GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

weird mirror adjustment issue

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
The issue started where my right blind spot warning indicator stopped working properly. To troubleshoot, I took it to the dealer and they ran diagnostics.

They found that the issue was that the LED burnt out, and offered to put in a new one (at a cost of course). I decided to skip and bought two new mirrors with the proper mirrors to reduce blind spot as a whole.
5G0857521M
5G0857522M

I installed the right side, and sure enough on start-up the light came on again, same with the drivers side. As you know when you pop out the mirror, you need to get your fingers under it so I went to adjust them.

At first I didn't notice it, but

When I have it set to adjust the right mirror, I can adjust it just fine...
When I have to adjust the left mirror, it adjusts BOTH the left and right mirror.

At first I didn't realize it, until I tried tweaking one of the mirrors while driving, since it seemed a bit off after the install. Then I seemed to get into a loop of 'oh weird now that one is off'...it wasn't until I got home that I realized what was happening.

Could I have screwed up some wiring or something? I am like 99% sure the wires going to the mirror itself are not related to the motor but rather the one with the insulated plug = blind spot monitor, and the other two wires are for the heated mirror. If anything, could it have been the dealership that screwed something up?

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yea it’s a setting that can be enabled via OBD. You should be able to turn it off in your side mirror settings or whatever on your infotainment screen

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
The issue started where my right blind spot warning indicator stopped working properly. To troubleshoot, I took it to the dealer and they ran diagnostics.

They found that the issue was that the LED burnt out, and offered to put in a new one (at a cost of course). I decided to skip and bought two new mirrors with the proper mirrors to reduce blind spot as a whole.
5G0857521M
5G0857522M

I installed the right side, and sure enough on start-up the light came on again, same with the drivers side. As you know when you pop out the mirror, you need to get your fingers under it so I went to adjust them.

At first I didn't notice it, but

When I have it set to adjust the right mirror, I can adjust it just fine...
When I have to adjust the left mirror, it adjusts BOTH the left and right mirror.

At first I didn't realize it, until I tried tweaking one of the mirrors while driving, since it seemed a bit off after the install. Then I seemed to get into a loop of 'oh weird now that one is off'...it wasn't until I got home that I realized what was happening.

Could I have screwed up some wiring or something? I am like 99% sure the wires going to the mirror itself are not related to the motor but rather the one with the insulated plug = blind spot monitor, and the other two wires are for the heated mirror. If anything, could it have been the dealership that screwed something up?

Did you somehow enable the synchronized mirror adjustment setting on the infotainment?

Select the car menu>>setup>>mirrors and wipers>>synchronous adjustment

I honestly can't remember if that's something that is available in the infotainment, or if it had to be turned on through OBDII or VCDS...

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Once it
Did you somehow enable the synchronized mirror adjustment setting on the infotainment?

I honestly can't remember if that's something that is available in the infotainment, or if it had to be turned on through OBDII or VCDS...
Once it’s enabled in adaptations, you can toggle it on and off in your infotainment settings

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Once it

Once it’s enabled in adaptations, you can toggle it on and off in your infotainment settings

Ah, yeah I couldn’t remember if I enabled that in OBDII. I must have when I did my mirror install.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

This did it!

Thanks all for your help! Obviously I didn't touch it myself, and I had no idea where to start. It could have been they flashed one of the buses to the latest to ensure it wasn't a software issue, or something??

Regardless, I happy to report I wasn't going crazy when I was driving for the first time with these mirrors....oh that is a bit low...oh now that other side is a bit higher, am I sitting differently? fix it...why is this side now looking at the ground...maybe when I adjusted it I had it on the wrong setting, let me adjust...

I had also replaced both mirrors, so the issue was also how far out or in from the car I could see, with new asymmetrical and convex (I think they were) mirrors to add to the large brain WTF! I should have done it during the day too...

Reactions: krs