GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil filter for your's GTI do You use?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Just not Fram...

THIS. Do NOT use Fram filters or other cheap filters. They are cheap garbage and had one rip/tear on me on my mkv gti, which used a similar cartridge style filter. Stick with OEM, Mann, or Mobil 1 filters.

Attachments

• 2012-03-17_12-47-28_553.jpg
    2012-03-17_12-47-28_553.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,587

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
Only options at this point are OEM, Mann, Mahle (both are OEM parts manufacturers but it is cheaper to get Mahle or Mann branded filters are opposed to OEM) and Wix. Wix is nice because you can run to a local store that carries Wix filters and pick it up instead of waiting on a Mann/Mahle to come in if you don't have a VW dealership handy. I have used an OEM filter and a Wix filter so far and will try a Mahle next. I am running the Wix right now and it seems fine. Only significant difference between it and the Mann/Mahle is that is has plastic instead of paper end caps which seems nicer to me. It comes with the proper rubber o ring for the filter canister. However, I posted about this on BITOG and was berated there for not using a German made filter (Mann or Mahle) since Wix has apparently farmed production of their cartridge filters out to Korea and it is now "Korean made junk". I have no idea if there is validity to this or if it is just jingoism but I am concerned about the filtration rating of the Wix filter as apparently some are quite low. I figured right now the German made filters are so cheap when ordered (cheaper than the Wix OTC price but not cheaper than the Wix internet price) that there isn't a reason not to use them so I will be using those for the foreseeable future. The price delta when ordering is only 3 or 4 dollars between Wix and Mahle/Mann.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Only options at this point are OEM, Mann, Mahle (both are OEM parts manufacturers but it is cheaper to get Mahle or Mann branded filters are opposed to OEM) and Wix. Wix is nice because you can run to a local store that carries Wix filters and pick it up instead of waiting on a Mann/Mahle to come in if you don't have a VW dealership handy. I have used an OEM filter and a Wix filter so far and will try a Mahle next. I am running the Wix right now and it seems fine. Only significant difference between it and the Mann/Mahle is that is has plastic instead of paper end caps which seems nicer to me. It comes with the proper rubber o ring for the filter canister. However, I posted about this on BITOG and was berated there for not using a German made filter (Mann or Mahle) since Wix has apparently farmed production of their cartridge filters out to Korea and it is now "Korean made junk". I have no idea if there is validity to this or if it is just jingoism but I am concerned about the filtration rating of the Wix filter as apparently some are quite low. I figured right now the German made filters are so cheap when ordered (cheaper than the Wix OTC price but not cheaper than the Wix internet price) that there isn't a reason not to use them so I will be using those for the foreseeable future. The price delta when ordering is only 3 or 4 dollars between Wix and Mahle/Mann.

Where are you ordering from?

Mk7VW

Banned
I was building my exact gti on the vw website so I can look at the technical specs and I came across:

Engine Oil: 6.97 qt

How many quarts are you guys putting in? If I'm not mistaken I may have only put 6 the last time I did a oil change. I can't remember though.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I am surprised it says ~7qts. I've always been told 6 and that's what I put in last time. Maybe there is still a quart in the oil lines and stuff but I doubt it..