GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Picking up some stock rear shocks today to swap on. Also going to test drive a TT: the 2-door GTI with awd, less room, no spare tire, and 1 cupholder 😂

It would be promptly vetoed by my wife but I gotta confirm the question of do I want a do-it-all car or do I want a toy.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Picking up some stock rear shocks today to swap on. Also going to test drive a TT: the 2-door GTI with awd, less room, no spare tire, and 1 cupholder 😂

It would be promptly vetoed by my wife but I gotta confirm the question of do I want a do-it-all car or do I want a toy.
My wife had a TT when we met. Perhaps your wife will be in favor of one if you share it with her? Hers was a great car; trouble free for 140k miles and drove great in the snow.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

You want a TT? What's wrong with my TTs?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit. You guys. It seems that last round of sound deadening killed the hum on the highway by like 90%. And it reduced the hum at lower speeds. All I did this week was add some more mass to the rear wheel wells and a few pieces on the b pillars. I had already done so much, but I think that last bit was the right move...

I just drove an hour north, picked up the shocks, and drove the hour back home, and I got close to zero hum on the highway at most speeds across multiple highway surfaces, from cold tires to hot tires. I still get some hum on the concrete sections but that's expected since it's grooved. The asphalt stuff was fine. I turned off my music and just basked in the regular road noise. I'm elated. I really hope this isn't too good to be true. Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit I'm going to fucking cry lol.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
My wife had a TT when we met. Perhaps your wife will be in favor of one if you share it with her? Hers was a great car; trouble free for 140k miles and drove great in the snow.
Great damn point on sharing it with her. My wife says she "doesn't care" about cars, but I can tell she loves driving little sporty things. Buuuuut she also likes being a Passenger Princess, surrounded by her cups and coffees.
You want a TT? What's wrong with my TTs?
You selling a TTS?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit. You guys. It seems that last round of sound deadening killed the hum on the highway by like 90%. And it reduced the hum at lower speeds. All I did this week was add some more mass to the rear wheel wells and a few pieces on the b pillars. I had already done so much, but I think that last bit was the right move...

I just drove an hour north, picked up the shocks, and drove the hour back home, and I got close to zero hum on the highway at most speeds across multiple highway surfaces, from cold tires to hot tires. I still get some hum on the concrete sections but that's expected since it's grooved. The asphalt stuff was fine. I turned off my music and just basked in the regular road noise. I'm elated. I really hope this isn't too good to be true. Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit I'm going to fucking cry lol.

Kart17

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport

Would be interested in where you placed them.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Would be interested in where you placed them.
More or less everywhere but heavy on both wheel wells, especially the side facing toward the spare tire. Needed quite a bit to noticeably damp the “drumming” sound it makes. Also, there’s a slight opening in the inner body panel you can’t see here that gives access to more of the wheel well. Adding more there seemed to make the difference. I might do more. Gotta order more material and some replacement clips and fasteners.

IMG_0444.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Time for poly bushings to get the hum back. 😜

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You were just waiting for me to get this straightened out so you could start recommending more mods, weren’t you?
You know me. You really know me.