GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel bearing?

bearJW

Ready to race!
My 2017 GTI is making this noise that sounds like I am being followed by a propellor airplane. :-(

When I turn right, it goes away, straighten out... it comes back. If I put it in nuetral, no change to the sound, rev the engine, no change. The noises pitch raises and lowers depending on speed. It's definitely coming form the rear.

I was told last fall I'd bent 3 of my rims. Bought some new ones online from a guy that replaced his (nice MK7.5 wheels) and some new michelin pilot sport a/s. Noise gone, now it's back.
If this is just the tires... I've replaced the tires a few times in the last few years, and I thought it was because they wore funny due to the rims being bent.

Gonna try a non dealer enthusiast garage... It's just so loud and annoying.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does the noise stop if you use the brake pedal? Going the speed that it does it and swerve back and forth and see if the noise changes tones. If it's still noisy when on the brakes and the noise stays but changes pitch when you swerve it's a wheel bearing.

bearJW

Ready to race!
The brakes do not change the tone. It changes with speed. If I’m turning right, or like a gentle curve, it gets much softer, then comes back.