GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

RadleeBradlee

Ready to race!
bfi shift knob is nicer looking than boomba but it seems the boomba shortens the height too which i like...just boomba doesnt look as good imo
I like the plain look of my boomba. It sits at a nice height. It doesn't get hot or cold. My only complaint is that it's smooth. There's no texture to it so it's a bit slippery.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I like the plain look of my boomba. It sits at a nice height. It doesn't get hot or cold. My only complaint is that it's smooth. There's no texture to it so it's a bit slippery.
These are the 2 main reasons that I went with the Boomba. The stock shift knob just sits way too high for my liking. And the fact that it doesn't get too hot or cold is a big plus. I'm not really worried about the cold here in L.A. (lol) but during the summer there were a couple of times where I literally burned my hand on the stock shift knob.

RadleeBradlee

Ready to race!
These are the 2 main reasons that I went with the Boomba. The stock shift knob just sits way too high for my liking. And the fact that it doesn't get too hot or cold is a big plus. I'm not really worried about the cold here in L.A. (lol) but during the summer there were a couple of times where I literally burned my hand on the stock shift knob.
The temperature neutrality or whatever they call it, the height, and the price. I got the knob and the adapter for the price some people for just the knob. Great combo imo.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
How do you like the Remus axle-back?
I have one being installed today.

Build quality, fit and finish are exemplary.
Sound is not obnoxious at all.
Nice rumble at higher rpms but nothing overly noisy.
Coming from the near silent stock exhaust it seemed a bit loud in comparison.
But I am growing to like it more every time I drive.

Which tip option did you get? The ti set was too ridiculou$ for me.
Remus Tips.jpg

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What I did today....

This is a basic impression review of the Unitronic VW GTI software for the 2016 GTI that I just got in the mail today.

Got the Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune along with the Stage 1 TCU tune, purchased as a combo deal from ShopDAP. Also bought the UniConnect Cable as well so that I could flash the car at home without taking it anywhere.

Starting with the first thing that came to mind on the first drive out is:

"This should have come from the factory this way. At least for the transmission software".

Compared to the stock DSG software, the Unitronic Stage 1 DSG software really evens out and SMOOTH'S out the entire driving experience. What I mean is that you DSG owners know that the car likes to select 6th gear at low speeds, and that it does not appear to be in exactly the right gear when accelerating even gently, out of turns and corners. The clunk of putting it in reverse, and drive is no more. The shift selects are now very smooth, more akin to a regular auto trans. The car now appears to be in exactly the correct gear for all manner of driving. The gear display is also shown in the dash MSG

The improvement for all modes (D, S, manual) of operation gear changes is far, far, far, far ahead of the OEM DSG programming. In normal driving (D)...it appears to always be in the correct gear making for smooth transitions and smooth acceleration. The gears now change down correctly and sequentially when slowing down, which is so much better and logical than the OEM DSG software. The OEM DSG always struggles to be in the lowest gear possible which makes for a crappy drive experience, and the anticipation of having to depress the accelerator at the most inappropriate time in order to get it to drive properly at slower speeds, and especially turning corners is thankfully no longer present. I felt like I was having to fight with the car to drive it smoothly before this.

I cannot say enough good things about the DSG upgrade here, it literally changes the dynamics of the whole driving experience. This car really should have this DSG tune from the factory. The clunky "lets save gas" mentality of the OEM tune makes no sense now after this experience. This is a GTI....it is not really meant to be treated like an econobox car, and the OEM DSG tune I realize now by comparison literally wrecks the GTI experience. Not kidding.

Unitronic's DSG Stage 1 tune is really that good, an absolute vast improvement even if you don't do the engine tune. For anyone wanting a smoother drive train experience under any condition, i.e., normal around town pottering, or highway craziness, this product really delivers. I would state its the best upgrade I have done to date hands down.

Now for the ECU tune.

I purchased the Unitronic Stage 1+ for 93 octane. When you purchase the +, you can also de-tune down to just Stage 1 for 87 octane, or back to stock (using the Uni cable). I did not want to go any higher for tuning because I don't want the chore of changing down pipes, inter-coolers etc....I just wanted the "feel" or "perception" of more available power for the driving experience to be....more comfortable.

The Stage 1+ tune can be as mild as a kitty cat under normal city driving, but although it is faily transparent, you can actually feel that it has more power and torque at the lower rpms (1500-3000 even light pedal), but put your foot in it ......and then observe the shock you will be in :eek:.

This is the part where the big smile comes on!:D

The tune really allows the car to pull a whole lot better, in fact cleaner and smoother (no hesitation) and really makes the car more responsive. It does work very well in conjunction with the DSG tune to make for a perfect combination of shift changes coupled to engine power points, therefore I would recommend if you tune the engine, you really should do the DSG tune as well. (However, and again, even the DSG tune by itself will make for a rewarding experience).

They have done a fantastic job with this product, and I would highly recommend it.

Finally, I am not a racer, not by any stretch, and given the opportunity to take something on for a street race, I would decline. I only wanted to improve the drive-ability of the car, to add more capable power so that it can be "felt", basically to feel like the car is always more capable when it can be, even though I mostly wont want to get into it, and to also upgrade the crappy shift points of the existing DSG OEM software which was noticable the first day I drove it off the lot when new.

In short... I AM WELL PLEASED for the investment and for the vast improvement it has made to my car.

Bravo Unitronic!

BTW, I am a regular customer and not affiliated with ShopDAP or Unitronic in any way, shape or form. Just one hell of a satisfied customer! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:)

Thanks for sharing this. Glad you're happy with it.

Will likely go Unitronic in the spring.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Thanks for sharing this. Glad you're happy with it.

Will likely go Unitronic in the spring.

No regrets at all here, it has really transformed the car for the better in so many ways, and it feels like its all OEM (but with more power and much better behavior on the tranny). I really look forward to driving it now as opposed to fighting it. Be glad to help out with any further questions. All the best!:)

triharderken

Ready to race!
Installed my Pinalloy paddle extensions. I got them for $21 shipped on Black Friday. Overall they're much better than the undersized stock plastic paddles.

UPSIDES:
- The look of the top portion above the stock plastic paddle
- The -/+on the tips are easily visible
- The don't obscure the lighted -/+
- The price: $21 after coupon & free s/h
- The black color doesn't stand out too much or look too out of place

Downsides:
- The look if the bottom portion under the plastic paddle is too fat for no reason I can see.
- The fit & finish is better than what $21 should provide, but isn't great by objective standards. See pic of the + extension below.
- The set screws are silver and stick out against the black stock paddles and my black extensions.
- There is no machined texture or raised lip on the back like the ones from S2T, Leyo Motorsports, etc. They are smooth until a beveled edge which is a bit too "sharp." It would never cut/hurt you, it just doesn't feel like quality. "Sharp" is the wrong word, but it feels like it could have used a filing or a different casting; well, not for $21! [emoji23]

Overall, a great $21 mod!

I also installed a pair of Osram H7 Night Breaker Laser I bought from www.powerbulbs.com for $26.99. Installation was easy, but I won't really know how they do until it gets dark. I'll try to get some pics tonight to show how the light looks against the HIDs and DRLs.

NickC

Ready to race!
Golf ball you say?

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice, but still prefer the look of the stock shifter. Honestly the Boomba's lower height grabs my attention. I am not dogging BFI, the shift knobs are beautiful, but at $120-$160 I think they're a little steep for my taste. Probably just gonna go the route of added weight on the other end.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Mounted the Pretorias. :) I'm happy now.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Until next week ;P

Looks good man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Did seem that way for a while. Two different sets of aftermarket wheels in about 2 weeks and now Pretorias. :D