GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What other cars did you test drive or consider before buying your VW?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
None.

Had a 2013 Altima I was content with, until I drove a buddy's stage 1 MK6 one day.

Within a month, had my MK7.

turbo_dreams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
None, had a MK6 that was totaled because of a tornado. Never even had a chance to mod it.

I bought a Maxima after that because I needed a car and MK7s were a little too expensive at the time. I kept the Maxima for awhile, then traded it in for a G37, but was always browsing MK7s.

Finally bought another GTI, been pretty happy ever since. I'm always looking at cars though. It's good to have dreams.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I only test drove a couple cars before I got my mk6, a focus st and a sti. The sti test drive will always be the most memorable. They took a copy of my license, handed me the keys, and off I went by myself.

All of my VWs have kinda been love at first sight. I saw my mk4 on autotrader and had to have it. That car started to turn to shit, but I saw my first mk6 on the road and instantly fell in love. I hated the mk5s so much that I was so happy to see how much better the mk6 looked. The first night of looking for one I found one at a local dealer and the next morning it was mine. Before I got my 7.5 I thought I'd branch out and maybe try something new, but there was nothing that got me that excited. I found a dealer about an hour away selling a R in the color I wanted with the transmission I wanted and super low miles, so I took it for a couple test drives and bought it that day.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I only test drove a couple cars before I got my mk6, a focus st and a sti. The sti test drive will always be the most memorable. They took a copy of my license, handed me the keys, and off I went by myself.

I haven’t had a salesman on a test drive in a decade or so. A few months ago I was tossed the keys to a CPO R and told “let us know what you think”.

one day this will be the standard treatment for you, I think it’s an age thing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven’t had a salesman on a test drive in a decade or so. A few months ago I was tossed the keys to a CPO R and told “let us know what you think”.

one day this will be the standard treatment for you, I think it’s an age thing.
That's it then. I'm going to the Ferrari dealer tomorrow. 😂

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
That's it then. I'm going to the Ferrari dealer tomorrow. 😂

I was fired from my first day at a Ford dealer when they gave us access to the key box, and said to “get familiar with the lineup.” After 45min of flogging a Panoz Roadster, I learned that some cars are sold without test drives. 🤣

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I only considered the Golf R. Never test drove one until I bought mine. Just knew this was the next car I'd get and worked to that end.

When I bought my '89 Mustang, I was currently driving a 1980 200SX and considered moving to a newer 240SX but I tested one and realized it was just as gutless as the 200SX so I briefly considered a Camaro and an MR2 but the Mustang was generally considered better than the Camaro at that time and was a better value so I got that. I did test a couple Mustangs before I placed an order.

Replaced the Mustang with the '95 Camaro I special ordered and did not test drive any before I got into mine on delivery day.

When I got the 2006 Volvo V70 R I knew that was going to be the next car and did not consider any others either. I also drove one for the first time when I bought mine. I didn't consider anything else because my wife got rid of her minvan and we needed a family car but it had to be fast and that was the only one that worked. You could say the Dodge Magnum was an obvious option but I did not consider it because it has crappy visibility so it was not on my list.

Corvette replaced the V70 R and it was a logical step up from the Camaro and I also bought the only one I tested.

Next car will probably be chosen in a similar manner - I'll just know what I want and not consider anything else and probably not test one either.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Having liked the 2003 NB MX-5 I had, I thought about and showroom browsed the MX-5 RF. They look awesome and there's never been a Miata that wasn't fun, but it's just too small for a DD or only car. You can't toss a bike in the back or get a proper load of groceries into it. If it had the power this GTI does I might have looked harder (and swore not to sell my truck).

Edit: Oh yeah, Mazda's infotainment is hot garbage. No touch interface, but rather a knob down in the centre console behind the shifter. They eschew touch screens as a safety hazard. I suspect that's more of a sales hazard for Mazda.
I looked hard at an RF, but went with the GTI because it was cheaper and more practical. I came from a Cayman (by way of an S3) so I wasn't so concerned about practicality. I actually would have looked harder at the Miata if it weren't so expensive (though, given how easy it was to make the GTI into a 911 killer, I'd have regretted it), but I couldn't get over paying almost $40k for a Miata. That's, well, CPO Cayman money. I was also going back to school, and the GTI is just the best car when you can't have every car.

Also, for the record, I looked at an R. Sort of the same deal on price.

pinyin

Car(s)
21 GTI SE DSG
Kia Stinger GT2
BMW M340I M Performance Package
Alfa Romeo Guilia
MK 7.5 Golf R
Audi S3

came close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 M340i, but the only place within 500 miles that had one (they actually had three) was a shady used car dealer that would lie about prices, wouldn't sell to cash buyers or out of state buyers.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Focus ST but found the steering to lack feel. Thought about a WRX but the cheap interior turned me off. As a previous GTI owner, it was always at the top of the list.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Came from owning a Fiesta ST, so already had that checkbox ticked. Focus ST was meh to me so didn’t even bother test driving.

I went and test drove a:
Toyota Tundra single cab/short bed (was mildly interested in the truck life)
Veloster N
GTI was next on the list, bought it before I test drove the WRX. I’ll probably own one some day, but not until their interiors get a total revamp