GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Changed the O2 sensor and I'm still getting the codes. All I can guess is that maybe there's some corrosion in the plug that wasn't an issue until I broke the contact between the old plug and the wiring harness. That connection being under the car is probably not ideal even if it is somewhat protected by the plastic cover, I'm sure water and crud from the engine bay still gets in there. There was no visual damage to anything other than the O2 sensor wire.

I guess I'll go back in and clean the connections later and maybe swap in a new plug just because I can.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
My OBDeleven has more than paid for itself, and it’s pretty easy to swap the DRLs between fogs, headlights, or off with it. I basically keep it plugged in 100% of the time so I can check codes while driving… because these days my CEL is lit more often than not. :(

Better plan to replace the CEL Light soon, otherwise you won't know if it's off or just wore out. ;)

Changed the O2 sensor and I'm still getting the codes. All I can guess is that maybe there's some corrosion in the plug that wasn't an issue until I broke the contact between the old plug and the wiring harness. That connection being under the car is probably not ideal even if it is somewhat protected by the plastic cover, I'm sure water and crud from the engine bay still gets in there. There was no visual damage to anything other than the O2 sensor wire.

I guess I'll go back in and clean the connections later and maybe swap in a new plug just because I can.

It's possible the dead critter impact damaged the wiring harness upstream from the O2 connector? If it yanked on it hard enough might have damaged it.

Me? Well, started getting the gas cap light and then full evap leak code back at the last track weekend. Blamed the wife for not tightening the cap good, then it came back after a few weeks. Gas cap is only 3 years old as I had to replace it for the same issue when I bought it. But my filler hose inlet has always looked a bit rough, not bad, but not 'normal' either you know. Wonder if that is contributing to early failure. I also noticed as I went to buy a new one that I bought a new OEM last time from ECS but it is just a black plain cap. I went to FCP Euro this time cause I figure I don't feel like buying another cap in 3 more years (also ECS wouldn't let me expedite shipping due to the brake fluid I was ordering too, FCP let me upgrade shipping so I could get it done last weekend before my last track weekend this week.) and they show a cap with all the OEM like writing and text warnings on the cap and the threads are green, not black. So we shall see if it lasts longer.

And of course, the fresh brake flush with RBF660, she's all ready for the last thrash around the track before off season and the laundry list of projects to be attempted before the March opener.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It's possible the dead critter impact damaged the wiring harness upstream from the O2 connector? If it yanked on it hard enough might have damaged it.
It's possible, but I had a close look for that kind of damage and I couldn't find any. There's a thin piece of bent metal coming off of the bottom of the car that's used to hold the O2 sensor's wire in place and I imagine that, or the weak and easy to remove plastic bracket that holds the plugs where they connect would break before any damage was done to the car's wiring harness.

Basically if you grab the exposed O2 sensor wire and yank really hard you're going to break some things that looked perfectly fine under my car.

To me it looks like something sharp cut into the wire as opposed to damage caused by something heavy yanking on it. Like if I took a serrated blade and just hacked at it. Whatever it was cut straight through all the insulation and maybe half way through one of the actual wires without completely severing it. I'm guessing what I hit was an armadillo and the shell is what slashed into the wire.

I have some contact cleaner on the way

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
2 weeks later and the damn thing won’t start again. Same symptoms: crank-no start & pissing fuel.

Really need to find a book of matches
So the car was towed back to the shop only to find the injector that was just replaced having the same issue. This time the car got a new fuel rail, another new injector, and all new seals.

Hopefully this concludes this saga.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
I got my car back from the body shop last night! It's all fixed up and looking great. The body shop even managed to get me a replacement wheel for my one severely curbed Detroit, so I think my car actually looks better than before the crash. At any rate, it feels good to back in the GTI.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Winter boots went on yesterday, and checked my spark plug gaps/sockets. No water or oil (couple drops on a rag under plugs 1 and 3). All under or approximately .03", except plug 3 which was just under .04". I checked the discoloration, too, and the electrode is pretty much uncolored.

PXL_20231111_214816819.jpg
PXL_20231111_214512317.jpg

Car feels so much less harsh with my extra 2" of sidewall on my winters, and feels like it pulls even harder. I get this rubberband-y sort of feel when I give it the beans, probably because of that sidewall.

Also, finally scrapping my original donor GTI tomorrow. I'd love to keep it as a test-chassis for when I (someday) fuck around with moving the drivetrain, but a) cost to store it would be more than buying another wrecked car; b) it's overstayed its welcome at my mom's place. Towing it is gonna be fun because it's on 3 wheels, all of which are only loosely connected by the suspension. Makes for a funny pic though.

PXL_20231107_220142922.jpg

PXL_20231107_215323229.jpg

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
My patch hose purge valve fix seems to have worked. Looks like the super glue was enough to ensure a good seal when combined with the hose clamp.

I still haven’t gone back in to clean the O2 sensor connection but the car runs great so I’m not feeling terribly motivated.

Chisel_86

Drag Racing Champion
Did an oil change yesterday and installed the GFB DV+. I know it doesn’t add boost, but it feels like it builds quicker. Also washed and coated it today while it was overcast. I picked up a free gallon of F11 TopCoat from the neighborhood FB group so I put some to use to see how it does when the rain comes later tonight. My neighbors were probably like, who’s gonna tell him? Lol
IMG_8710.jpeg

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Did an oil change yesterday and installed the GFB DV+. I know it doesn’t add boost, but it feels like it builds quicker. Also washed and coated it today while it was overcast. I picked up a free gallon of F11 TopCoat from the neighborhood FB group so I put some to use to see how it does when the rain comes later tonight. My neighbors were probably like, who’s gonna tell him? LolView attachment 295065
Those wheels look great. What are they?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Put in an Antigravity lithium battery and a bluetooth battery tracking module. Battery is about 15 lbs. Pretty noticeable difference in steering response.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.png
    IMG_2028.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2030.png
    IMG_2030.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2046.png
    IMG_2046.png
    4 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
Made a change to Driven DT40 no more LiquiMoly. Now she gets Porsche Juice. Was hoping to go to the 1/4 mile today but just dint have time

Last edited:

jedred1

jedred1
At 115,074 miles now. Summer wheels off and winter wheels on. Oil and filter changed. Cabin filter changed. Now gearing up for spark plugs and DSG fluid and filter at 120,000