GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you do?

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
About to have a new clutch installed on my 2019 stage 2 EQT 93 with 9500 miles.

What things would you do while having a new clutch installed?

Greg

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Many people recommend a new rear main seal as they are prone to premature failure. iAbed makes a nice aftermarket solution for ~$100.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Many people recommend a new rear main seal as they are prone to premature failure. iAbed makes a nice aftermarket solution for ~$100.
I did the iabed… but honestly the whole “many people” thing I think is better defined as “the more vocal people say to do it”

There are many who follow the if it’s ain’t broke don’t fix it, esp when RMS leaks on gen 3s isn’t that common, I bet if this had a poll at the top you would see a pretty close 50/50 split of the leave it alone vs change it.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Good time to swap mounts if you haven’t as yet.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
My mechanic, a young talented guy, feels the aftermarket main seals are more prone to leakage…???

have installed BFI motor mount and BFI insert…on the fence with the trans though I done know why other than some 329.00 part cost for BFI

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My mechanic, a young talented guy, feels the aftermarket main seals are more prone to leakage…???

have installed BFI motor mount and BFI insert…on the fence with the trans though I done know why other than some 329.00 part cost for BFI
Do the $50 insert and re-built the mount. Buy a riveted style mount on eBay, etc. or take a gamble and hope that’s the style yours has. The riveted style is the only kind that can be re-built and apparently there’s no rhyme or reason which one gets used in these cars.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
You might consider a Wavetrac if you are non PP.

Fluidampr is another thing you might want to so while the transmission is open.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Fluid-damper install is no easier with or with the transmission being on the car…

trans on = use a crank tool to hold the crank in place while you remove/install the crank bolt.

Trans off = use and flywheel lock tool to hold the crank in place while your remove/install the crank bolt.

I’m running a fluiddampr btw… i wouldn’t recommended it for a car using a DMF, I put it on my car when I did the dkm smf - but now that I’m back to a dmf car - it’s added weight mixed with the heavy dual mass makes for a slow free rev and sucks at blipping the throttle to rev to 2k to take off -lol

As far as a wavetrac - dropping the trans takes less time and money than the actual wavetrac/diff install labor by a good amount too. But OP has a 2019 so it’s got the PP package by default.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Fluid-damper install is no easier with or with the transmission being on the car…

trans on = use a crank tool to hold the crank in place while you remove/install the crank bolt.

Trans off = use and flywheel lock tool to hold the crank in place while your remove/install the crank bolt.

I’m running a fluiddampr btw… i wouldn’t recommended it for a car using a DMF, I put it on my car when I did the dkm smf - but now that I’m back to a dmf car - it’s added weight mixed with the heavy dual mass makes for a slow free rev and sucks at blipping the throttle to rev to 2k to take off -lol

As far as a wavetrac - dropping the trans takes less time and money than the actual wavetrac/diff install labor by a good amount too. But OP has a 2019 so it’s got the PP package by default.

Upvoted for the knowledge. TY

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
About to have a new clutch installed on my 2019 stage 2 EQT 93 with 9500 miles.

What things would you do while having a new clutch installed?

Greg
What clutch are you getting?

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I researched and determined that as a 62-year old guy who doesn’t track or street race and use this as my daily…a DMF was my choice. I then parted out a Sachs OEM flywheel to pair with a Ringer Racing Stage 2 clutch.

Then I found the below in this forum for $1000 from a super nice guy with receipts and still BNIB from XLR8 who lived only two hours away. We met halfway and that is my clutch…when I need it. Still on original.

I know some may say this clutch kit won’t hold stage 2 but I think it will and for the price I will take the risk.

1B7D39C6-71CD-4CC3-82B4-4A6A0F6D2EC2.png

Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I researched and determined that as a 62-year old guy who doesn’t track or street race and use this as my daily…a DMF was my choice. I then parted out a Sachs OEM flywheel to pair with a Ringer Racing Stage 2 clutch.

Then I found the below in this forum for $1000 from a super nice guy with receipts and still BNIB from XLR8 who lived only two hours away. We met halfway and that is my clutch…when I need it. Still on original.

I know some may say this clutch kit won’t hold stage 2 but I think it will and for the price I will take the risk.

View attachment 223961
That’s the clutch I had for my first mk7, I was APR stage 2 fbo. Really an OEM feel. It will hold fine if you drive normal mixed with some spirited driving but if you drive too happy too much time it will end up slipping.
As you said, for the price, worth to try. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
That’s the clutch I had for my first mk7, I was APR stage 2 fbo. Really an OEM feel. It will hold fine if you drive normal mixed with some spirit driving but if you drive too happy too much time it will end up slipping.
As you said, for the price, worth to try. Enjoy!
Yes, that is what I have heard. I may regret not having spent the extra 400-500 but I know my driving habits and how many fewer miles I am putting on my car these days. Thanks for the confirmation.