GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What tyres?

rascal1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi folks

Need 2 new front tyres for my 2.0TDI GT.
They are currently Michelin Primacy HP 225/45/R17.
Guessing (hoping) they've been on the car since new but not sure (I've had it since October and it's just passed 21k).
Do about 250 mostly motorway miles a week so roughly 15k a year.
Nice balance between cost, grip, low rolling resistance and longevity - moon on a stick I know!
What do you guys use/recommend?

Fanis1

Ready to race!
I recommend if they are not worn so much to switch front and rear tyres, or if they are, change all four of them

Bod

I have the same car and had Pirelli on as OEM fit. I swapped all 4 tyres at 40K miles. I have fitted Good Year Efficient Grip which were cheap, have good ratings and reviews for wet/dry stopping, longevity and efficiency and above all are quieter than the Pirellis. They have done 20K miles and look like they will last about the same as the Pirellis.

Last edited:

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Blinking heck 40k miles - I'll be very lucky to get 20k miles out of my Bridgestones on my GTD!

Bod

Blinking heck 40k miles - I'll be very lucky to get 20k miles out of my Bridgestones on my GTD!

I was surprised how long they lasted. Do bear in mind that I do 30K miles a year on long straight roads and I only have to brake once on my 35 mile commute to work! All very boring, even if the Golf is not a boring car.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hi folks

Need 2 new front tyres for my 2.0TDI GT.
They are currently Michelin Primacy HP 225/45/R17.
Guessing (hoping) they've been on the car since new but not sure (I've had it since October and it's just passed 21k).
Do about 250 mostly motorway miles a week so roughly 15k a year.
Nice balance between cost, grip, low rolling resistance and longevity - moon on a stick I know!
What do you guys use/recommend?

Not sure if they sell near you, but look at Bridgestone Ecopia. They are a quiet smooth rolling tire. Good on fuel milage.

rascal1

Passed Driver's Ed
Confused about which one to go for.
Heard good things about Good Year Effiecient Grip - then one person's negative user comments make you doubt what you've heard. Pirelli P7? Conti Sport Contact 5? Bridgestone Potenza? Arrrgggghhhhh!
How long does a tyre last?
I know there are loads of variables that decide that which will be different for everyone.
There can't be one tyre that ticks all the boxes - good grip all all conditions, last 'forever', fuel-efficient, quiet and won't bankrupt you.
If you can't have it all, what are you prepared to compromise on? Don't mind paying if it lasts a decent time.
A mate of mine surprised me tonight when he told me he doesn't put 'premium' tyres on his Alfa GT Cloverleaf 170bhp.
Does big brands = marketing bullshit?
Anyone heard of Evergreen/any experience of them? Quite new I think and apparently good but never heard of them...so many questions!

martgadget

Passed Driver's Ed
tyres

still on my OEM tyres (Bridgestone Potenza - yuck)

From my last golf Mk5 170:

Pirelli PZero - Nah, didnt last very long and expensive
Conti Sport Contact - Unremarkable to me but better reviews than my favorite (dunlop below)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-5.htm

Bridgestone Potenza? - not impressed so far - no grip in the wet (or dry lol)

My favorite on the mk5 was GoodYear Optigrip http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/OptiGrip.htm

mixed reviews, but i liked 'em.

rascal1

Passed Driver's Ed
Confused about which one to go for.
Heard good things about Good Year Effiecient Grip - then one person's negative user comments make you doubt what you've heard. Pirelli P7? Conti Sport Contact 5? Bridgestone Potenza? Arrrgggghhhhh!
How long does a tyre last?
I know there are loads of variables that decide that which will be different for everyone.
There can't be one tyre that ticks all the boxes - good grip all all conditions, last 'forever', fuel-efficient, quiet and won't bankrupt you.
If you can't have it all, what are you prepared to compromise on? Don't mind paying if it lasts a decent time.
A mate of mine surprised me tonight when he told me he doesn't put 'premium' tyres on his Alfa GT Cloverleaf 170bhp.
Does big brands = marketing bullshit?
Anyone heard of Evergreen/any experience of them? Quite new I think and apparently good but never heard of them...so many questions

ktopher

Ready to race!
The Bridgestone Ecopia is ok but nothing impressive. Good traction on dry but not so good on wet roads.

rascal1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a couple of Good Year Efficient Grip Performance tyres put on today.
Rated very highly here in the UK.
The guy said 'Nice to see someone putting some quality rubber on' as I left ;-)