug nuts match the wheel, either ball or conical seat. Also, if you are or or going to use wheel spacers, you will likely need longer bolts/studs.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I switched from bolts to studs and much prefer it. They make wheel changes very easy and allow me to run spacers up to 20mm without needing to change anything else.

Motorsport Hardware sells good quality studs/spacers at fair prices.

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have used the stud conversion for a number of years, including 3-4 years of track days. My current choice is Rennline. They have rounded noses, allowing for easier alignment with the holes in the wheels.

I presume the wheels you are currently using are ball seat. Just make sure that your bolts/lug nuts match the wheel, either ball or conical seat. Also, if you are or or going to use wheel spacers, you will likely need longer bolts/studs.
I not sure if I have ball or conical yet. I currently have and aftermarket set of wheels and gorilla locking bolts. I just have to see which ones I have at the moment. I will check out the Rennline ones. Thank you. I don't intend to run spacers.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
If you're going for studs, MSI Racing makes the best in the business, bar none. They have low friction coated nuts, as well as the more traditional hi-vis NASCAR nuts.

Personally I wait for McGard 50 pack bolts to drop to $50-ish on amazon and scoop them up, have enough for a lifetime. IMO McGard also is one of the best quality lug bolts you can buy, and they chrome plating is excellent, albeit very limited lengths available.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
If you are getting studs and using stock wheels or aftermarket that require ball seat (like Neuspeed), just be sure that you get R13 (not R14) lug nuts. You can also use conical lug nuts with ball seat washer adapters (also make sure R13) but they seem easy to lose. Most places do not specify if they are R13 or R14.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Personally I wait for McGard 50 pack bolts to drop to $50-ish on amazon and scoop them up, have enough for a lifetime.

😲

When do they drop to $50? Never seen them below about $200

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I have used Titanium from USP for a few years. Love them. Do not rust and stay clean.
Very smooth threading in. Good quality hardware. Do not have big salt issues in Tennessee but after being on my car 2 years straight, I removed this week and they look perfect. Clean with no rust.

Attachments

• D94D5F9B-219C-4193-A0F1-60EA8636DE89.jpeg
    D94D5F9B-219C-4193-A0F1-60EA8636DE89.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's crazy. I paid over $200 for mine. Oh well

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i did it mostly for the wheel changes as others mentioned, partially for looks (the ricer in me) lol

1608154065532.png