GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does the CECM control and its relation to engine management error codes?

allset

Go Kart Champion
Does the CECM control/monitor only secondary electric functions like lights, BCM,etc. or are the electric management functions of the engine also included in what the CECM does? I know now in VagCom the Central Electric and Central Convenience Modules are combined.

The reason I ask is im trying to work backwards to find the cause of a continuous fuel rail sensor pressure errors (P0088) and any relation to HID's/aftermarket headlamps with error eliminators effecting the CECM. I can’t seem to find info online about all functions the CECM controls in the MK6.

There are confirmed reports of the Spyder headlights frying the CECM in the MK6 and I had those installed just before and during the rail sensor problems occurred. I know at least one other guy here who had the same P0088 fuel rail pressure error problems and also has HID's installed.

So basically my question is can a problem with the CECM effect engine electronic functions like fuel pressure sensors, fuel overlay wiring etc. Or are they independent of each other?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dubbinit2

Drag Racing Champion
Im pretty sure they are independent and that is merely coincidental. I believe it is interior/light functions. Think of all the functions performed in the inside of our cabin.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Im pretty sure they are independent and that is merely coincidental. I believe it is interior/light functions. Think of all the functions performed in the inside of our cabin.

Thats what im really hoping for so i dont have to go back to halogens but i need to be sure..its was a fukng nightmare with that code and the related powerloss.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
The reason i ask is im trying to work backwards to find the cause of a continous fuel rail sensor pressure errors (P0088) and any relation to HID's/aftermarket headlamps with error eliminators effecting the CECM. I cant seem to find info online about all functions the CECM controls in the MK6.

I think the fuel pressure issue is a known problem (and warranty item). Others have posted on this. I'd speculate this is controlled by the Engine ECU and not related to the CECM. Fuel pressure numbers are accessed via VAG in the Engine/measuring blocks area. I forget the Block #, but scrolled past it the other day with my VAG.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I think the fuel pressure issue is a known problem (and warranty item). Others have posted on this. I'd speculate this is controlled by the Engine ECU and not related to the CECM. Fuel pressure numbers are accessed via VAG in the Engine/measuring blocks area. I forget the Block #, but scrolled past it the other day with my VAG.

Right, that was me that had the 6 month long problem which was covered by warranty (which is gone in 6k) and i thought vw fixed it , they replaced over a 2 month period the hpfp, pressure sensors and finally the fuel wiring overlay 2 months ago and it was free of that code for the past 2 months with the best power and response ive ever had....until 2 days ago. I first heard the exhaust note change, scanned, no code, next day i felt the power and response going, scanned it, boom..P0088 fuel rail pressure too high. Same thing i had for months and months of throwing the code, clearing it, power would come back for 2-3 days then code would throw again.

I really thought they had it this time. so im grasping at straws trying to figure out wats causing it b4 i bring it in to vw yet again.

Thats i good idea, i never noticed the fuel pressure in the meas blocks.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
ttt

allset

Go Kart Champion
Wait wait wait, how would lights fry the ecm? This doesnt make sense to me.

not the ECU, the CECM, central electric contol module, it controls/monitors, lights, body control module, BCM,functions, etc. the CECM is above ur left knee near the obd port. In vagcom the Cenrtral Electric tab is where most of the tweaks ppl do; they happen via the CECM.

Some how the wiring or resistors in his spyder headlamp shorted out something in his cecm so that it drained the battery dead. VW had to replace it. He noticed his led went out on one side then the battery went dead.

Im trying to find out if the cecm controls just BCM and secondary electric functions or if engine management is included or can be effected by a fault in the cecm.

edit: i just saw u typed ECM not ECU

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
ECU and J519 are on different buses. ECU is on the high speed powertrain can bus, J519 is on the low speed convenience can. They only communicate with eachother trough the gateway.

allset

Go Kart Champion
ECU and J519 are on different buses. ECU is on the high speed powertrain can bus, J519 is on the low speed convenience can. They only communicate with eachother trough the gateway.

finally! so it is coincidence that those with the fuel rail pressure too high code issue and also have aftermarket heads/HID's.

thanks/

allset

Go Kart Champion
Have you tried checking out a wiring diagram in the Bentley Manual? You'll be able to trace both circuitries to see if they are independent.

manual is one of those on my "to get" list. Probably should do it at this point.

allset

Go Kart Champion